The 10 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Elizabeth, NJ for 2023
Also serving communities of Linden.
There are 18 Assisted Living Facilities in the Elizabeth area, with 2 in Elizabeth and 16 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Elizabeth is $3,750 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,870.
To help you with your search, browse the 150 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Elizabeth. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Elizabeth 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Elizabeth, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Elizabeth, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Elizabeth
Elizabeth is New Jersey's largest city by area. While the city's population is lower than others at just over 100,000, it's a short drive to larger cities such as Newark and New York City. About 10 percent of Elizabeth's citizens are over 65, and there are 36 assisted living residences in Elizabeth and its surrounding areas to meet their needs. While only one is located right in Elizabeth, the remaining 35 are very close by in cities such as Staten Island and Newark. The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services is responsible for regulating assisted living residences and assisted living programs in the state of New Jersey.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Elizabeth
- The cost of living in Elizabeth is 19 percent higher than the U.S. average. While the cost of housing and utilities are mostly responsible for this, the cost of transportation and health care are both 5 percent above the national average. Because of these higher costs, seniors living in Elizabeth may need more money in savings or a higher monthly income to pay for the cost of assisted living.
- Seniors living in Elizabeth may feel unsafe due to the city's high crime rates. In Elizabeth, 8.28 violent crimes per 1,000 residents occur each year, whereas the state average is only 2.45 violent crimes per 1,000 residents.
- The state of New Jersey taxes retirees at a lower rate. Retirement withdrawals are only charged 1.75 percent state tax. Social security income is not taxed in New Jersey. This means that seniors may have more available cash to pay for assisted living.
- Elizabeth is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Elizabeth area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Trinitas Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- New Jersey Transit serves Elizabeth and surrounding areas with safe mass transit options including trains and buses. Reduced fares are available to seniors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Elizabeth
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Elizabeth start around $3,150 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Elizabeth and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Elizabeth
Assisted living programs in New Jersey are covered by the state's Medicaid 1115 Demonstration Waiver -- Managed Long-Term Services and Supports. Eligible seniors can apply for this program which will cover the cost of services provided in assisted living residences.
An optional state supplement is available to assisted living residents who receive supplemental security income. This is meant to cover the cost of room and board in assisted living residences, which is capped for Medicaid eligible residents.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Elizabeth
Elizabeth and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Elizabeth, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Elizabeth
Elizabeth-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Elizabeth, NJ
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Elizabeth
Review of ALEXIAN MANOR
Alexion Manor was very clean and very professional. The rooms were very nice and very up to date. They have a hall and secure parking for the seniors. They also have a recreation center and a laund... Read more