Howell is a township located in Monmouth County that’s home to 53,537 residents. Despite its reputation as a bedroom community for NYC, 13.8% of its residents are aged 65 and older, drawn to its below-average health care costs, exceptionally low crime rates and pleasant climate. There are also 16 parks within the township and plenty of opportunities for seniors to browse its many stores and engage with Howell’s diversity of recreational offerings.

Assisted living is a type of senior care best suited to those finding everyday tasks, such as cooking, more of a struggle, but also determined to hold on to their autonomy. They’re a halfway house between receiving care while being free to continue living semi-independently. Assisted living communities typically include chefs who prepare all meals, housekeeping staff who keep rooms clean and trained staff to manage medications. Some facilities also include laundry services and organize group activities for residents. The average cost for assisted living in Howell is $7,478, which is around $828 per month more than the state average.

The rest of this guide discusses costs in more detail, considers the pros and cons of living in Howell and lists some resources for seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Howell, NJ

2018, 2019, 2022

Brandywine Living At Howell

100 Meridian Place, Howell, NJ, 07731

The staff is awesome. They go out of their way to know each resident and what their preferences are. My mom loves them. The facility is beautiful and well maintained. I am most impressed by Amy, the a … (read more)

2016

Atria Tinton Falls

44 Pine Street, Tinton Falls, NJ, 07753

Atria Senior Living was small and close-knit, which was nice for assisted living. I liked it. The living spaces were small. They have lots of activities, a very nice dining room, lovely staff, and ver … (read more)

Sunrise of Jackson

390 North County Line Road, Jackson, NJ, 08527

The tour at Sunrise of Jackson was very nice and helpful. The appearance was nice and open. The upkeep was good because they were cleaning while I was there. They were good at contacting me and follow … (read more)

2015, 2020

Sunrise of Wall

2600 Allaire Road, Wall, NJ, 07719

My mother moved into Sunrise of Wall. The experience has been very good. It’s very clean, updated, and the staff is fantastic. She has no complaints about the food. They take them to the boardwalk, th … (read more)

Mattison Crossing at Manalapan Avenue

93 Manalapan Avenue, Freehold, NJ, 07728

This is a good place for dad. They are very helpful and provide good communication to all the children. After one year dad is quite happy here and I appreciate the level of care as I live out of … (read more)

Wellington Estates at Spring Lake

2018 Highway 35, Spring Lake, NJ, 07762

Wellington Estates at Spring Lake was a nice place. They have the same accommodations basically as the other facility. Their grounds were very nice. It was an older place, and they had carpeting inste … (read more)

Sunnyside Manor’s Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living

2500 Ridgewood Road, Wall, NJ, 07719

Sunnyside Manor’s Independence ‘Plus’ Assisted Living was clean. The rooms were just too small of a space for where my parents are coming from. We looked at both assisted living and memory care and th … (read more)

Millennium Memory Care – Ocean

111 Bowne Road, Ocean, NJ, 07712

My sister, Liz, has dementia and bipolar disorder. She was only accepted in one place — she is not in good shape — and that is Millennium Memory Care. Sometimes, we get to the facility and the front … (read more)

2013

Seabrook Retirement Community

3000 Essex Road, Tinton Falls, NJ, 07753

Do not have anyone you love or care about live there. They do not take care of you. They never even finished my mother room before she moved in. The closet doors were left off the closet.. room was … (read more)

Leisure Park

1400 Route 70, Lakewood, NJ, 08701

My aunt is a resident of Leisure Park, and I think it’s a good experience. The people that are there are caring. Her room is an efficiency apartment. She’s on her own and she does not have a roommat … (read more)

Bella Terra by Monarch

2 Kathleen Drive, Jackson, NJ, 08527

The people at Bella Terra were very nice and gave me a lovely tour, but it wasn’t what I wanted. I didn’t see a lot of activities going on. It’s an older facility, and it’s a little less clean looking … (read more)

2015, 2018

Brandywine Living at The Gables

515 Jack Martin Blvd, Brick, NJ, 08723

I went to Brandywine Living at The Gables. The people are super nice; they couldn’t be any nicer. The place is a little older, and the rooms are small. For me, the location was good as far as visiting … (read more)

2015, 2019

Brandywine Living at Wall

2021 Highway 35, Wall, NJ, 07719

Our parents had homes in Avon and Florida for many years. When the pandemic hit, my sister and I felt they would be safer in Florida. But sadly both contracted Covid eight months later. Our … (read more)

The Chelsea at Brick

458 Jack Martin Blvd, Brick, NJ, 08724

My mother loved The Chelsea at Brick, but when she had a fall, she went downhill as far as being able to do things more for herself. She was able to take care of her bathing herself and things like th … (read more)

Monmouth Crossing Assisted Living

560 Iron Bridge Rd., Freehold, NJ, 07728

We liked Monmouth Crossing Assisted Living and the size of it. The woman we spoke with gave us every bit of information and was not pushy. The place was nice, clean, and smelled good. They had buses t … (read more)

The Lakewood Courtyard

52 Madison Avenue, Lakewood, NJ, 08701

My father is in The Lakewood Courtyard. Everything there is fine, and everybody is friendly. It is affordable, and it is the right place for his needs. The rooms are fine and spacious. They have a lot … (read more)

The Orchards at Bartley Assisted Living

100 North County Line Road, Jackson, NJ, 08527

My sister spent almost 2 years before her passing here at the orchards. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, especially in times of need. I wanted to thank the staff for their compassion and … (read more)

Spring Oak of Toms River

2145 Whitesville Road, Toms River, NJ, 08755

My father is at Spring Oak at Tom River. My grandmother has been there before as well and they had an opening right away. I like that the nurses and the staff communicate very well and they know my da … (read more)

FountainView Care Center

527 River Avenue, Lakewood, NJ, 08701

The chef/cooks/workers were amazing. However, my sister died in their care. During Covid, my sister got it and they did not call a parent for 3 days after my sister got it. I had to beg the front d … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Howell

The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services is responsible for issuing licenses to assisted living facilities and ensuring they abide by its conditions. To ensure compliance, the department’s inspectors make unannounced visits and review other sources of information, such as complaints registered with the Long-Term Care Ombudsman.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Howell

• Howell has a cost of living index almost one point above the state average of 120.4, which is above the national average of 100. Although this may make the township appear expensive, costs are generally in line with New Jersey, which is one of the most costly states in the union. Where Howell diverges is health care costs, which, at 89.9, are significantly lower than the national average of 100.
  • Crime is much less of an issue in Howell than it is in other areas. Violent crime, in particular, is very low, with the chances of being a victim at 1 in 1,593, while the state average is 1 in 483 (almost half the national average). Property crime too is low, at 1 in 138, around half the state average, which is also lower than the national average.
  • Howell Primary Care is a general hospital and the principal medical facility within the township. Facilities within a 20-minute radius include the southern campus of Monmouth Medical Center and Hackensack Meridian Jersey Shore University Medical Center. In addition to the township’s access to a wide choice of medical facilities, its residents also enjoy an average lifespan of 81 years, which is above the national average of 78.7 years.
  • Howell has a relatively senior-friendly climate, despite winter lows often dropping to 23 degrees. In summer, the dial often sits at a comfortable 84 degrees and seniors get to enjoy four more days than the country’s average of 2005. Snowfall isn’t as common, although it still reaches 23 inches annually, and rainfall is about 10 inches more than the 38 experienced by the typical American city.
  • Members of the Howell Senior Center are eligible for free transportation to and from the facility, in addition to trips as part of its group activities. The center’s buses are fully equipped for wheelchair users.

Paying for Assisted Living in Howell

In reviewing data published in the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey, it’s clear that Howell’s average assisted living costs are above the state and national averages by 11.8% and 42.5%, respectively

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Howell is one of the most costly locations in New Jersey for assisted living, which may be a reflection of the township’s appeal to seniors. More affordable locations exist further south. In Atlantic City, an assisted living placement typically costs $5,790, while in Vineland, it’s $6,523. Just over the border, in Philadelphia, costs are lower still, at $5,550.

$7478

Vineland

$5550

Philadelphia, PA

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Senior care fees usually reflect the provider’s costs and the type of service, such as home care, which averages $4,910, and home health care, which costs an additional $47 because it includes basic medical support. Adult day care centers have the lowest costs at $1,788. Senior care with accommodation is the most expensive, with assisted living coming in at $7,478 and a private room in a nursing home facility typically costing $10,783. However, families can save $1,216 per month if they opt for a semiprivate room.

$4910

Adult day health care

$7478

Assisted living

$10783

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$11999

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Howell was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Trenton, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Howell

Assisted living services in Howell may be covered under the state’s Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports waiver.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in New Jersey

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Howell

Howell Township and Monmouth County have made many resources available to their older residents, some of which are listed here. These examples can help seniors handle disputes with their care providers, know where to get medical help if they served in the military and find local nonprofits that will help them support their communities.

Resource

Contact

Service

Seniors concerned about the quality of their care or unable to resolve disagreements with their care providers can call on the assistance of the Long-Term Care Ombudsman. Advocating for the senior, the ombudsman will investigate the complaint and pursue a resolution with the owner or manager of the facility. The ombudsman can also investigate complaints made by others and provide copies of inspection reports to seniors comparing different facilities, enabling them to make more informed decisions.

(848) 206-2037

Based at the Volunteer Center in Wall Township, United Way of Monmouth and Ocean Counties connects seniors with local nonprofit organizations that rely on the help of volunteers. Seniors dictate the amount of time they can spare and the agency links them to a suitable nonprofit that could use their skills and experience to support the community. Work can vary greatly, such as delivering meals to homebound seniors, doing clerical work in an office and mentoring the county's younger residents.

The James J. Howard Veterans' Outpatient Clinic serves Monmouth County's vets and their families. It provides primary care services, performs surgeries, manages mental health care programs and includes an immunology department. The site also has pharmacists, optometrists, podiatrists and dentists. Patients in need of specialist care unavailable at the clinic are transferred to the East Orange VA Medical Center in Newark, which is just over an hour away.

Monmouth County Office on Aging is the local Area Agency on Aging, a multi-resource service dedicated to supporting the county's older residents. Much of its work relates to seniors residing at home. However, of particular interest to assisted living residents will be the support the agency can provide if they need transportation assistance and want to join one of the county's senior centers.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Howell

Howell-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Jersey