Saint Louis, Missouri, is home to 301,578 residents, of which 13.1% are age 65 or older. With such a significant portion of the population being seniors, the number of deaths due to Alzheimer’s has increased in the city each year. From 2014 to 2018, Saint Louis saw a 59.49% increase in Alzheimer’s deaths, rising from 469 to 748 per year. In contrast, overall deaths in the city increased by just 12.56% for the same period, rising from 7,340 deaths per year in 2014 to 8,262 in 2018. In 2018, Alzheimer’s deaths accounted for 9.05% of all deaths in the city.

Memory care communities and free resources in Saint Louis can help seniors and their loved ones deal with the various stages of Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. Use this guide to learn more about the cost of seeking memory care for a family member in Saint Louis, find out what resources are available and access a list of free organizations and contact information to get started.

Memory Care Facilities in Saint Louis, Missouri

2014, 2021

Autumn View Gardens – St. Louis

11210 Schuetz Rd., Saint Louis, MO, 63146

Autumn View Gardens Assisted Living Creve Coeur is located in St. Louis, Missouri, close to Old Warson Country Club, the St. Louis Zoo and the St. Louis Galleria. Visitors say the staff seem to truly … (read more)

Avalon Memory Care – St. Louis

5342 Butler Hill Rd., Saint Louis, MO, 63128

I am very pleased with Avalon Memory Care St. Louis. They are one of the few places that could take care of my dad’s needs. They are a memory care and assisted living type of place, but it’s more than … (read more)

Mother of Perpetual Help

7601 Watson Road, Saint Louis, MO, 63119

Bethesda Southgate

5943 Telegraph Road, Saint Louis, MO, 63129

My wife has been a resident at Bethesda Southgate in the memory care area for a little over 2 years. I chose southgate after visiting many different locations. I have had some experience in the pas … (read more)

Mattis Pointe Senior Living

4962 Mattis Road, Saint Louis, MO, 63128

Laclede Groves

723 South Laclede Station Road, Saint Louis, MO, 63119

I went to Laclede Groves. It’s a very big place. I looked at it because my husband had friends in the independent living. I was there a couple of months ago. It was a very spacious place, and they had … (read more)

Dougherty Ferry Assisted Living & Memory Care

2929 Dougherty Ferry Road, Saint Louis, MO, 63122

My mom has been at Dougherty Ferry for almost three years and we have had a very positive experience. As my mother’s Alzheimers progressed she was moved into Memory Care Unit. During the first few m … (read more)

McKnight Place Assisted Living

3 Mcknight Place, Saint Louis, MO, 63124

Garden View Care Center of Dougherty Ferry

13612 Big Bend Road, Saint Louis, MO, 63088

Garden View Care Center of Dougherty Ferry was a very nice facility. The staff was very friendly staff, very accommodating, and very nice. I like the layout. I knew what my brother liked. It was reall … (read more)

Family Partners Home

12882 Manchester Rd., Saint Louis, MO, 63131

Sunrise of Webster Groves

45 E. Lockwood Avenue, Webster Groves, MO, 63119

I was really impressed with the gal or the presenter at Sunrise of Webster Groves. They have a beautiful dog, which is so nice. I know my wife would be very happy with that because my oldest daughter … (read more)

Cedarhurst of Granite City

3450 Village Ln, Granite City, IL, 62040

We placed my dad at Cedarhurst of Granite City. It is affordable. It’s a nice facility and was just renovated. The facility is clean. The staff is always very friendly. My dad says the food is good an … (read more)

Anthology of Clayton View

8825 Eager Rd., St. Louis, MO, 63144

I was able to tour the Anthology of Clayton View. It was super nice. There’s a professional gentleman there and he showed me everything. They had all the things that I was looking for with my wife. I … (read more)

Kingsland Walk Senior Living

868 Kingsland Avenue, University City, MO, 63130

Kingsland Walk Senior Living was new, very nice, and had all the same amenities and everything. The staff member toured us to the assisted living and memory care, and he was very knowledgeable and ver … (read more)

St. Louis Hills Assisted Living and Memory Care

6543 Chippewa Street, St. Louis, MO, 63109

My mom is at St. Louis Hills Assisted Living and Memory Care. The place is excellent. The staff is very helpful and very caring. They were patient with us and made sure that my mother felt comfortable … (read more)

Clarendale Clayton

7651 Clayton Road, Clayton, MO, 63117

Sunrise On Clayton

7920 Clayton Road, Richmond Heights, MO, 63117

Sunrise On Clayton is located in Richmond Heights, Missouri, close to Interstates 170 and 64, SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital and the Missouri History Museum. Visitors note the house dog and cat and … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Memory Care in Saint Louis

Since most COVID-19 rules for Memory Care Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Memory Care in Missouri. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Memory Care in Saint Louis

Memory care in Saint Louis, Missouri, is overseen by the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services (DHSS). Through this government department, seniors and their families in Saint Louis and the rest of the state can access programs for abuse and neglect and services such as online reporting, home care, long term care, Medicaid and falls prevention.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Memory Care in Saint Louis

• Saint Louis offers exceptional healthcare opportunities for seniors in the event of a medical emergency. The city has eight hospitals and almost 2500 physicians
  • Through the County Older Residents Program (CORP), seniors in Saint Louis aged 60+ can get free rides (donations accepted) from volunteer drivers, letting them access medical appointments from Monday to Friday between 8 am and 5 pm. Reservations are required.
  • Saint Louis is an affordable city for seniors to live in. Assuming a cost of living index of 100 for the nation, Saint Louis’ cost of living is just 81.3. This is well below the national average and below the Missouri state index of 85.9.
  • Missouri does require individuals to pay income taxes, unlike some other states in the country. The progressive income tax rate ranges from 0% to 5.40% depending on your level of income.
  • The weather in Saint Louis may not be ideal for some seniors, with the city seeing above national average precipitation levels at 42 inches per year. However, the city sees 202 days of sunshine per year on average, which is almost on par with the national average of 205 days.
  • Air quality in Saint Louis is moderate, ranking at 59 US AQI on the index. However, the air quality in the Missouri areas of Saint Louis are better than those in the Metro-East area across the border in Illinois, which rank at an unhealthy rating of 156 US AQI.
  • Saint Louis county is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities. This means the elected leaders of the community have committed to actively working on making the county a great place for people of all age groups to reside in.

Paying for Memory Care in Saint Louis

The average cost of memory care in the U.S. is 20-30% higher than the cost of assisted living. Therefore, for the purposes of this guide, we calculated the cost of memory care for Saint Louis, Missouri, based on the cost of assisted living in Saint Louis plus 25%. Per data from the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2021, the median cost of memory care per month in Saint Louis, MO, is $5125.

The Cost of Memory Care in Nearby Cities

The cost of memory care in Saint Louis, Missouri,  is well above the state average by $1,375 per month but is below the national average by $500. Nearby cities of Jefferson, Columbia and Cape Girardeau all offer more affordable memory care costs by $2,531, $1,625 and $1,952, respectively.

$5125

Columbia, MO

$3173

Cape Girardeau, MO

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

While memory care in Saint Louis, Missouri, costs $5,125, it’s notably more affordable than many other types of senior care in the city. It’s $357 cheaper per month than both homemaker services and hiring a home health aide. For those considering nursing home care for vulnerable seniors, a semi-private room runs $502 more per month than memory care, while a private room is a staggering $1,612 more per month than memory care in Saint Louis. However, assisted living is a more affordable senior care option than memory care, costing $1,025 less per month, while adult day health care is the most affordable senior care option in Saint Louis. It is $3,207 less than memory care per month.

$5482

Adult day health care

$4100

Assisted living

$5627

Nursing home facility, semi-private room

$6737

Nursing home facility, private room

Financial Assistance for Memory Care in Saint Louis

In Saint Louis there are options for seniors who need financial assistance paying for Memory Care. For more information about other options, who qualifies, and how to apply, Memory Care in Missouri page.

More Ways to Pay for Memory Care - Missouri

More Ways to Pay for Memory Care

While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for memory care, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance memory care costs include:

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance memory care, visit our Memory Care in Missouri page.

Free Memory Care Resources in Saint Louis

Seniors in Saint Louis and their families can benefit from access to free resources provided by the county and state of Missouri. Whether you need access to transportation for medical appointments or options for in-home care, it’s possible to connect with the resources you need through Missouri’s DHSS. Here are three free resources for seniors with Alzheimers in Saint Louis to get you started.

Resource

Contact

Service

866-835-3505

The MCO program offers information to residents of Missouri regarding their available options for long term care, including in-home and community care center services. Agents can advise you on available supervised adult day care programs, 24-hour nursing care options, help with laundry and meal preparation and companion programs to offer relief to family caregivers. Qualifying seniors should be Medicaid eligible.

800-272-3900

The Greater Missouri chapter of the Alzheimer's Association serves Saint Louis County and surrounding cities, such as Columbia. They offer 24/7 helpline services in over 200 languages and valuable caregiver resources, including online or phone support and consultations.

Alzheimer's Buddies, in collaboration with the Wesley House Association, launched this program in North Saint Louis in September of 2021. The free program allows your loved one with Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia to meet with a trained college student on Saturdays (under Wesley House staff supervision) to provide family caretakers with a break. The opportunity also provides your loved one with memory or thinking changes a chance to socialize and interact with the student Buddy.

Memory Care Laws and Regulations in Saint Louis

Saint Louis Memory Care Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Memory Care Facilities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Memory Care in Missouri page for more information about these laws.

Laws and Regulations for Memory Care in Missouri