Amber Court of Westbury

Reviews of Amber Court of Westbury

Assisted Living Reviews for Amber Court of Westbury

February 22, 2018

By TAF

I always love walking into Amber court and seeing the interaction between the residents and staff.

January 12, 2018

By joshluga

Amazing attention to detail the staff is polite and caring. The activity director, ginger is full of life and energy and puts a smile on every resident face.

December 08, 2017

By Cdp

My mother lived in the Alcove for 6 months, she has dementia. The conditions were horrible. The entire staff is totally overwhelmed from housekeeping to aids to maintenance. I complained almost every visit about needing more staff (2x a week) and Nothing ever changed. Residents are not bathed enough, her clothing and bedding was often soiled. The rooms smell of urine since the residents are not changed often enough. The basic hygiene care of residence was horrific. Residents are stressed out and confused and staff is too overworked to try and calm them down. The place looks nice, but the care is what is important and they desperately need more staff and the staff needs more supervision. Originally they had an activities director and then let that person go and tried to tack activities onto an aid that was to help with the residents, that's too much for one person. Often everyone would be sitting in the general room with no music, no tv and no activity and one aid on the phone with residents confused and needing to be taken to the restroom. When asked about what was going on, 5 min later aids would magically appear and excuses be given. It happened Often when I visited, too often for just a one time incident. When I would complain that my mother was not being taken care of, they started to blame my mom. Telling me that she was getting worse so it was harder to take care of her and that was an excuse to not help her change her depends? So my mom sits in soaked undergarments and develops UTI's because she is sick? Or is it because your staff is overworked and can't keep up with changing the patients. For the cost of care they can afford to hire a couple more aids for minimum wage, since it's what they pay, and have people properly taken care of. Do not put your loved one here, I wish I had moved her sooner.

November 13, 2017

By tjcav

I live out of state and was eager to visit my aunt. I was disappointed and saddened by the conditions at Amber Court of Westbury. Although the receptionist at the front desk was very nice, no other employee greeted my aunt or any of our group during our visit. We spent quite a bit of time in the social areas… and we seemed to be an inconvenience. Employees were not motivated to help when simple requests were made. I had hoped/expected that the environment for the residents would be inviting, cozy and colorful… at least something that came across as warmth, but other than the entrance, it is shabby, barely decorated, and institutional. There is a strong smell of urine near the elevators. When we went to her room, there were clothes on the bed that had been laundered. When I went to help put them away, I was stunned to find that they were VERY damp. It was IMPOSSIBLE that the person who had that responsibility could have missed that. Evidently, that is a common occurrence. In addition, belongings of hers are frequently lost (or stolen?). There are numerous problems here. How could this facility meet the standards that are required by the board of health? How could it have received accreditation? Aren’t the employees accountable? Don’t they have frequent evaluations? There should be regularly scheduled training sessions that all employees are required to take as well. Sessions that explain dementia and its ramifications, that recommend techniques for dealing with challenges and develop compassion. As well as courses that teach professionalism and courtesy. Facilities that accept Medicaid are few, but I would not expect that they would be substandard. I would NOT recommend this place and hope that reviews of this nature will prompt some action to improve conditions for all the residents there.

November 29, 2016

By Sue343667

Amber Court seemed to be a good environment for my situation. My husband has Alzheimer’s, so it seemed like a good idea. It was very clean and seemed like the people were very caring. It seemed like the right environment for my husband. The area where he is going to go seemed like a safe environment.

November 21, 2016

By R.P.

There were only a few places that accepted wheelchairs and oxygen which my aunt needs, and Amber Court was one of them. They have the most services of the places that we looked at. The staff that I encountered like the admission staff was very nice. It’s an average size room based on what I have seen with some other places. They have three meals a day, but she is not crazy about the food. They are one of the lower priced ones.

November 09, 2016

By novem

Amber Court of Westbury is a terrible facility to put a loved for numerous reasons. My dad has been there for two years and if I could have moved him I would have. As soon as he got there they put him in diapers and a wheelchair, so walking declined quickly. The FOOD IS BEYOND disgusting, I have made several complaints met with the patient advocate and dared her to eat the food. It is usually served ICE COLD. But hey they are old people who cares about them. I don't think it is an easy job to take care of the elderly I have a great respect for this profession, unfortunately you really don't have to be any good at Amber Court because they don't care. The workers run the place, so if you hate your mom or dad this is the place for you.

July 13, 2016

By Terry043354

Amber Court seemed very clean and had a lot of activities. They were very helpful. The rooms were spacious, and the dining area was very big. It seemed like a hotel.

November 06, 2015

By Chris Bodney

I just visited Amber Court of Westbury. The staff is very friendly. You can tell that the staff are very passionate about their jobs. I do recommend this place.

We really appreciate your positive feedback. We love hearing from people who visited us.

July 14, 2015

By Michael110198250

Amber Court Assisted Living of Westbury was a very nice place. I liked it a lot. They had two separate dining rooms. If you have the money, you can live very nicely there. I was impressed. The staff was very helpful. They had movies and religious services.

June 13, 2015

By Toni12

It looked like they try to keep the residents social, and they took good care of them at Amber Court. They had a lot of different things to do to keep them entertained. The whole place seemed very clean. The person who took me around was very good, very helpful, and knowledgeable. And the staff looked like they were doing group things with the residents and enjoying it.

April 13, 2015

By djuliette

My Aunt lived at Amber Court for 2 years. We were all very happy with the care that she received. She always had plenty of activities to keep her busy. The staff was always cheerful, and the place was very clean. I highly recommend Amber Court!

April 05, 2015

By CawfeeTawk

I would highly recommend Amber Court especially if you're aiming for quality care at more affordable prices. Their Medicaid-funded program is also a big benefit. My brother and I don't have to worry about relocating our dad in 2 years if he outlives his savings. We want him to stay here a good, long time & continue to enjoy activities with the friends he made. We also find the staff to be very cheerful and responsive. A lot of them are working together many years and share a warm bond with each other and the residents. The atmosphere is very personal in general, which is a credit to the members of this family owned business.

March 11, 2015

By old lad

Amber Court has a lot to be desired. The place smells like urine, I think getting the carpets cleaned professionally(not in house staff) and washing the floors daily would take care of this. The recreation room is chairs in a row like you are at the DMV. The workers run the place, there is no management unless they are looking for money. The food is at a Nursing Home standard not Assisted Living. I think families put their loved ones their because of the location and the Medicaid aspect. The rooms are dirty, walls need to be painted, and the beds are terrible! It is truly hard to get old and needy on Long Island there are very few choices to be made and even the crappy ones like Amber court get $4,000 a month. Try to keep your parents away from here.

We apologize that you didn't have a positive experience with us. We are looking to improve every day. Please call me and let me know how we can improve your experience. Thanks, Traci 516-334-3838

January 23, 2015

By Irene19

Amber Court of Westbury is nice and looks like it is well kept up. The rooms are OK. But I didn't like that there are a lot of multiple rooms. They have an activity room where they can do different things like play cards, games, and crafts. The person who assisted me was very pleasant and answered all my inquiries.

September 16, 2014

Amber Court Assisted Living of Westbury was a shared room, and they didn't have memory care that my father-in-law needed. Everything about it was nice, and it looked clean, but it all came down to what he needed.

March 20, 2014

By Jasper2014

My family looked at this facility for my mother-in-law. The woman giving the tour would not answer any questions until after the tour. She spent almost 2 hours talking to us, but still didn't answer all out questions. In the last week I have called twice and emailed twice. She finally responded today saying we should find a different place. I guess we asked too many questions. Also, I am picky and 2 of the signs they had hanging up (1 for residents & 1 for staff) had spelling errors. I think the little items are just as important as the big items. We have looked at many places and this is not one of the better ones we saw.

November 05, 2012

By Bill5

Amber Court is very nice and very clean. They're expanding it. They take Medicaid.

October 30, 2012

By Ronman87

The staff was not very accommodating at all. I went to visit my friend Sal for his birthday and the staff did not even recognize that he was turning 90. He was able to have a few visitors in his room and the management let us have a small area in the dining room. But the staff itself that he deals with on a day to day basis had no idea about the event, they either didn't care(which it seemed like) or had not been informed. Myself and Sal's family had been trying to plan this get together for a weeks, the management was somewhat cooperative, when they returned our phone calls and emails. Other than this experience the operation seemed to fine and Sal really does enjoy himself there and his newest girlfriend Diana is always talking about the beauty salon they have downstairs and how much she loves going there.

August 27, 2012

By Molly10

I thought that it was overall a nice place. I was upset that they did not offer in house physical therapy to their residents. The staff was friendly and professional. They did accept medicaid which I was happy about, but the initial up front cost were too expensive. There was no pool on sight for the residents, but there were recreational activities available to the residents. The residents within this facility that we spoke with appeared to be happy with residing there. The menu that they had within the facility considered cultural beliefs. For example, menu's did take into consideration those individuals that only eat kosher foods. The menu also catered to people that had health concerns like diabetes.

June 08, 2012

By caring6062

It was very good! When you walk in there, it was different. It didn't seem institutionalized. I think the price ranges for anyone's needs so I think it's doable. It depends on what you really want so you had options. The woman who gave the tour was very informative, very gentle and very open to answering any questions. So I found it a great experience. Sure would recommend the facility!

May 12, 2012

By Marianne2

This is a wonderful place for my dad. The staffs are very caring and accommodating. They help him shower, get dressed, take his medicines and with other stuff he wants to do. He gets his meals 3 times a day and he says the food is great. Because he has Dementia, he doesn't really want to interact with others, he just stays in his room and watch TV. I can't think of anything that this place needs to improve; my dad is really in a good place.

November 18, 2011

By Uptwngrl1957

On Long Island, New York there are only 3 medicare/medicaide assisted living facilities. I went to all three to check them out. All three were extremely clean, well kept, and with an awesome staff. Each had their own ways of doing activities, along with living headquarters, and cost. I chosed Amber Court for Mom's residence. It was only 20 mins. from my home, convience area (taking Mom out), along with I knew Mom would adjust at Amber Court extremely well. I'm truly happy with Amber Court's staff, actitivies, and especiallly the drs. that my Mom uses at the residence. Mom has only 3 specialist outside the residence, my choice. The rest of the drs. at Amber Court have been extrememly helpful in my Mom's care. They are very caring, thoughtful, and available upon calling them with any questions.

Costs for Amber Court of Westbury

• Credit Card
  • Check

• State Licenses: 400-F-325

About Amber Court of Westbury

Since 1968, under the loving care and guidance of Alfred and Judith Schonberger, they set the standard for quality care and lifestyle for seniors, in a residential setting. This holistic approach for an individual’s well-being, physically, mentally and emotionally, is at the heart of the Amber Court Family experience.

Amber Court of Westbury is surrounded by world-class beaches, pristine parks, restaurants and shopping centers. Our proximity to entertainment, recreational, medical centers, and our provided amenities make it a desirable destination for seniors.

Map of Amber Court of Westbury