40 Assisted Living Facilities near Shawnee, KS
Also serving communities of Basehor.
There are 40 Assisted Living Facilities in the Shawnee area, with 4 in Shawnee and 36 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Shawnee is $5,047 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420. Cheaper nearby regions include Overland Park with an average starting cost of $3,937.
To help you with your search, browse the 240 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Shawnee. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Shawnee 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Prairie Village with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Shawnee, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Shawnee, KS
36 Assisted Living Facilities near Shawnee, KS
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Shawnee
The city of Shawnee, Kansas is located in Johnson County and is home to over 65,000 residents. Roughly 12.2 percent of this population are aged 65 and older, and may be in need of assistance with daily tasks and activities.
The term adult care homes (ACHs) is used to refer to communities that provide this type of care, including assisted living facilities (ALFs) and residential health care facilities, both of which are licensed and governed by the Secretary of Aging and Disability Services. In Shawnee, there are currently three ACHs for seniors to choose from, as well as an additional 35 in surrounding communities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Shawnee
- Shawnee has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Johnson County Park & Recreation District's 50 Plus Program, an organization that works to foster a healthy community by providing recreation and leisure opportunities for active adults, as well as a senior center.
- While many Kansas cities are considered quite affordable for seniors, Shawnee is more expensive, particularly in terms of housing and health costs. Based on the U.S. national average of 100, the cost of living in Shawnee is rated 112.8.
- Shawnee is considered quite safe, especially compared to the Kansas City metropolitan area as a whole. Violent crime is rated 15.4 out of 100, with 100 representing high crime, compared to the metro's score of 29.1. Property crime in Shawnee is a bit higher at a rating of 27.3, though still much lower than the 42.9 the area receives.
- Winters in Shawnee can be chilly, though they're relatively mild, with only around 16 inches of snowfall expected. However, summer temperatures climb to the high-80s, and this hot, muggy weather may be uncomfortable for seniors.
- The Shawnee area is served by Kansas City Regional Transit (RideKC). In addition to its fixed-route service, the company offers the RideKC Freedom transportation service for older adults, which now has an app that seniors can download for on-demand, same-day service. Another option is Shawnee CityRide, which provides door-to-door transportation for residents 65 years of age or older.
- Shawnee has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospitals located in Kansas City (University of Kansas Hospital) and Overland Park (MISH Hospital and Clinics).
Paying for Assisted Living in Shawnee
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Shawnee start around $5,047 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Shawnee and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shawnee
Across the state of Kansas, including Shawnee, KanCare, part of the state's Medicaid waiver programs, pays for care services in an ALF to help reduce the financial burden assisted living services can place on seniors. Additionally, the Frail Elderly (FE) waiver can help seniors with the cost of certain care services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Shawnee
Shawnee and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Shawnee, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
The 10 Best Assisted Living Communities in Shawnee Area
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shawnee
Shawnee-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Shawnee, KS
Other Options in Shawnee, KS
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Shawnee
Review of Brookdale Rosehill
My parents are in Brookdale Rosehill. They like the decor and love the food. They have many activities that they're planning to do. I can transition my father from this particular facility to the l... Read more
Review of Brookdale Rosehill
My Grandma was at Brookdale Rosehill for a couple of weeks. The nursing staff was friendly. The facility is beautiful. Our social worker was extremely helpful. The physical therapy got her to work ... Read more
Review of Brookdale Rosehill
This place is understaffed or complacent. It takes hours to get help into a room. No one ever answers the phone when you call to get help. Even calls to the Assistant director , got almost ... Read more