Sunrise of Staten Island

Offers Assisted Living, Independent Living, and Memory Care

801 Narrows Road North, Staten Island, NY 10304
Sunrise of Staten Island (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 178 days

Please ask about our special incentives!

Reviews of Sunrise of Staten Island

Assisted Living Reviews for Sunrise of Staten Island

January 18, 2015

I visited Sunrise Senior Living. It was clean. It looked to be well run and well designed. My only concern is my father does not need assisted living, and it was not easily accessible to pedestrian traffic. However, I understood that most of the people who were in this facility were homebound so it probably made little or no difference to them. Otherwise, it looked to be an excellent facility. The staff was very helpful, very pleasant, and very customer oriented.

December 27, 2014

By Judy5350

Sunrise is very nice. I visited this place for my stepmom. They were very professional. They're pretty much like the other facility except for the fact that they have medical staff. It appeared to be very clean. The staff was very easy to talk to.

April 01, 2014

By Tom49

I liked Sunrise. I thought it was a nice facility. I thought it was neat, clean, and decorated nicely. The person who assisted me was very, very nice. I spoke to the manager for the interview. They had a dining room and a meeting room. The dining room was very nice. I didn't observe any activities going on while I was there, but I could see that they did things. The room was fine. The nicer rooms will cost more money. One of the issues was that when I looked at what I thought would be appropriate for my aunt, the cost became rather expensive. They had a little snack bar with coffee all day long. I had no problems with the facility.

February 24, 2014

Sunrise of Staten Island was a nice facility but it's very expensive for me and my wife. The rooms were very small and if you wanted bigger ones, that's double the price then. The one for the two of us would be eleven thousand a month, and that was small even for two people. The place was nicely kept and it seemed like they gave a lot of attention to the people there. It would be nice if they have always taken the cost and how the rooms were. We were treated very nicely by the people there. They went over everything but the only thing they didn't mention in the beginning was the price and that came at the end. They could’ve put the price in the beginning. They called me several times to inform me it could be lower now but didn’t say what price. The rooms had a stove and little refrigerator and then you would bring your own furniture in. The rooms facing the back there face a wall with a little yard, so it has not much of a view in the back. But the ones in front at least you can see the way. They had some people sitting around who seemed happy and relaxed.

June 07, 2013

By SI Merry

The facility is lovely, but the woman who said it is only $5,000 a month needs to double check that figure. It is more like $7,000 and that is if no regular services are provided (i.e., medication given, etc.). I like the facility itself - it is very homey and very clean. I think some of the people "in charge" don't know what the heck they are doing. And I also think that while they do provide very good care, it's all about the money and they can't wait to tack additional charges onto the bill. They also don't apprise you regularly on your loved one's status. I'd like a once a week update - via e-mail is fine. But when there is an issue, or when they are going to tack on more money -- they hit you with a list of cumulative issues. And you are not aware of any of them because they have never told you. Of course we, everyone, need to make money. But it is very blatant here. If you're waiting for a room, you'll hear regularly that rooms become available because people run out of money.

May 14, 2013

I visited Sunrise at Staten Island. The place is absolutely beautiful and elegant. The furniture is custom made. It's like a resort. They have lots of activities for the residents like arts and crafts, movie screenings and Bible studies. The staff is very attentive. They have meals there, food is really good. It's $5,000 a month, you're paying top dollar. They seemed to know all the residents' needs and they call them by name.

July 20, 2012

By Rosemarie Petraglia

Outstanding place with the hearts of all the workers and providers. Elena L., my mom, was a resident from July 2010 through December 2011. I am so glad mom spent her time here, and will always be extremely grateful for the combined efforts we received from this facility. It seemed like a hotel rather than a health care facility yet was more reasonably priced.

June 13, 2012

By AmandaJW

I actually helped my father pick this one out because I thought it was the nicest looking one we had seen (and we went to about a dozen or so). I also liked how friendly and caring the staff seems to be. My Grandmother is not the easiest person to get along with but the nurses here seem to take her attitude in stride. When I went to visit her she seemed content, not the happiest, but not miserable. I know it has nothing to do with the facility though, she just hates that she can't be at home. She was very well cared for though. Her room was perfectly clean and so was she. I know this may sound weird or paranoid but I also checked her for any marks on her body. I do not think this place is that kind of place but you never know. She did say the food was pretty good, or at least better than in the hospital. I tried some of her lunch and it wasn't too bad. I also got a tour of the place from one of the nurses. The inside is very nice and there seem to be a lot of activities and games for everyone to entertain themselves. The grounds are also quite nice and peaceful, at least for being in Staten Island. The only reason I gave this place 4 stars instead of 5 is because it is a tad expensive compared to the other ones on the island. In all both my father and I are happy with this place and feel better knowing she is well cared for, especially since we live about an hour and a half away from SI.

May 25, 2012

By Micro2nd

This is a very fine facility. From what we saw, it is an excellent facility, although it is somewhat more expensive than other facilities in the area. There was a full range of services, including regular twice daily hydration. We were told that the most popular activity is Bingo, so they run games 6 days a week. The rooms are on the small side, and because of the placement, some of the rooms are kind of dark. Given the costs, two-room apartments are very expensive, although they do provide a more comfortable living environment. Each room is provided with a kitchenette with refrigerator and micowave. The dining facility on the first floor was very pleasant, and the staff appears to take pains to see that the residents are eating well. There is a section of the facility -- in this case the 2nd and 3rd floors -- for those with alzheimers and senile dementia. They have a separate dining facility and the environment is much more controlled. They pointed out opportunities for receiving benefits from the Veterans Administration and had a memo on the tax deductability of their charges, which was useful. They provide both emergency pull-cords in the apartments and showers, and also provide wireless emergency transmitters. This facility competes (if that's the appropriate word) with Island Shores and Esplanade, both on Staten Island. In summary, it is an excellent facility and I would feel very comfortable with a family member being there.

Costs for Sunrise of Staten Island

• Coffee Shop

• Pets: All Pets Allowed

• State Licenses: 610-S-003

About Sunrise of Staten Island

Come visit Sunrise of Staten Island, a warm, NY State Licensed, senior living community servicing NYC metro-area residents on the north shore of Staten Island, NY. Besides round-the-clock nursing care and restaurant-style dining, our cozy home offers daytime and evening programming seven days a week. Our activities focus on the mind, body and spirit, and three to five days a week; many of our residents are out and about visiting local area attractions. Our daily conditioning club challenges residents to maintain or improve their strength and mobility, and our life enrichment programming in our Reminiscence Neighborhood offers stimulation and support to residents with memory loss. Our team of Designated Care Managers tailors programs to each resident's individual needs—whatever they may be. At Sunrise of Staten Island, residents can comfortably age in place and enjoy peace of mind knowing our family-oriented team will always be there for them. Our location to various parks, shopping and dining makes for fun outings for all to enjoy. Whether you were born and raised in the NYC area or have family living nearby, you’ll love being able to access all the amenities of the boroughs and Long Island from our assisted living community.

On the north shore of Staten Island, right along the service road of the Staten Island Expressway and near the Verrazano Bridge. Minutes from Brooklyn and New Jersey. Within close proximity to NYC-based hospitals and rehabs. Nearby attractions include Clove Lake Park, Silver Lake Park, Snug Harbor, the St. George Theatre and the Staten Island Zoo. Weekly and monthly wellness visits from doctors. Offering family support groups for our residents with memory loss. Daily conditioning club to improve strength and mobility. Rent-stabilized homes. Wheelchair-friendly design.

Map of Sunrise of Staten Island