24 Assisted Living Facilities near Olathe, KS
Also serving communities of Gardner, Spring Hill, De Soto.
There are 24 Assisted Living Facilities in the Olathe area, with 7 in Olathe and 17 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Olathe is $4,624 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Lenexa with an average starting cost of $3,530.
To help you with your search, browse the 130 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Olathe. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Olathe 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lenexa with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Olathe, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Olathe, KS
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Olathe
"Olathe" is the Shawnee word for "beautiful," and the modern city of that name does its best to live up to the moniker. This friendly city of 135,000 neighbors has 45 assisted living communities that welcome seniors who need help with some activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing and dressing. These properties are all regulated at the state level by the Kansas Department of Aging and Disability Services, which conducts inspections to ensure good hygiene, health and safety and personal care standards are observed.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Olathe
- Olathe has highly variable weather, depending on the season. Summer highs reach 89 degrees Fahrenheit here, while winter lows can dip down to 20 degrees in December. The area gets around 40 inches of rain a year, with snow common in the colder months and into spring. Dry winds can be an issue for seniors with asthma or COPD.
- The cost of living in Olathe is somewhat higher than elsewhere in the nation. Most of that is in housing and utility costs, however. Areas that affect seniors the most actually tend to be cheaper in Olathe. Groceries here cost about two percent less than average, for instance, while health care costs are four percent lower.
- Kansas charges between 2.9 percent and 5.2 percent tax on most income. Income from SSI and some retirement plans may be exempt, however, so it's a good idea to check with a professional for advice before breaking an IRA or CD. Sales tax can be somewhat high for some categories of goods including luxury items and gasoline.
Crime in Olathe is significantly lower than the national average. Violent and property crimes have been in steep decline in the city since 2002, when the numbers were close to national rates.
- Seniors who depend on public transportation can get around Olathe on TheJo, which operates fixed bus routes in and around Johnson County. Seniors over 60 qualify for discount fares with an approved ID, which can be obtained from the transit authority's office in town.
- The Olathe area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Olathe Health Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Olathe
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Olathe start around $4,624 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Olathe and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Olathe
Seniors who qualify for KanCare, the state's low-income Medicaid program, may qualify for the Frail Elderly Waiver. This program helps pay the many of the costs of assisted living for seniors who would otherwise qualify for placement in a skilled nursing home.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Olathe
Olathe and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Olathe, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Olathe
Olathe-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Olathe, KS
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Olathe
Review of Anthology of Olathe
My father moved into Travanse Living at Olathe, and so far, we haven't had any negative experiences. It's clean, the people are very friendly, they seem to get to know the people that are living th... Read more
Review of Anthology of Olathe
Travanse Living at Olathe was excellent. The rooms were outstanding. It used to be the old Holiday Inn, and they had it remodeled. The marketing director showed me around and gave me a notebook and... Read more
Review of Cedar Lake Village
Cedar Lake Village was very good and I liked that everything was on one level. It's actually a continuing care community, so they go from individual villas, to elderly housing, assisted living, and... Read more