27 Assisted Living Facilities near Merritt Island, FL
There are 27 Assisted Living Facilities in the Merritt Island area, with 10 in Merritt Island and 17 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Merritt Island is $3,362 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 152 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Merritt Island. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Merritt Island 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cocoa Beach with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Merritt Island find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Merritt Island, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Merritt Island, FL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Merritt Island
Merritt Island is an unincorporated town located in Brevard County, Florida. This community is home to the famous Kennedy Space Center. It’s also home to about 35,000 people, 22 percent of whom are senior citizens. To serve the area’s sizeable senior population, there are 30 assisted living facilities located in Merritt Island and the surrounding communities.
These assisted living facilities, like their counterparts across the state, are regulated by the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA). Licensed facilities supervise residents, provide assistance with personal care tasks and monitor medications, among other services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Merritt Island
- Air quality in the Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville metropolitan area is among the best in the country. For both ozone and 24-hour particle pollution, the area is tied for the cleanest metropolitan area nationwide. Seniors with respiratory conditions may choose to relocate to Merritt Island to enjoy the fresh air.
- In Merritt Island, the cost of living is 13.2 percent higher than the national average. This is due to higher-than-average housing prices in the community. However, health care is slightly less expensive than in the rest of the country, which may appeal to some seniors.
- Like much of Florida, Merritt Island has a comfortable year-round climate. Winter lows are in the 50s, while summer highs are in the high 80s. Seniors may be able to participate in outdoor pastimes, such as golf, throughout the year.
- Florida doesn’t tax seniors’ Social Security payments or pensions. The state also doesn’t charge an income tax. These senior-friendly taxes may mean that Merritt Island retirees have more room in their budgets to pay for assisted living care.
- Merritt Island seniors can use Space Coast Area Transit to travel throughout Brevard County. The fixed-route service can help seniors reach hospitals, shopping centers and other major destinations. For some routes, weekend and evening service is available.
- The Merritt Island area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Health First Cape Canaveral Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Merritt Island
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Merritt Island start around $3,362 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Merritt Island and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Merritt Island
Seniors in Merritt Island may be eligible to receive funding from Florida’s Statewide Medicaid Managed Care (SMMC) program. Other possible sources of funding include the optional state supplementation (OSS) program, which may provide cash assistance to seniors who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Merritt Island
Merritt Island and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Merritt Island, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Merritt Island
Merritt Island-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Merritt Island, FL
Other Options in Merritt Island, FL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Merritt Island
Review of Solaris Senior Living Merritt Island
I had an in-person tour at Solaris Senior Living. It was good. I saw the room; it was nice. The staff was very friendly. We talked about activities. They have bowling. The place looked good. It was... Read more
Review of Solaris Senior Living Merritt Island
Solaris Senior Living Merritt Island was a pretty nice facility. They've got everything you need. The staff was very informative and explained how everything works, the rooms, the different sizes, ... Read more
Review of La Casa Assisted Living & Memory Care
i just wanted to let you know that my Mom was in this memory care facility, and she was given the most excellent care. We as a family want to extend our most heartfelt thank you for all the care th... Read more