18 Assisted Living Facilities near Bloomfield, NJ
Also serving communities of Montclair.
There are 18 Assisted Living Facilities in the Bloomfield area, with 1 in Bloomfield and 17 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Bloomfield is $3,913 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include West Orange with an average starting cost of $3,847.
To help you with your search, browse the 129 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bloomfield. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bloomfield 4.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cedar Grove with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bloomfield, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Bloomfield, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bloomfield
Bloomfield, New Jersey, is a well-connected township located in the heart of Essex County. The city had a population of 47,315 in 2010, including some 5,665 residents over 65. Although seniors represent 12 percent of Bloomfield's population, the community is home to just one assisted living facility. However, an additional 10 communities are located in the surrounding area. All assisted living centers are inspected and regulated by the New Jersey Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bloomfield
- Seniors in Bloomfield have convenient access to local theaters, regional performing arts centers and world-class entertainment venues, including the Paper Mill Playhouse and the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.
Bloomfield's climate is very close to the national average. Although the area receives 26 inches of snow and 50 inches of rain annually, residents enjoy an average of 205 days of sunshine. During the cold season, the average daily high is 48 degrees Fahrenheit with an average low of 24 degrees Fahrenheit. Between June and mid-September, the average high is a balmy 76 degrees Fahrenheit with moderate humidity.
- Essex County is served by NJ Transit buses and rail lines that provide service throughout the New York City metropolitan area. The city operates two shuttle routes that take passengers to Bloomfield Station. Transportation services for seniors are available through the county.
- Bloomfield has a convenient location in the New York City metropolitan area. Unfortunately, the air quality is worse than the national average. The American Lung Association found that the New York-Newark area was one of the 10 worst regions for ozone pollution and one of the 40 worst based on the concentration of particulates.
- The cost of living in Bloomfield is nearly 20 percent higher than the national average. However, the community has received an A+ for its amenities. Higher housing prices account for the majority of the difference. Residents also pay more for utilities and transportation.
- Fortunately, Bloomfield's higher cost of living is offset by New Jersey's favorable retirement income tax policy. Social Security benefits, military pensions and railroad retirement distributions must be reported, but they are not taxed by the state. Residents over age 62 may qualify for exemptions that limit the tax on IRA and 401(k) withdrawals.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bloomfield
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Bloomfield start around $3,913 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bloomfield and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bloomfield
New Jersey provides financial subsidies for assisted living expenses through the Medicaid Managed Long Term Services and Supports program. Eligibility is based on income, resources, age and clinical care requirements. This program is managed by Area Agencies on Aging and the Aging & Disability Resource Connection.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bloomfield
Bloomfield and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bloomfield, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bloomfield
Bloomfield-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bloomfield
Review of Job Haines Home
My father spent his last three and a half years here and I am so grateful. They are a caring, compassionate, competent and safe facility. They managed all his late life transitions seamlessly and ... Read more
Review of Job Haines Home
Job Haines was very nice, and I would have liked my dad to stay there, but they seem to be more selective about their residents. If they feel that someone might act out, they’re not going to accept... Read more
Review of Job Haines Home
Very attentive and respectful of residents. Read more