Suffolk County is located on the easternmost region of Long Island in New York and features scenic bays, championship golf courses, premier shopping destinations and a vibrant arts and culture scene. The county is made up of 10 cities and has about 1.5 million people, over 17% of whom are seniors, making it the twenty-first most popular county in the United States.

There are approximately 57 assisted living facilities in Suffolk County, which provide a variety of options for older adults who need help with some daily living activities. On average, seniors in this county pay $5,991 per month for this type of care, which is expensive compared to the rest of the state and the nation as a whole. The county’s less hectic pace paired with easy access to big-city services and amenities can make it an attractive option for seniors looking to retire in familiar surroundings or close to friends or family.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Suffolk County, NY

Atria South Setauket

4089 Nesconset Highway, South Setauket, NY, 11720

I toured Atria South Setauket yesterday. I’m hoping my mother will move there on August 1st. It’s very well kept, bright, and caring. It seems fine. It seems like a nice, beautiful hotel, dining room, … (read more)

Sunrise of Holbrook

320 Patchogue Holbrook Road, Holbrook, NY, 11741

My mother-in-law is in Sunrise of Holbrook. As far as I know, she’s being taken care of well right now. Everything there is clean. She seems content and cared for, and that’s all we were looking for. … (read more)

The Arbors at Bohemia

1065 Smithtown Avenue, Bohemia, NY, 11716

I saw The Arbors at Bohemia a couple of years ago, and I really liked it. So far, whoever calls me from there is very polite, nice, and willing to help if I need. It looked very good, but I haven’t pe … (read more)

2015, 2017

Sunrise of West Babylon

580 Montauk Hwy, West Babylon, NY, 11704

Sunrise of West Babylon is our top choice because they have an enhanced-care license, so they are able to provide more services. Teresa was very knowledgeable about the services that they provided. T … (read more)

2016

Atria Huntington

165 Beverly Road, Huntington Station, NY, 11746

My mother is a resident of the Atria Senior Living in Huntington, NY. I am so impressed with the quality of care and the staff that is employed there. They are an asset that should be commended and … (read more)

Atria Bay Shore

53 Ocean Avenue, Bay Shore, NY, 11706

Atria Bayshore is farther away, which is the one issue, you know if I want to visit my parents. There was also an issue with the catheter. They would have the ability to change the bag, but not remove … (read more)

Whisper Woods of Smithtown

71 St. Johnland Road, Smithtown, NY, 11787

I went to Whisper Woods of Smithtown. I thought they were very helpful. It seems like the staff is very good, the amenities are very good. I just had a good feeling about it. It’s reasonably priced. T … (read more)

Dominican Village

565 Albany Ave, Amityville, NY, 11701

We went to Dominican Village. It’s very good, I was very happy with it, and the person who accommodated us was very good. She made us feel comfortable, she knew what she was talking about, and brought … (read more)

Atria East Northport

10 Cheshire Place, East Northport, NY, 11731

Had a great tour experience. Loved the grounds, had a lot of outside sitting areas, with beautiful landscaping and gardens. My mom would really enjoy it. The residents and staff seem so nice and welco … (read more)

Sunrise of Dix Hills

337 Deer Park Road, Huntington Station, NY, 11746

We went to Sunrise of Dix Hills. We walked around the grounds outside and looked into the window of a vacant room and someone came out and spoke with us, and that was very well done. I have very good … (read more)

Maryville Adult Home, Inc

70 Greenlawn Road, Huntington, NY, 11743

Maryville Adult Home is located in Huntington, New York, just off of Route 25A and close to Huntington Hospital, parks and ocean inlets. Relatives praise the home-cooked meals as fresh and tasty, staf … (read more)

Zelma Lacey House of Charlestown

9 W School Street, Boston, MA, 02129

Zelma Lacey House of Charlestown is located on a quiet street in the historic neighborhood of Charlestown in Boston, Massachusetts. Visitors are impressed with the facility’s beauty and cleanliness an … (read more)

Birchwood Suites

423 Clay Pitts Rd, East Northport, NY, 11731

My aunt is a resident at Birchwood Suites. Its a very warm caring place. Very charming, clean and they take great care of her. They treat her like their family! The rooms are beautiful and ver … (read more)

Sunrise of Smithtown

30 Hauppauge Road, Route 111, Smithtown, NY, 11787

I went to Sunrise of Smithtown in person. They were wonderful. It was beautiful. The food looked good, but I didn’t get a chance to taste anything there. The staff was very helpful, very nice, and car … (read more)

Village Walk at Patchogue

131 East Main Street, Patchogue, NY, 11772

Village Walk at Patchogue was a nice place. It was clean, and the people seemed very nice. It’s in the town, and they could get places. They were very good and very cooperative. They gave us the COVID … (read more)

Sunrise of East Setauket

1 Sunrise Drive, East Setauket, NY, 11733

I did not like Sunrise of East Setauket at all. I did not like the staff or the facilities. Overall, I would rate them a two. It was shabby looking and looked old, and the staff that I met was not fri … (read more)

Sunrise Senior Living of Huntington

300 West Hills Road, Huntington Station, NY, 11746

Sunrise Senior Living of Huntington Assisted Living was good, but it seemed very pricey. You know, we’re talking about another thirty thousand, twenty-five thousand a year. So I said, I kind of have a … (read more)

The Chelsea at Brookhaven

1 Meadows Lane, Yaphank, NY, 11980

Amber Court of Smithtown

130 Lake Avenue South, Nesconset, NY, 11767

My sister lives in Amber Court of Smithtown. She has to share the room with three women, but it’s a big facility, and they have a lot of activities. They have bingo and they’re very active. The staff … (read more)

Brookside Multicare Nursing Center

7 State Rd 25A, Smithtown, NY, 11787

This facility was absolutely disgusting. I can’t stress how dirty and unprofessional it was . From the food to the staff. My partner was in there for rehabilitation. No one ever came in the room to … (read more)

Paying for Assisted Living in Suffolk County

The Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey discloses that in New York, assisted living fees are a little higher than the national median, indicating that this state tends to be a pricey option for this level of care. On average, seniors in the United States pay $4,300 per month for assisted living. In New York, fees are roughly 12% higher at $4,800. In Suffolk County, which is located about 80 miles east of the New York City area and has the same cost of living, the average is $5,991.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

The Suffolk County region is among the priciest options in New York for assisted living. On average, seniors in this region pay $5,991 per month. Only a handful of cities in the state have higher assisted living fees, including the Watertown area, where facilities charge approximately $6,034. In the Poughkeepsie area, care costs are considerably lower at $5,154 per month. The Utica area is relatively affordable at $4,905 per month, and in the Albany area, rates are consistent with the statewide median at $4,800. The Buffalo area is among the most cost-effective locations in the state at $4,565. In Bridgeport, Connecticut, which is located about 45 miles from Suffolk County, assisted living care costs are significantly higher at $7,838 per month.

$5991

Buffalo

$7838

Bridgeport, CT

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Suffolk County

New York offers an Assisted Living Program (ALP) to help residents who need nursing care pay for room and board in assisted living facilities. This is a Community First Choice State Plan Option (CFCO), similar to a Medicaid waiver.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New York

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Suffolk County

ResourceContact Service
Suffolk County Office for the Aging(631) 853-8200The Suffolk County Office for the Aging is the Area Agency on Aging that serves those aged 60 and over. It hosts informational workshops that cover topics relevant to aging, such as chronic disease management and enjoying life-long health. The agency promotes access to services through its information, assistance and referral program, and it hosts annual free tax preparation services for seniors.
Veterans Service Agency(631) 853-8387Suffolk County is home to the largest population of veterans in the state. To serve this community, it has an office dedicated to helping veterans and their spouses, children or survivors access the benefits that they’re entitled to. At the agency, veterans service officers screen veterans for eligibility for programs such as VA healthcare, pension benefits, disability compensation and the Aid and Attendance benefit.
RSVP Suffolk (631) 979-9490RSVP Suffolk provides a diverse range of volunteer opportunities to county residents aged 55 and over, allowing them to connect with and serve their community in a way that fits their interests and abilities. In addition to volunteer opportunities, RSVP offers tai chi classes to help those living with arthritis. It also offers a six-week workshop that discusses how to take charge of aging-related health conditions.
Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance(800) 701-0501HICAP is a statewide program that provides free information and assistance with accessing health insurance, which may help older adults identify their options for covering assisted living expenses. Through this program, trained volunteers answer clients’ questions about their Medicare benefits and can help them find a Medicare Advantage or prescription drug plan that meets their needs. They can also provide information on long-term care insurance.
Nassau Suffolk Law Services(631) 232-2400Nassau Suffolk Law Services is a nonprofit legal agency that provides free services to those aged 60 and over. It has two locations in Suffolk County, including one in Islandia and one in Riverhead. At these offices, older adults can obtain assistance with applying for Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income, Medicare and Medicaid.
Catholic Charities of Long Island(516) 733-7000Catholic Charities of Long Island is a nonprofit organization that provides an array of services to seniors in the community. Through its senior case management program, a case manager works with clients to assess their needs and create a service plan that may include services such as transportation, prescription drug assistance and state and local entitlements.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Suffolk County

Suffolk County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Suffolk County