23 Assisted Living Facilities near Cocoa, FL
There are 23 Assisted Living Facilities in the Cocoa area, with 3 in Cocoa and 20 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Cocoa is $2,400 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 127 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Cocoa. Better rated regions include Rockledge with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Cocoa, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Cocoa, FL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Cocoa
Cocoa is located in Brevard County and has a population of 17,558. It is home to six assisted living facilities (ALFs) with another 25 in nearby cities in central Florida. Florida’s Department of Elder Affairs defines an ALF as a residential care facility that provides an array of services to residents not requiring 24-hour care. These services include housing, meals and personal care.
ALFs in Florida may acquire one of three specialty licenses. An extended congregate care license permits the ALF to offer additional services, including complete bathing and grooming assistance, dietary and nutrition management and coordination of medical appointments. Additionally, an ALF with a limited nursing services license can apply routine dressings, perform nursing assessments and administer portable oxygen. Any ALF with three or more mental health patients must obtain a limited mental health license.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Cocoa
- Cocoa sits on Florida’s Atlantic Coast, delivering year-round warm weather. Average high temperatures in the summer reach the upper 80s, and humidity levels soar. During the winter, average high temperatures are moderate in the low 70s. A coastal breeze is common.
- Cocoa has a lower cost of living than both national and state averages. Most notably, housing in Cocoa costs about 30 percent less than the national average.
- Crime is a concern in Cocoa, which is safer than a mere 1 percent of U.S. cities. Violent crime rates are five times higher than the Florida average. In addition, 1 in 15 people in Cocoa are victims of a property crime, such as robbery or motor vehicle theft.
- The Space Coast Area Transit operates a fixed map bus schedule. Buses run on loops throughout Cocoa, with stops located around town.
- The Cocoa area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Cape Canaveral Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Cocoa has an array of community resources for seniors, including Aging Matters Brevard, an organization that offers transportation, meals and volunteer opportunities for local seniors, as well as two senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Cocoa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Cocoa start around $2,400 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Cocoa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Cocoa
Eligible seniors in Cocoa can apply for financial assistance for ALF expenses through two state programs. The Optional State Supplementation program (OSS) is a need-based program that provides income-eligible seniors with funds to use toward room and board at an assisted living facility. The Statewide Medicare Managed Care (SMMC) long-term care plan includes two financial aid programs. Medicaid-eligible seniors can apply for funding through the Long-Term Care Managed Care program (LTC) and the Managed Medical Assistance (MMA) program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Cocoa
Cocoa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Cocoa, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Cocoa
Cocoa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.