Kansas City features both historic sites and a significant number of older adults: 152,960 residents call the city home, and 11.9% of them are seniors 65 years of age or older. Those elders have access to high-end medical facilities, with one example being the University of Kansas Hospital and its various specialty centers. Another option is the Providence Medical Center, which also features a robust array of services. Many nursing homes, too, are present. The median rate for a semiprivate room in a Kansas City nursing home is $6,844. Nationwide, an average semiprivate room costs $7,756 per month, which is over $900 more.

Nursing home residents pay relatively high premiums because these facilities offer a level of care unsurpassed outside of hospitals. Residents can usually expect 24-hour assistance and monitoring, plus the presence of licensed nurses, therapists and other medical professionals. Older adults may also wish to consider assisted living or home health care, which are less expensive and are meant for seniors with higher levels of capabilities.

This guide assesses Kansas City’s nursing home prices and rates offered by other options. It closes with an overview of certain senior-focused resources serving the Kansas City area.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Kansas City, KS

Medicalodges Kansas City

6261 LEAVENWORTH RD, Kansas City, KS, 66104

My mother and my cousin were patients at Medicalodges. My mom was there twice for rehabilitation. I was very satisfied with their service. They will keep you inform. It was like a family facility. The … (read more)

Providence Place Ltcu

8909 Parallel Pky, Kansas City, KS, 66112

Providence Place was our first choice for my mother-in-law. Unfortunately, they didn’t have any availability at that time. I like best the people and the setup of the actual building. It wasn’t huge. … (read more)

Ignite Medical Resorts-UNIV OF KS (KCK)

3910 Rainbow Blvd Unit 400, Kansas City, KS, 66103

My sister was in Ignite Medical Resorts for rehab. The overall experience was good. She loved the food, she loved the atmosphere, it just seemed like the right place for her. The accommodations were n … (read more)

Riverbend Post Acute Rehabilitation

7850 Freeman Ave, Kansas City, KS, 66112

I toured Riverbend Post Acute Rehabilitation. It’s near, I liked it, and it’s nice and neat. I knew people that live there, but I couldn’t afford it. The rooms and the staff were really nice. They … (read more)

Healthcare Resort of Kansas

8900 Parallel Parkway, Kansas City, KS, 66112

My friend Randy was there for 3-5 days. When I visited on 11-28-21, his bed was not made. No wastebasket, clock had no battery. I went back at 6 pm, nothing had changed. Found out friends had asked fo … (read more)

Life Care Center of Kansas City

3231 N 61ST ST, Kansas City, KS, 66104

Life Care Center of Kansas City is an assisted living facility located in Kansas City, Kansas, near the Missouri River and less than 11 miles from the University of Kansas Medical Center. Residents an … (read more)

Medicalodges Post Acute Care Center

6500 GREELEY AVE, Kansas City, KS, 66104

Armour Oaks Senior Living

8100 WORNALL ROAD, Kansas City, MO, 64114

Armour Oaks Senior Living is located in a peaceful neighborhood just outside of Kansas City, MO. Guests have access to a fitness room, book club, religious services and cooking classes. Further amenit … (read more)

Brookdale Rosehill

12802 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS, 66216

Brookdale Rosehill is located in a quiet neighborhood in Shawnee, Kansas, near Veterans Park and Shawnee County Library. Visitors are impressed by the facility’s clean private rooms and its wide varie … (read more)

Linden Woods Village

2901 North East 72nd Street, Gladstone, MO, 64119

You get a warm and fuzzy feeling when you come to this facility. The employees are very attentive and I noticed the residents seem very happy. The appearance was very homey and I appreciated all of th … (read more)

Claridge Court

8101 Mission Road, Prairie Village, KS, 66208

When I went to visit my grandmother for her 91st birthday the experience was amazing. The staff threw a birthday party for my grandmother and brought in other residents who spend a lot of time with my … (read more)

Sharon Lane Health and Rehabilitation

10315 Johnson Drive, Shawnee, KS, 66203

My dad was there for a short time for rehabilitation – they have an amazing staff – everyone involved had nothing but the best for my father – no complaints

Maywood Terrace Living Center

10300 EAST TRUMAN RD, Independence, MO, 64052

My mother has been a resident of Maywood for over 2 years. My bother and I visit often and are happy with the way mom is being treated. Mom tells us she is treated good. I noticed the staff is dedicat … (read more)

Saint Luke’s Bishop Spencer Place

4301 MADISON AVENUE, Kansas City, MO, 64111

The staff claims they lost my mom’s paperwork and were unable to get it to the social worker to confirm visits, so visiting my mom was next to impossible. When I visited – In the morning (9:30am), I … (read more)

Northland Rehabilitation & Health Care

4301 NE Parvin Road, Kansas City, MO, 64117

Rooms are awesome. The staff go beyond excellent!!! The activities are personalized to the needs of the patient. Staff, especially the Asst. Director of Nursing – Ariel goes above and beyond to become … (read more)

Overland Park Nursing & Rehab Center

6501 W 75TH ST, Overland Park, KS, 66204

The staff were warm and caring and helpful. The facility is clean and beautiful.

Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab

9700 West 62nd Street, Merriam, KS, 66203

Trinity Nursing & Rehab Center is a pretty nice place. They’ve got some staffing problems and terrible problems with parking. They have a lot of good activities, but there are too many people ther … (read more)

Riverside Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

4700 Cliffview Drive, Riverside, MO, 64150

I was impressed at the cleanliness of the facility and the effort to maintain the appearance of the facility. Decore was clean and crisp and tasteful. Staff were so helpful and willing to provid … (read more)

Parkway Health Care Center

2323 Swope Parkway, Kansas City, MO, 64130

My dad has been in Parkway Health & Rehab since December. It’s not good. They are doing some renovation in an attempt to make it more cosmetically appealing, but I don’t care what the place looks … (read more)

Cherry Hills Community & Rehabilitation Center

724 Northeast 79th Terrace , Kansas City, MO, 64118

Really happy I chose this place for my mother! She’s constantly telling me how happy she is. Great place.

Nursing Home Costs in Kansas City, KS

In Kansas City’s nursing homes, the average monthly rates for semiprivate and private rooms are $6,844 and $7,452, respectively.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

With semiprivate rooms costing $6,844 on average, Kansas City offers lower nursing home prices than the typical American city. However, Kansas City’s average is slightly higher than the statewide median rate of $6,692.

Turning to nearby cities, Manhattan is a notably inexpensive choice for Kansans: Its median cost is $5,735. Wichita, meanwhile, is fairly comparable to Kansas City, with a rate of $6,829. Topeka is a more expensive option. Its rate is $7,612. Finally, in Lawrence, seniors typically pay over $1,000 more for nursing home care than they do in Kansas City.

$6844

Manhattan

$6829

Wichita

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

In Kansas City, the cheapest senior living arrangement is adult day health care, at $1,625 per month on average. Assisted living typically costs $4,460, while both home care and home health care have a median rate of $4,576. Representing the most expensive option are nursing homes, where semiprivate rooms cost $6,844 and private rooms cost $7,452.

$4576

Adult day health care

$4460

Assisted living

$6844

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$7452

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Kansas City, KS, was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Kansas City, MO, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Kansas City, KS

Free Resources for Seniors in Kansas City, KS

Kansas City’s seniors can make the aging process easier by leaning on local resources such as those covered below. Some of these resources’ offerings are aimed at residents of long-term care facilities or older adults considering transitioning to one. Others are meant to extend the period during which seniors can continue living in their own homes.

ResourceContact Service
Kansas Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program(913) 236-9385
The Kansas LTC Ombudsman Program helps long-term care residents by working to resolve complaints and problems and educating residents on their rights. The program’s representatives also interact with facilities’ care providers to emphasize person-centered approaches. Seniors and their families can contact the program to learn more about their long-term care options.
Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas(800) 860-5260
SCHICK’s counselors educate seniors on how Medicare coverage works, covering topics such as eligibility rules, the enrollment process and how to handle moving to Medicare Advantage. Seniors can also contact SCHICK with questions about prescription drug coverage and to request information on long-term care. Help with claims is also available through SCHICK.
Wyandotte/Leavenworth Area Agency on Aging(913) 573-8531The AAA is a local conduit through which Kansas City’s seniors can reach a SCHICK counselor. Beyond that, the AAA offers home-delivered meals and options counseling that assists with long-term care planning. It also runs an assessment program that seniors must participate in before admission to a nursing home.
Habitat for Humanity of Kansas City(816) 924-1096
Habitat for Humanity can help seniors keep their homes in good condition. The organization’s restoration programs cover minor repairs, such as exterior painting and window fixes, plus critical home repairs, including roof and HVAC system replacements. Weatherization services are available as well. The organization can tell clients more about eligibility requirements.
RideKC Freedom(913) 573-8351RideKC Freedom is a paratransit service for which seniors 65 years of age and older are eligible. (Individuals with certain disabilities are also eligible.) Riders pay $3 per one-way trip and can use the service to reach medical appointments and other important destinations. Seniors who complete the RideKC Freedom qualification process also become eligible for the RideKC Bus program, which offers free, fixed-route rides, and RideKC Freedom On-Demand, a pricier but more flexible service.