Suffolk County is located on the easternmost region of Long Island in New York and features scenic bays, championship golf courses, premier shopping destinations and a vibrant arts and culture scene. The county is made up of 10 cities and has about 1.5 million people, over 17% of whom are seniors, making it the twenty-first most popular county in the United States.

There are approximately 57 assisted living facilities in Suffolk County, which provide a variety of options for older adults who need help with some daily living activities. On average, seniors in this county pay $5,991 per month for this type of care, which is expensive compared to the rest of the state and the nation as a whole. The county’s less hectic pace paired with easy access to big-city services and amenities can make it an attractive option for seniors looking to retire in familiar surroundings or close to friends or family.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Suffolk County, NY

Atria South Setauket

4089 Nesconset Highway, South Setauket, NY, 11720

Atria South Setauket was a very nice place, but the hallways were narrow. We also didn’t like the elevator because it could only fit two people. If somebody is in a wheelchair, it would be really diff … (read more)

2022, 2023

The Arbors at Bohemia

1065 Smithtown Avenue, Bohemia, NY, 11716

We liked The Arbors at Bohemia. However, they don’t have the extended care that we were looking for. Also, they don’t have a mini kitchen. They just have a little refrigerator. It’s a very happy place … (read more)

2015

Sunrise of Holbrook

320 Patchogue Holbrook Road, Holbrook, NY, 11741

Sunrise of Holbrook was very old inside, but the outside was very quaint. It looks like a country type and it is pretty. I just didn’t feel comfortable there. Neither did my husband. The people that w … (read more)

2015, 2017

Sunrise of West Babylon

580 Montauk Hwy, West Babylon, NY, 11704

Sunrise of West Babylon is a great place. Everything is centralized down into the dining room. They have a lot of care workers per person. They have pretty good care. They have an outside porch next t … (read more)

2016

Atria Huntington

165 Beverly Road, Huntington Station, NY, 11746

My father lived at Atria Huntington for 14 months, until his passing. Before moving to Atria, he was not seeing to his ADLs, not eating well, and not active. Living in a community amongst such giving, … (read more)

Atria Bay Shore

53 Ocean Avenue, Bay Shore, NY, 11706

Atria Bay Shore was unbelievable. It was clean. The staff was well organized and polite. I had a great feeling about it. I felt very comfortable there. Everything smelled so good. The staff was very … (read more)

2022

Whisper Woods of Smithtown

71 St. Johnland Road, Smithtown, NY, 11787

Whisper Woods of Smithtown was very clean, very bright, and new. The staff was very nice and seemed very attentive. A lot is going on. They were very nice. Everything was new and clean. They had nice … (read more)

Atria East Northport

10 Cheshire Place, East Northport, NY, 11731

Had a great tour experience. Loved the grounds, had a lot of outside sitting areas, with beautiful landscaping and gardens. My mom would really enjoy it. The residents and staff seem so nice and welco … (read more)

2015

Sunrise of Dix Hills

337 Deer Park Road, Huntington Station, NY, 11746

We went to Sunrise of Dix Hills. We walked around the grounds outside and looked into the window of a vacant room and someone came out and spoke with us, and that was very well done. I have very good … (read more)

Lake Shore Assisted Living

211 Lake Shore Road, Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, 11779

There’s nothing wrong with my tour of Lake Shore Assisted Living. But my mother has dementia and we’re concerned about her walking away since they don’t have locks on the doors at night. I liked the p … (read more)

Village Walk at Patchogue

131 East Main Street, Patchogue, NY, 11772

I liked the Village Walk at Patchogue very much, I liked everything about it and I liked Nicole, who was the sales rep. It was located in the actual village of Patchogue, where they could go out and w … (read more)

Sunrise of Smithtown

30 Hauppauge Road, Route 111, Smithtown, NY, 11787

We toured Sunrise of Smithtown, we liked it very much, and we’re going back next Wednesday. It just seems very nice, almost like home, it’s as close as you can get to it. We were very pleased with it. … (read more)

McPeak’s Assisted Living

286 North Ocean Avenue, Patchogue, NY, 11772

My relative is doing well at McPeak’s Assisted Living. It’s a unique place. It’s like a home, and it’s very small. They can have more than 50 people there, but now they don’t even have that many. They … (read more)

The Villa at Westhampton

68 Old Country Road, Westhampton, NY, 11977

I loved my tour at The Villa at Westhampton. It’s like half the money compared to where she’s at, and the place is beautiful. The place was beautiful. Then I started talking to them, they said they ha … (read more)

Birchwood Suites

423 Clay Pitts Rd, East Northport, NY, 11731

My aunt is a resident at Birchwood Suites. Its a very warm caring place. Very charming, clean and they take great care of her. They treat her like their family! The rooms are beautiful and ver … (read more)

Sunrise of East Setauket

1 Sunrise Drive, East Setauket, NY, 11733

I toured Sunrise of East Setauket, and they were all lovely to deal with when I was there visiting and on the phone, but I don’t know if I feel right saying this is the best place for someone because … (read more)

All American Assisted Living at Coram

463 Middle Country Road, Coram, NY, 11727

All American Assisted Living at Coram was beautiful. They were friendly and welcoming. It was clean. Everybody was cordial. It was nice. The setup and the arrangement were nice. The size of the apartm … (read more)

Amber Court of Smithtown

130 Lake Avenue South, Nesconset, NY, 11767

My mom moved into Amber Court Of Smith Town. It is a nice and clean community. They have a lot of choices regarding food and a lot of activities. My mom likes it overall. They watch movies together, d … (read more)

Sunrise of Huntington

300 West Hills Road, Huntington Station, NY, 11746

Sunrise Senior Living of Huntington Assisted Living was good, but it seemed very pricey. You know, we’re talking about another thirty thousand, twenty-five thousand a year. So I said, I kind of have a … (read more)

Gurwin Jewish – Fay J. Lindner Residences

50 Hauppauge Road, Commack, NY, 11725

I gave one star because the rating system would not accept zero stars. The facility is FILTHY, the staff doesn’t seem to care, as evidenced by the lack of basic housekeeping (we were shown a vacant … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Suffolk County

The Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey discloses that in New York, assisted living fees are a little higher than the national median, indicating that this state tends to be a pricey option for this level of care. On average, seniors in the United States pay $4,300 per month for assisted living. In New York, fees are roughly 12% higher at $4,800. In Suffolk County, which is located about 80 miles east of the New York City area and has the same cost of living, the average is $5,991.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

The Suffolk County region is among the priciest options in New York for assisted living. On average, seniors in this region pay $5,991 per month. Only a handful of cities in the state have higher assisted living fees, including the Watertown area, where facilities charge approximately $6,034. In the Poughkeepsie area, care costs are considerably lower at $5,154 per month. The Utica area is relatively affordable at $4,905 per month, and in the Albany area, rates are consistent with the statewide median at $4,800. The Buffalo area is among the most cost-effective locations in the state at $4,565. In Bridgeport, Connecticut, which is located about 45 miles from Suffolk County, assisted living care costs are significantly higher at $7,838 per month.

$5991

Buffalo

$7838

Bridgeport, CT

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Suffolk County

New York offers an Assisted Living Program (ALP) to help residents who need nursing care pay for room and board in assisted living facilities. This is a Community First Choice State Plan Option (CFCO), similar to a Medicaid waiver.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New York

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Suffolk County

ResourceContact Service
Suffolk County Office for the Aging(631) 853-8200The Suffolk County Office for the Aging is the Area Agency on Aging that serves those aged 60 and over. It hosts informational workshops that cover topics relevant to aging, such as chronic disease management and enjoying life-long health. The agency promotes access to services through its information, assistance and referral program, and it hosts annual free tax preparation services for seniors.
Veterans Service Agency(631) 853-8387Suffolk County is home to the largest population of veterans in the state. To serve this community, it has an office dedicated to helping veterans and their spouses, children or survivors access the benefits that they’re entitled to. At the agency, veterans service officers screen veterans for eligibility for programs such as VA healthcare, pension benefits, disability compensation and the Aid and Attendance benefit.
RSVP Suffolk (631) 979-9490RSVP Suffolk provides a diverse range of volunteer opportunities to county residents aged 55 and over, allowing them to connect with and serve their community in a way that fits their interests and abilities. In addition to volunteer opportunities, RSVP offers tai chi classes to help those living with arthritis. It also offers a six-week workshop that discusses how to take charge of aging-related health conditions.
Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance(800) 701-0501HICAP is a statewide program that provides free information and assistance with accessing health insurance, which may help older adults identify their options for covering assisted living expenses. Through this program, trained volunteers answer clients’ questions about their Medicare benefits and can help them find a Medicare Advantage or prescription drug plan that meets their needs. They can also provide information on long-term care insurance.
Nassau Suffolk Law Services(631) 232-2400Nassau Suffolk Law Services is a nonprofit legal agency that provides free services to those aged 60 and over. It has two locations in Suffolk County, including one in Islandia and one in Riverhead. At these offices, older adults can obtain assistance with applying for Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income, Medicare and Medicaid.
Catholic Charities of Long Island(516) 733-7000Catholic Charities of Long Island is a nonprofit organization that provides an array of services to seniors in the community. Through its senior case management program, a case manager works with clients to assess their needs and create a service plan that may include services such as transportation, prescription drug assistance and state and local entitlements.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Suffolk County

Suffolk County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Suffolk County