Brooklyn is the most populous borough of New York City, with an estimated 2.5 million residents, over 14% of whom are seniors aged 65 and above. Older adults in Brooklyn have access to many hospitals and several nonprofit programs created to meet their needs. In 2011, Sperling’s Best Places ranked Brooklyn No. 10 in Best US Cities for Seniors.

Assisted living facilities provide senior care in a residential setting. Residents receive tailored services that can include help with bathing, dressing and eating. Meals and housekeeping are generally included in the rates. Many facilities offer care in a homelike environment and accommodations can range from self-contained apartments to semiprivate rooms, depending on the size of the community. Assisted living is suitable for seniors who need help with some aspects of daily living but still want to remain as independent as possible. Brooklyn seniors pay an average of $5,750 per month for assisted living. This is more expensive than both state and national averages.

This guide introduces Brooklyn as a retirement option for seniors looking for assisted living, and it compares the rates in the city with other areas. We’ve also listed some helpful resources in the area.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Brooklyn, NY

2015, 2016

The Waterford on the Bay

2900 Bragg Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11235

I looked at The Waterford Senior Living. I had a family member placed there. There are good things about it, but there’s confusion. There’s a lack of communication. There are problems on and off. He l … (read more)

2015, 2016, 2017

Sunrise at Sheepshead Bay

2211 Emmons Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11235

Great home for my mom. The staff treats her like family. She really thrived over the past 5 or so years there. When we asked her how she was, she would say – "I live in a resort hotel, everyone tak … (read more)

2016

Sunrise at Mill Basin

5905 Strickland Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11234

I’m going to move my mother to Sunrise at Mill Basin’s assisted living. It’s lovely, it looks like a resort or a hotel and it’s nicely kept. It’s very pretty and the room was very nice. They have comp … (read more)

Signature Senior Living

631 Foster Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11230

The facilities at Signature Senior Living were pretty clean, and the location is nice. It’s in the middle of Brooklyn by the Ocean Parkway, so it’s within walking distance of all the transportation an … (read more)

Ocean Manor

3010 West 33rd Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11224

I toured Ocean View Manor yesterday. I liked the room setting, and my father will have a roommate. The facility is very clean and the staff is OK. She showed me the view of the beach. The setting is g … (read more)

Harborview Senior Living

3900 Shore Parkway, Brooklyn, NY, 11235

My relative’s stay at Harborview Senior Living wasn’t pleasant. She ended up getting sick when she fell and had to be hospitalized. It seemed to be a nice facility, aesthetic-wise, but I don’t believe … (read more)

Brooklyn Adult Care Center

2830 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11208

Everything about this facility is horrible! The managers do not listen or care about the residents and people are always called to investigate complaints.

Norwegian Christian Home & Health Center

1250 67Th Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11219

Norwegian Christian Home & Health Center is very nice. It’s like a home and had a very warm atmosphere. The people, the tour person was very nice and the staff was nice. It was a nice facility, th … (read more)

Mermaid Manor Home for Adults

3602 Mermaid Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11224

Mermaid Manor Home for Adults was clean, looked good from the outside, and was spacious. The staff was friendly, patient, quick so you don’t have to wait too long, and hospitable.

Independent Living Association

110 York Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11201

All the workers in the facility were very helpful and understanding. My Grandmother felt comfortable there after a short while. Whenever I’d come to visit, they would usually allow me to stay passed m … (read more)

Ateret Avot

1410 East 10th Street, (Corner Avenue N), Brooklyn, NY, 11230

I choose to visit Ateret Avot because it is closer to where I live; I wanted my mother to be closer to me. The facility was pleasant. The rooms were nice size. They were clean and decorated nicely. I … (read more)

Brooklyn Boulevard ALP

636 Louisiana Ave, Brooklyn, NY, 11239

Brooklyn Boulevard ALP was so modern and they have so many activities. Everything was lovely. They have a hairdresser, a movie room, bowling, music room, and more. You name it, they have it. The only … (read more)

Amber Court Assisted Living in Brooklyn, NY

650 East 104th Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11236

Amber Court Assisted Living in Brooklyn, NY was good. The only thing was I thought the rooms that I saw were a bit too small for two people. It was also a little bit dark. The staff was excellent thou … (read more)

New South Shore Manor

1041 East 83rd Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11236

I toured this facility a little while back and really was impressed. I informed them I would like to move there within the next few months. It looked recently renovated, place smelled good. I was able … (read more)

St. Nicholas Home

437 Ovington Avenue, Brooklyn, NY, 11209

this place needs to be renovated the food is horrible
this place needs to be renovated the food is horrible

Cumberland Gardens

425 Cumberland Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11201

Everything was good at Cumberland Gardens until they told me about how many sleepovers you can have over the year. I did not like the fact that the sleepover was only 28 times a year. Everybody was ni … (read more)

Brookdale Family Care Center Eastern Parkway

1883 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn, NY, 11233

My mother was in Brookdale for rehab before, and I was not happy with it. From my view, they don’t pay as much attention to the patients and the clients that were there, and they were very rude and di … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Assisted Living in Brooklyn

Since most COVID-19 rules for Assisted Living Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Assisted Living in New York. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Brooklyn

In the state of New York, assisted living communities are classed under the umbrella term Adult Care Facilities. These units must adhere to a robust list of laws and regulations as determined by the state’s Department of Health.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Brooklyn

• Brooklyn is home to many high-quality medical centers such as the Brooklyn Hospital Center, which has a specialized unit for the needs of older adults. Other nearby hospitals include Brookdale Hospital Medical Center and Mount Sinai Brooklyn
  • The borough is an expensive area to reside in, with an overall cost of living just over double the national average. However, when it comes to health care, seniors in Brooklyn only pay slightly more than the national median.
  • As a large metropolitan area, Brooklyn sees more crime than the average American town. The violent incident rate of 39.5 is significantly higher than the national rate of 22.7, while property crime levels are nearly in line with the rest of the country. Assisted living communities do provide security and transportation for residents, so seniors shouldn’t be concerned about their safety.
  • Residents in Brooklyn enjoy around 226 days of sunshine every year, which is more than the U.S. average of 205. During the cold season, temperatures can drop to 27 degrees, and the borough receives an estimated 28 inches of snow annually.
  • Seniors aged 65 and older can save significantly on taxes with the Senior Citizen Homeowners’ Exemption.
  • As a part of New York City, Brooklyn has been a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities since 2012. This means city officials are taking steps to make the community as comfortable as possible for senior residents.

Paying for Assisted Living in Brooklyn

Brooklyn’s median rate for assisted living is $5,750 on average per month, according to data from the 2021 Genworth Cost of Care Survey. Compared with the U.S. average of $4,500 and the state average of $4,580, assisted living in Brooklyn is more expensive.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

The Brooklyn area is among the highest-priced for assisted living within the state. Rates in areas such as Poughkeepsie ($4,770), Kingston ($4,500) and Binghamton ($4,597) are at least $980 more affordable than Brooklyn. However, further north, in the Albany area, the rate for assisted living of $5,269 is only a few hundred dollars below Brooklyn.

$5750

Albany

$4597

Binghamton

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors in Brooklyn who prefer receiving care at home could opt for home care or home health care service providers, which charge $5,529 and $5,720, respectively. Adult day health locations provide day-time care and are the least costly option for seniors in the city, at an average rate of $1,950 per month. The most expensive form of senior care in Brooklyn is nursing home care, with monthly rates of around $13,231, for a private room and $12,471 for a semiprivate room.

$5529

$12471

Nursing Home (semiprivate)

$13231

Nursing Home (private)

Note: Care cost data for Brooklyn was not available, so data for the closest city, New York City, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Brooklyn

Beyond state Medicaid, the state of New York provides a couple waiver programs that help seniors afford their chosen assisted living facility. The Managed Long Term Care Waiver helps residents with payment in assisted living facilities and the Assisted Living Program helps those who qualify for nursing home care but want to live in an assisted living facility afford it.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.

Paying for Assisted Living in New York

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Brooklyn

Seniors in Brooklyn are served by many agencies and programs. Some of these services include advocacy for assisted living residents, while others can help seniors access public benefits they are entitled to.

Resource

Contact

Service

This is the area agency on aging serving seniors in Brooklyn. With the Aging Connect line, callers can learn more about available programs in their area and find out if they are eligible for government benefits. Other services include advocacy, case management and access to a comprehensive list of private and nonprofit agencies for seniors.

The Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage (EPIC) is a state of New York program that helps low-income seniors with the cost of their medication. Eligible seniors meeting the income criteria may qualify for a reduction in the cost of their prescriptions.

The long-term care ombudsman is part of a national initiative under the Older Americans Act. The ombudsman advocates for the rights of seniors who live in units such as assisted living facilities. Residents can get in touch with the ombudsman for advice on finding suitable accommodations and to report concerns about their facility. Additionally, volunteers with the program conduct regular inspections to ensure that facilities are up to state and national standards.

(800)701-0501

HIICAP is a statewide educational program that helps seniors understand their health insurance options. Older adults can get advice and gain knowledge about issues such as Medicare, savings programs and Medicaid.

(917)661-4500

This agency offers legal advice and assistance to low-income seniors in the Brooklyn area. Seniors can talk to a lawyer about matters such as living wills, public benefits and guardianship.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Brooklyn

Brooklyn Assisted Living Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Assisted Living Facilities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New York