30 Independent Living Communities near San Diego, CA

2015, 2016, 2019, 2020

Belmont Village Sabre Springs

13075 Evening Creek Drive South, San Diego, CA, 92128

I saw both independent and assisted living facilities at Belmont Village Sabre Springs. They seemed to have recently updated a lot of their facilities, and it was pretty nice. They provided activities … (read more)

2013, 2015

Atria Collwood

5308 Monroe Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92115

I toured Atria Collwood. John, the person there, was supposed to get back to me, hopefully soon. They have a special on one of the studios. Because of my limited finances, he was going to get back to … (read more)

Atria La Jolla

4025 Pulitzer Pl, San Diego, CA, 92122

I am a resident of Atria La Jolla. It’s a very nice community, and very friendly. Everyone says hello all the time. It’s got good food and other events that keep us busy. They have different activiti … (read more)

Casa Aldea Senior Living

14740 Via Fiesta, San Diego, CA, 92127

Oakmont of Pacific Beach

955 Grand Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92109

I toured Oakmont of Pacific Beach. The rooms seemed inviting and spacious. They have transportation for doctor’s appointments. The dining area was nice and spacious. It looked like a restaurant.

Casa De Las Campanas

18655 W Bernardo Drive, San Diego, CA, 92127

My husband just got back to apartment from our Health Center (Continuing Care is the most important thing in selecting your senior home). Even during the Covid 19, the care and attention to our entir … (read more)

2013, 2015, 2017

Wesley Palms

2404 Loring Street, San Diego, CA, 92109

Wesley Palms San Diego Retirement Community was nice, but they didn’t have anything available. They had a mile track around the property, which my father likes. But if he needed more assisted living, … (read more)

Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill

2567 Second Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92103

Merrill Gardens is a really nice place. It’s right next to Balboa Park, which made it very expensive. It’s a really nice place.The staff answered my questions and were really very easy to get along wi … (read more)

Atria Rancho Peñasquitos

12979 Rancho Peñasquitos Blvd, San Diego, CA, 92129

We have chosen Atria Rancho Peñasquitos for my mom, and she is going to move in soon. It was clean and very modern. It was a nice facility. The person that toured us was great. They have some indepen … (read more)

The Remington Club

16925 Hierba Drive, San Diego, CA, 92128

I’ve been here at The Remington Club a little over a month and it’s like everything else. They’re doing an admirable job of trying to keep us entertained and safe. The dining room is open with the Cov … (read more)

St. Paul’s Manor

2635 Second Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92103

I’m moving into St. Paul’s Manor, and I like the community. I like the size and I like the location, the fact that it’s Bankers Hill, that’s walking distance to downtown San Diego, walking distance to … (read more)

The Orchard

4040 Hancock Street, San Diego, CA, 92110

I’m living in The Orchard now. I’ve been here since the 1st of August. I am impressed with all the activities that they have, and the fact that I could go to grocery stores if I need to. They have … (read more)

Casa Aldea University City Village

6132 Gullstrand Street, San Diego, CA, 92122

Casa Aldea University City Village was very nice, very clean and very modern. It seemed like a fairly new facility or it was upgraded. The rooms were fairly decent sized. The kitchen was nice. They ha … (read more)

Pacific Regent La Jolla

3890 Nobel Drive, San Diego, CA, 92122

We live in a senior residence where we have a lot of things that are very helpful to us, like valet service, dining room, and housekeeping. We have a lot of these good stuff here, but we don’t have … (read more)

Luther View Senior Apartments

4810 Cass St # 304, San Diego, CA, 92109

I toured Luther View Senior Apartments in San Diego and the staff was fantastic. He was really helpful and showed me an apartment. It was a lot smaller than the one I chose for my mom and the price wa … (read more)

University City Village

6102 Gullstrand St, San Diego, CA, 92122

University City Village is wonderful. The room is very spacious enough for me. The place is very safe actually. It is way too expensive, but the people are very nice.

Villa Pacifica Apartments

3630 6th Avenue,, San Diego, CA, 92103

My wife and I have been in Villa Pacifica for six years now. It costs $1,200 plus utility, so it is almost $1,300 a month. It is a very nice place. They take good care of it. Every floor has washers a … (read more)

2015, 2016

Paradise Village

2700 East 4th Street, National City, CA, 91950

Our experience with Paradise Village was very good. A young lady named Rhonda gave us the tour. She showed us around everything, and we had lunch there (which was very good). Rhonda was super. We real … (read more)

2015, 2016

Grossmont Gardens

5480 Marengo Avenue, La Mesa, CA, 91942

Grossmont Gardens in La Mesa, California, is situated on nine acres of landscaped grounds with beautifully manicured gardens and walkways. Residents compliment the walking paths for exercise and the a … (read more)

The Montera

5740 Lake Murray Blvd, La Mesa, CA, 91942

My friend has stayed at The Montera, and it was wonderful. Our experience was very good. They had activities like bingos and movies. They play crosswords where they have everybody in an area, and they … (read more)

What to Expect in an Independent Living Community

Many seniors love how independent living communities reduce unwanted stress, hazards, and fatigue in their lives. Independent living communities take care of housekeeping, yard work and meals while still allowing residents personal space and the dignity of making their own choices. These communities usually provide seniors with an apartment that has a small kitchen, bathroom, living room, and one or more bedrooms. Those who want a small space may even find that some independent living communities offer studio-style apartments. Seniors can invite guests over and enjoy their rooms however they see fit.

Independent living communities often also include the following:

• Numerous opportunities for socializing and exploring new activities
  • Easy access to public or community-provided transportation
  • Meal plans for community dining as well as kitchens for seniors who like preparing their own meals
  • The ability to keep small- and medium-size pets such as dogs and cats
  • Housekeeping, laundry and groundskeeping services
  • 24-hour staff on-site who can be contacted if a problem arises

For a more detailed look at common amenities, check out our guide to independent living communities.

What Couples Should Know About Independent Living in San Diego, CA

San Diego is an idyllic seaside community of 1.4 million people, where average summer temperatures stay around 76 degrees and breezy sunshine is the norm. Seniors in San Diego pay an average of 15% less for medical care at excellent local facilities, such as UC San Diego Health. Crime rates are 20% lower in San Diego than the national average, which along with the weather and the thriving senior community, encourages aging citizens to get outdoors and meet others at senior-friendly local events, such as Forever Fit in Lopez Ridge park.

Senior couples can get around San Diego at a discount by riding the buses and light rail of San Diego Mass Transit (SDMT). SDMT buses are all disabled-ride equipped, and routes cover almost all of the busiest parts of the city out to the quiet suburbs.

Paying for Independent Living in San Diego, CA

San Diego seniors pay an average of $3,720 a month for independent living. This is significantly higher than the national average monthly cost of $2,550. Seniors in some nearby areas, such as National City, also pay somewhat less than San Diego’s average cost, at $3,360.

The annual cost of living in an independent living community can range anywhere from $12,000-$42,000, depending mostly on the amenities, room type and cost of living in the area. In addition to using personal retirement income, annuities, long-term care insurance, or cashing out an existing life insurance policy, some seniors can use Social Security funds, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments granted due to disability or low-income or HUD-provided housing assistance such as vouchers. Another route many seniors choose to fund their independent living stay is renting out or selling their homes that they won’t need once they move or taking advantage of a reverse mortgage

Our guide provides a more in-depth look at independent living costs and solutions for those who want to learn more.

How to Choose an Independent Living Community

When choosing an independent living community, it’s best to consider many factors, including the community’s proximity to loved ones and medical care, the state of repair that the facility appears to be in, the attitude and efficiency of the staff, the cost of both rent and services, the facility’s pet policy and more.

Comparing multiple communities can help seniors and their families figure out what they value most in an independent living community. During tours of these communities, staff members should be available to answer questions. To help with the touring and comparison process, we’ve included a checklist full of pertinent questions that anyone can download and print for themselves.

Transitioning to Independent Living

Independent living communities, rather than memory care or nursing homes, are often the first place seniors move to when they realize they need a lifestyle change. The necessity of letting some possessions go and the reality of leaving a home and neighborhood after possibly decades of residence there can make transitioning to an independent living community difficult. These communities are often friendly places, but being in a new environment still initially triggers feelings of loneliness in many seniors.

Having a strategy for dealing with the challenges of moving can make the transition to an independent living community a positive experience. We’ve created a downloadable step-by-step guide for tips to making this transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Independent Living Resources in San Diego, CA

There are many other resources and activities for seniors in San Diego. Use the table below to learn about the options available for older adults in the area.

ResourcePhone Number Description
AgeWell Services Centers (619) 236-6905 AgeWell operates nine senior centers in and around San Diego. Seniors enrolled at the centers can join in community meals, interest clubs and fitness facilities near their homes. These centers also provide limited legal assistance services for those who are 60 or older, including will making.
On the Go (858) 637-3210 Jewish Family Service offers On the Go as a free volunteer ride service for seniors in San Diego. Riders must be aged 60 or over and in need of transportation for personal occasions, such as medical appointments and family visits. Some types of ride must be booked seven days in advance, while others are on-demand.
Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP) (858) 565-1392 HICAP helps San Diego seniors navigate the complex legal landscape of Medicare, Social Security and estate planning at no cost.