41 Assisted Living Facilities near Kearny, NJ
There are 41 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kearny area, with 1 in Kearny and 40 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 244 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kearny. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kearny 3.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Newark with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kearny, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Kearny, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kearny
Kearny is a suburb of Newark, New Jersey, located along the Atlantic coast. The city combines the welcoming comfort of small-town living with convenient access to big cities such as Newark, New York and Boston. A little more than 17 percent of the city's population of 43,600 are seniors aged 60 and older. Hudson County, where Kearny is located, offers 53 different assisted living facilities, providing plenty of options for those who need a little extra help with daily living tasks. New Jersey assisted living facilities are licensed by the New Jersey Department of Health. Regulations stipulate that staff be on hand 24 hours a day.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kearny
- Four-season weather in Kearny, New Jersey, includes warm, humid summers and cold, snowy winters. Average high temperatures in July are 86 degrees, and January lows average around 24. Seniors sensitive to cold weather may be uncomfortable here.
- The cost of living in Holmdel is 141.7, compared to the U.S. average of 100. Housing costs are high, at 182 compared to the base of 100. Grocery and healthcare, however, are more in line with the national average, at 104.4 and 98, respectively, which means seniors can get more for their money.
Rates for violent crime in Kearny are 19.3 compared to the U.S. average of 31.1. Property crime incidences are slightly lower than the national average of 38.1, at a rate of 35.3 per every 100. Seniors are cautioned to take care and use common sense when traveling into Newark.
- Kearny residents have access to the New Jersey Transit Authority, which provides both rail lines and buses. Those 62 and older are eligible for reduced fares. Paratransit services are available for those who qualify. The Kearny Department of Health also manages a limited-route bus program for seniors to get around in the town itself.
- The Kearny area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Michaels Medical Center and Kearny County Hospital in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Kearny has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Kearny Couty Senior Center, an organization that offers yoga, painting and computer classes, group trips and health care screenings for seniors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kearny
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Kearny start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kearny and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kearny
New Jersey offers Medicaid waivers as part of the federal government's Comprehensive Medicaid Waiver. Qualified residents in Kearny may be able to take advantage of the Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services and Supports program. It's compliant with federal regulations and may offset costs of assisted living. New Jersey's system has no enrollment caps, so all those who are eligible to receive services will receive them.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kearny
Kearny and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kearny, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kearny
Kearny-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kearny
Review of Alaris Health at Belgrove
Right now, my sister-in-law is in Clara Maass Continuing Care. I had to get an attorney because she was diagnosed with dementia, and they’re not treating her properly. They want to send her home, b... Read more
Review of Alaris Health at Belgrove
I was very impressed with the staff there. They treated the patients like family. They always had smiles on their faces and they never made you feel like they were rushed if you inquired about a ... Read more