The 10 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Oyster Bay, NY for 2023
Also serving communities of Bayville.
There are 24 Assisted Living Facilities in the Oyster Bay area, with 2 in Oyster Bay and 22 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Oyster Bay is $3,550 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,875.
To help you with your search, browse the 317 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Oyster Bay. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Oyster Bay 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Glen Cove with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Oyster Bay, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Oyster Bay, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Oyster Bay
Oyster Bay, which is a town in Nassau County on Long Island, is located within the New York metropolitan area just 30 miles from Manhattan. The community is the summer home of Teddy Roosevelt and has a population of over 300,000, with 17 percent over the age 65. These seniors are served by one assisted living facility in town and 35 in the surrounding areas. The State of New York Department of Health regulates these communities and defines them as adult care facilities that provide non-medical room and board for seniors.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Oyster Bay
- The cost of living in Oyster Bay is 90.4 percent higher than the U.S. average. This may affect seniors on a tight budget. While most of this is due to housing, transportation costs also come in well above average. Grocery and health care costs are slightly below national medians.
- Like the rest of the New York metropolitan area, Oyster Bay has a seasonal climate with warm, humid summers and very cold, windy winters. Seniors will enjoy mild summers when average temperatures can reach highs of 83 degrees Fahrenheit in July, and brisk winters with lows near 24 degrees in January. Snowfall is around 23 inches per year and rainfall is above average at 48 inches annually.
- Seniors in Oyster Bay can make the most of their retirement income since New York does not tax social security benefits. Private pensions and retirement accounts are also deductible.
- Seniors who don’t drive may have difficulty getting around Oyster Bay, as there is no public bus service. Connections to New York City are available through the Long Island Railroad. The Life Enrichment Center at Oyster Bay has an Elderly Transportation Service to help seniors get to medical and social appointments.
- Seniors can feel safe living in Oyster Bay, as the crime here is relatively low. Violent and property crimes scored 26.3 and 24.7 out of 100, with 100 representing high crime.
- Oyster Bay has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Citizens Services Division, an organization that provides seniors with activities, day trips, classes and help in finding relevant programs and services, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Oyster Bay
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Oyster Bay start around $3,550 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Oyster Bay and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Oyster Bay
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Oyster Bay
Oyster Bay and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Oyster Bay, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oyster Bay
Oyster Bay-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Oyster Bay, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Oyster Bay
Review of Harbor House
We toured Harbor House. The facility was very beautiful and very nice. I loved it. They had a nice area. The staff was very nice and very professional. There's a lot of follow-up. They also had a l... Read more
Review of Oyster Bay Manor
We're gonna put mom in Oyster Bay Manor. The staff was very, very friendly. It was clean. It didn't have the feel of an institution. It felt like it was a home. Everyone's very friendly and very we... Read more
Review of Harbor House
The people at Harbor House were very low-key. They didn't realize what was going on. They didn't talk to the person to their right or to their left. It looked like they were not motivated by the st... Read more