48 Assisted Living Facilities near Jersey City, NJ
Also serving communities of North Bergen.
There are 48 Assisted Living Facilities in the Jersey City area, with 1 in Jersey City and 47 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 238 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Jersey City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Jersey City 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Newark with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Jersey City, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Jersey City, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Jersey City
Jersey City, one of oldest cities in New Jersey, is located on the scenic Hudson River directly across from lower Manhattan. Around 9.7 percent of the population are seniors and there are over 20 assisted living facilities (ALFs) to accommodate them in the Jersey city area, with one facility within city limits. The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services is responsible for licensing ALFs in Jersey City and elsewhere in the state and defines them as either assisted living residences (ALRs), comprehensive personal care homes (CPCHs) and assisted living programs (ALPs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Jersey City
Air quality is good with a rating of 34 out of 100, lower than the U.S. average of 58. The city fares better than the surrounding areas in Hudson County which receives an F grade from the American Lung Association.
- The weather in Jersey City varies by season with high temperatures in the summer reaching around 83 degrees Fahrenheit and lows in the 30s during winter. On average, the city gets 48 inches of rain a year, above the U.S. average of 39, and is comparable to the U.S. average of 26 inches of snow per year.
- Jersey City’s violent crime rate is fairly high. The city scored a 61.9 out of 100 compared to the national average of 31.1. Property crime fared better at 33.9, below the U.S. average of 38.1.
- Along with the rest of the New York metro area, cost of living in Jersey City is high, exceeding the U.S. average by 33.3 percent. This is predominantly due to housing while transportation, groceries and health care costs are only slightly above national averages.
- Seniors have access to plenty of transportation options in Jersey City including the PATH train, which has stops throughout parts of Jersey and Manhattan, and the NJ transit buses and trains, all of which have reduced fares for seniors.
- Jersey City has an array of community resources for seniors through the Division of Senior Affairs, an organization that provides assistance to seniors looking for services such as transportation, social services and recreational events, as well as four senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Jersey City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Jersey City start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Jersey City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Jersey City
The State of New Jersey provides qualified seniors with financial support through the Medicaid Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) program. The PAAD program covers services that are not eligible through Medicaid which may help seniors offset costs of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Jersey City
Jersey City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Jersey City, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Jersey City
Jersey City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Jersey City, NJ
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Jersey City
Review of The Atrium At Hamilton Park
Alaris Health at The Atrium is nice and clean. The people are very nice, but the food is not good. The dining room looks really nice, but the food is the same food that they use in the nursing home... Read more
Review of The Atrium At Hamilton Park
the facility looks very clean and has a friendly environment. Read more