Located just 10 miles from downtown Kansas City, Independence is an ideal suburban town for seniors. In fact, out of its more than 116,000 residents, 17.8% are aged 65 and over. Seniors have access to some of the state’s premier medical facilities, including the Centerpoint Medical Center and Saint Luke’s Hospital. Nursing home costs in Independence are lower than the national average. According to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, the average monthly cost for a semiprivate room in Independence is $6,844 compared to the national average of $7,756.

Nursing home services are ideal for seniors who require 24/7 skilled nursing supervision and monitoring. The skilled care teams at nursing homes handle everything from medication management to frequent wellness checks. Nursing home costs tend to be higher than many other senior care options. Seniors who don’t require around-the-clock care may want to consider more affordable options, including home health care and assisted living.

This guide compares nursing home costs in Independence with those in nearby cities. It also looks at the costs of other types of senior care in Independence and provides a list of resources that may be helpful to area seniors and their loved ones.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Independence, MO

Villages of Jackson Creek

19400 E 40th Street Ct South, Independence, MO, 64057

Villages of Jackson Creek is located in Independence, Missouri, home to the Truman Library and Museum, Community of Christ Temple and the Frontier Trails Museum. Visitors note the cleanliness of the f … (read more)

The Groves Retirement Community

1515 West White Oak Street, Independence, MO, 64050

The Groves Retirement Community is located in Independence, Missouri, near Interstate 435, U.S. Highway 24 and Harry S. Truman Library and Museum. Visitors say the inside is nice, staff is gracious an … (read more)

Independence Manor Care Center

1600 SOUTH KINGSHIGHWAY, Independence, MO, 64055

Thank you brandon for taking care of my mother, your thoughts an prayers kept us going in our time of need , thank you so much an god bless

Sunterra Springs Independence

19200 E 37th Terrace S, Independence, MO, 64057

My mom is in Sunterra Springs Independence for rehab. It’s very clean, I think the people are skilled, they are working with her this morning for rehab. I’ve been very impressed with the facility and … (read more)

Maywood Terrace Living Center

10300 EAST TRUMAN RD, Independence, MO, 64052

My mother has been a resident of Maywood for over 2 years. My bother and I visit often and are happy with the way mom is being treated. Mom tells us she is treated good. I noticed the staff is dedicat … (read more)

VILLAGES OF JACKSON CREEK, THE

3980 SOUTH JACKSON DRIVE, Independence, MO, 64057

My mom transferred from the hospital to a rehab care facility at Villages of Jackson Creek. They have a spot for my father. We’re just trying to get everything ready and figured out, so we can go ahea … (read more)

Monterey Park Nursing Center

4600 Little Blue Parkway, Independence, MO, 64057

(read more)
(read more)

Golden Livingcenter – Independence

17451 EAST MEDICAL CENTER PARKWAY, Independence, MO, 64057

The staff are so personable and genuinely kind and caring. I had to place my mom here and I feel that I made a safe decision for her. I feel that she is in good hands here. The staff take good care of … (read more)

Carmel Hills Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center

810 EAST WALNUT, Independence, MO, 64050

My mother-in-law is currently with Carmel Hills Healthcare and Rehab Center. The staff seems very caring. The facility is very clean and very secure. The administrative staff is unbelievably helpful w … (read more)

Rehabilitation Center Of Independence, The

1800 S Swope Drive , Independence, MO, 64057

My family member was given the wrong medications before. (given someone else’s medications) I have also visited her and taken her to the bathroom and found that she had on two pull-up diapers. A soaki … (read more)

Ignite Medical Resort Blue Springs

20511 E Trinity Pl, Blue Springs, MO, 64015

I’m in rehab right now at Ignite Medical Resort Blue Springs. The therapy is great, the meals are very good, the rooms are spacious, and the staff is good. They have bingo, dominoes, live music, and t … (read more)

St. Mary’s Village

111 Mock Avenue, Blue Springs, MO, 64014

St. Mary’s Village is located in Blue Springs, Missouri, just northeast of St. Mary’s Medical Center and near Adam’s Pointe Golf Club and various shops and restaurants. Visitors are impressed with the … (read more)

Saint Luke’s Bishop Spencer Place

4301 MADISON AVENUE, Kansas City, MO, 64111

The staff claims they lost my mom’s paperwork and were unable to get it to the social worker to confirm visits, so visiting my mom was next to impossible. When I visited – In the morning (9:30am), I … (read more)

Seasons Day Services

15600 WOODS CHAPEL ROAD, Kansas City, MO, 64139

My mother was at this nursing facility for a number of years. I think some of the staff were good and really tried. The issue is that they were terribly understaffed. As a result, my mother was not w … (read more)

Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care

4301 NE Parvin Road, Kansas City, MO, 64117

Rooms are awesome. The staff go beyond excellent!!! The activities are personalized to the needs of the patient. Staff, especially the Asst. Director of Nursing – Ariel goes above and beyond to become … (read more)

Ignite Medical Resorts-UNIV OF KS (KCK)

3910 Rainbow Blvd Unit 400, Kansas City, KS, 66103

My sister was in Ignite Medical Resorts for rehab. The overall experience was good. She loved the food, she loved the atmosphere, it just seemed like the right place for her. The accommodations were n … (read more)

Autumn Terrace Health and Rehabilitation

6124 Raytown Rd, Raytown, MO, 64133

The reason why I chose Autumn Terrace Health and Rehabilitation (Benchmark) for my mom is because they were able to work with me financially. Their staff is good and helpful. The nurses and doctors ar … (read more)

Wilshire at Lakewood

600 N E MEADOWVIEW DRIVE, Lees Summit, MO, 64064

Mom was very sick and the staff was attentive to her needs until the end.
Mom was very sick and the staff was attentive to her needs until the end.

Ashton Court Care and Rehabilitation Centre

1200 West College Drive, Liberty, MO, 64068

This facility truly has the BEST staff! Please know that our family is eternally grateful for all of the staff who continue to care for our family member. The team is warm, loving, and they make sure … (read more)

Pleasant Valley Manor Care Center

6814 SOBBIE ROAD, Liberty, MO, 64068

Pleasant Valley looked very clean, but the decor wasn’t to my taste because it was cluttered looking. I also didn’t like the shower facilities. We looked into one room, and it seemed OK. The beaut … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Independence, Missouri

Monthly nursing home costs in Independence range from $6,844 for a semiprivate room to $7,452 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

When comparing monthly costs for semiprivate rooms in nursing homes, costs in Independence at $6,844 are $912 lower than the national average of $7,756 and $1,764 higher than the state average of $5,080. In fact, the Independence area has some of the highest nursing home costs in the state. Rates in Independence are $1,278 higher than the monthly costs in Joplin ($5,566) and $1,673 higher than costs in Springfield ($5,171). As you travel northeast, the difference is even more significant. For example, monthly nursing home costs in Independence are $1,904 higher than Columbia’s costs of $4,940.

$6844

Springfield

$4940

Columbia

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

When determining which type of senior care is right for you, it’s important to compare costs. Adult daycare is the cheapest service level available, averaging just $1,625 per month. Seniors requiring more personalized care may want to consider home care or home health care services, which have average monthly costs of $4,576. If 24/7 supervision is necessary, assisted living is a viable option at $4,460 per month. A private room in a nursing home in Independence costs $7,452 per month, while a semiprivate room costs $6,844.

$4576

Adult day care

$4460

Assisted living

$6844

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$7452

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Independence was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Kansas City, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Independence, Missouri

Free Resources for Seniors in Independence, Missouri

Below is a list of resources available to seniors living in the Independence area. Support from these agencies may enable seniors to delay the need for nursing home services and allow them to remain in their homes longer. These supportive services can also help seniors as they transition into a nursing home setting.

ResourceContactService
Mid-America Regional Council – Department of Aging and Adult Services(816) 421-4980The Mid-America Regional Council- Department of Aging and Adult Services offers support to seniors through its Managed Services Network. This program helps to connect seniors with medical providers, insurance companies and community organizations to ensure they receive the services they need to maintain physical and mental well-being. It also operates the county’s Long-Term Care Ombudsman program.
Palmer Center(813) 325-6200The Palmer Center caters specifically to seniors aged 60 and over. It hosts a variety of events throughout the year that promote mental, social and physical well-being. The center also offers nutritional meals in its main dining hall.
OATS Transit(888) 875-6287OATS Transit offers ride-share transportation in 87 Missouri counties, including Jackson. Seniors can arrange transportation to and from medical appointments, shopping trips and other necessary errands. Transportation is available Monday to Friday, and rides must be booked 24 hours in advance. Most rides are covered by Medicaid and the area’s Agency on Aging.
Independence Meals on Wheels(816) 254-9566The Independence Meals on Wheels program provides home-delivered meals to seniors living in the greater Independence area. Volunteers deliver hot meals to seniors’ homes Monday through Friday.