Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill

Reviews of Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill

Assisted Living Reviews for Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill

June 10, 2016

By Suzanne R.070702

Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill was very modern and beautiful and looked like a fancy hotel, which kind of put me off. It was very urban. The common rooms were large, very comfortable and nice, but the actual units were very small. It is in a gorgeous spot with a beautiful view of the bay. It seemed like a lot of people just retired there. It was kind of expensive, but it would be perfect for some people. I don’t think it would have worked for my mom. It dazzled you with the looks, and I’m not sure what appeal it had beyond that. There weren’t a lot of grounds if you wanted to be outside. There are very small balconies. There is one little pathway, but if you’re in a wheelchair or a walker, there isn’t much area to be outside.

Hello Suzanne, thank you for taking time to provide us with this feedback. We appreciate hearing that you thought our community was beautiful. We understand that the urban location isn't the setting that you were looking for as you researched options for your mom. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance or answer any questions.

May 10, 2016

By Kim123497450

Merrill Gardens was nice. The rooms weren’t as large but nice and seemed OK. We tried the food and it was not good. The facility was good, but it really wasn’t as nice as the place we have chosen and the food was not good at all. I think they had a salon. They had a very small sitting room and a sun area upstairs like the roof; really pretty garden sun room or sun area, barbecue area, which was very nice.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We are disappointed to hear that the food did not meet your expectations. We are very proud of our dining program, so we will share this feedback with the dining team as well. Please don't hesitate to reach back out with any questions or additional feedback.

April 06, 2016

By David123218750

My parents used to live at Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill. This place was very well designed for elderly people with its exceptional community and varied activities. The dining experience was always changing to improve and try to find out what the residents liked. They had a very well-trained staff. The community was small, and everybody knew each other. It's a very welcoming place.

We appreciate receiving this positive review for Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill. We are happy to hear that your parents had a good experience, and thank you for sharing this information with others.

November 22, 2015

By Judy H.1

I love Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill. They had a very positive and open feel. The rooms were nice and spacious, bright, and cheery. They had a rooftop garden that overlooked all of San Diego Bay, which was really pretty at sunset. It was also easily accessible. They had an open café and a dining room that looked like a hotel. I really like this place a lot. It would be on the top of my list.

We are so pleased to receive this positive review. Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

June 22, 2015

By Justin3

My grandmother has found a senior living care place a few days ago -- Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill. I think it is a very nice place. It has a nice dining area. It's almost like a restaurant set-up downstairs. It is a very nice facility. All the apartments are like 600 to 800 square feet. They have a kitchenette. Also, after you go and have surgery, the nurses would come to your room for three or four days to check your vitals and your blood pressure and such. Your meals are provided with your rent. You can go downstairs in the dining room anytime of the day you want, and they'll prepare anything you want from the restaurant. It is very nice. It is not like a medical facility; it is just like a retirement living home. The rooms and the apartments are very nice. The bedroom is very nice. It's got an overlook of almost all of downtown, so you get a nice view. From what I've seen, everyday there are shopping trips where they take the residents who can't drive out to the store. There are movie outings, outings to Balboa Park, and outings to museums around there. There are outings for them just to go out and have a picnic or walk around and go to certain shopping areas in the area. There are some very nice activities. They have a very nice library and a reading area. They even have a wine bar. They have a huge patio too. The facility is in a very nice area. The security is all closed doors except they're open during the day until 7 p.m. at night.

We appreciate that you took time to write us this review! We are so pleased to hear that your grandmother is enjoying Merrill Gardens. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly with any questions.

May 12, 2015

By Suziq1

Merrill Gardens is the one that my sister has chosen. It’s a beautiful facility, only three or four years old. The people were just fantastic; I can’t say enough about it. The gal who took us around, her name was Nenette, and she was just wonderful. We have been back twice, we went back on Saturday for brunch, and we were there yesterday around lunch. The atmosphere was very nice; the staff all seems very professional and friendly. The room that she has chosen is nice and large. It has a little patio area so that she can go outside. It’s on the first floor near the dining room. She is very excited about this place.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us this positive review. We are so pleased to hear that your sister has chosen to live at Merrill Gardens! Please don't hesitate to reach out directly with any questions or needs.

Independent Living Reviews for Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill

February 22, 2016

By Elinor2

I really like Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill. I saw the studio, the one-bedroom, and the two-bedroom units. That facility is fairly new and the rooms are bright. I especially liked the room in the corner with a balcony. They have a place for grilling on the top floor. I like this facility because it is near Balboa Park where I can walk around. The staff was great and very pleasant. The dining area was very open. I like the fact that I could cook my own food inside my apartment.

September 08, 2014

By Sharon94562250

Merrill Gardens is independent and assisted living. It’s modern and clean in appearance. It’s kind of like in the city, so there aren’t any grounds at all actually. The rooms are just very modern and updated. It’s very appealing, has an attractive look to it and is clean. I know my parents are not too crazy about the food though. They’re very caring, competent, and just very engaged with the residents. My folks are very very happy. However, I don’t like the point system that they use. Depending on how many services the resident requires, like if they have their medicine expensed to them, if they need assistance with their bath, getting down to the dining room, and every service that the resident has, they accumulate points. And those points are added to the cost translated to dollars. The more services you use the more points you accumulate and more you pay.

Photos of Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: Computer Class

• Licenses: RCFE 374603274-Assisted Living

About Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill

Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill gives discerning seniors a casual elegance and sophistication found only in the prestigious Bankers Hill neighborhood of downtown San Diego. Downtown retirement living has never been this good – or as much fun – as it can be at Merrill Gardens!

Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill is just a short stroll from fine dining, quaint Victorian homes and Balboa Park. Symphony Hall and the Civic Theater are also nearby, and the community is just minutes from top-ranked physicians, clinics and hospitals. Our rooftop deck offers views of the ocean and city, and the apartments are spacious. Most have full kitchens, balconies, washers and dryers.

And while the community is second to none, the residents who choose to live here make the community truly unique. Residents take advantage of the salon, bistro, fitness center, multiple gathering spaces, secure underground parking and landscaped courtyard areas.

Map of Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill