Brookdale West Orange

Reviews of Brookdale West Orange

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale West Orange

November 27, 2018

By Geri

My new room is clean, cheery, bright and well-staffed. All of the staff are caring, helpful and pleasant people. The meals are hot, very good and served to your taste! I am very content here and willing to spend the rest of my senior years at Brookdale.

November 01, 2018

By J. Taylor from Summerville, SC

Realizing that I am not only longwinded, but am also long penned as well, I will try to summarize as best as I can. From day one, they have been spectacular. If I say any more than that, I know I will run out of lines.

October 08, 2018

By A Visitor

Brookdale West Orange seemed very nice. It was a bit noisy in the lobby area because they were watching TV in the main room, but it seemed clean, and the people seemed to be friendly. The rooms were very small. They had an activity room for crafts, a hair salon, and a patio area.

October 05, 2018

By Rwestorange

From the first minute that I walked into Brookdale, West Orange, I was impressed by the warmth of the environment. It is not a fancy facility, just as a lived-in home might not be called fancy. More importantly, the staff is genuinely warm and caring in their approach to residents and family members in my experience. The "can do" attitude and one-on-one approach, I think makes all of the difference. However, the distinguishing characteristic of this facility over others my Dad visited and took respite in is that they treat their residents with the respect. A remarkable number of facilities and services treat seniors as if they are children. To me, that is maddening ... and disturbing. I can only imagine how it feels to have lived 90 years and arrive in a place where all those around you treat you as though you are unable to comprehend, reason, decide, feel and have no preferences. I am really grateful to have found Brookdale West Orange for my Dad.

January 10, 2018

By Linda D

We visited Brookdale West Orange where my husband's mother stayed for a year. It's a comfortable, well-designed, very clean, spacious facility with an emphasis on social activities. They cater to the specific needs of the residents. The rooms themselves are modest in size but very clean and well kept. You decorate them yourself. Activities include trips in the local area. For instance, in the fall, there's a little bus trip through the Reservation to see the leaves changing color, but there's also trips to concerts and films. They have clubs like music clubs and a book club which my mother-in-law loved a lot. She loved the food there. The chef actually interviews each resident to find out what their particular tastes are and tries to provide customized meals for them.

May 06, 2017

By A Visitor235347

I liked Brookdale West Orange. It was new-looking and nice, but the rooms were very small. The people were very nice. The only thing I did not like about it was they did not have that many activities; some places have a much busier schedule. When I asked about trips to go to the stores or something, they told me that they go to Essex Greene, which has a supermarket, an art supply store, Panera Bread, a pet store, an eyeglasses store, a liquor store, and a dry cleaner, but it is not like a fun place to visit. It is not like going to a movie theater or going to hear a talk. Their activities are pretty basic, and I think my mother is the kind of person who likes to go out.I would normally give them a 4, but I think the lack of activities and small rooms bumps it down to a 3.

February 29, 2016

By Jeanine5

I visited Brookdale West Orange for my husband. It looked very inviting. The staff seemed good to me. Their rooms looked wonderful. It was the holiday, so they had a lot of activities.

February 10, 2016

By Deborah D1

Brookdale West Orange was good. The place was being renovated when we visited because it was just taken over by Brookdale. Some rooms needed upgrading, and they were doing that. It was clean, and kept well. This facility was smaller than the other facility we visited. The manager who gave us the tour was very professional, and followed up with us several times. He even went to visit mom at the rehab center just to check on her. They mentioned they also have the memory care unit. This facility has a homey atmosphere.

December 30, 2015

By Avram

Brookdale West Orange is a caring place. It’s small enough and it’s good. I just got to call them about some medical needs. The dining area has a very homey feel. The rooms are perfect but it’s very expensive.

May 28, 2015

It actually needed some repair. The facility was a little bit older. We did not get the opportunity to see the memory care unit, but that was also supposedly scheduled for repair. We weren't impressed. It was just so worn. The care did not cost as high as some others that we had gone to, but it was relatively high. The staff was very accommodating, and they were very helpful in touring the facility.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your thoughts. We are looking forward to the new updates, and we hope you will keep us in mind and come back to visit again!

May 22, 2015

By Ellen45

They have been very nice and have been very accommodating so far, and it’s been great. They weren’t pushy; they were very helpful and relaxed. The rooms were OK, and the dining room is fine. However, the place is a little worn down and doesn’t look as nice with some of the other places that we saw. They have movies and bingo, and they seemed to have music and parties.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. By giving us your feedback, you are helping us to understand what we do well and what we need to focus on improving. Please be assured your feedback will be reviewed and used to help better serve our residents and their families.

February 25, 2015

It was very nice and very modern. My aunt liked it. We were comfortable with it. The place was very clean. The staff was friendly. They had nice things for them to do like arts and crafts.

December 30, 2013

By Gail16

It was more upscale. The place looked clean and well kept. But they were not really walkable. So, if somebody who had some independence and wanted to walk outside and go someplace to pick up a bagel or go to a restaurant, they were not conducive to that. I also didn't see many mobile residents there.

September 26, 2013

By jsf1218

I found it to be acceptable. They have very large and lovely rooms. The administrative staff was wonderful. I instantly bonded with one of the staff and she was wonderful. Overall, for me, it was just a facility with its pros and cons.

April 23, 2013

By Phoebe2

They had very professional and knowledgeable staff. Their rooms were actually larger than the other facilities I've been to and they were clean. I'd recommend this facility to others.

April 11, 2013

By Anne15

It was a clean and attractive place. It had a homey atmosphere. The staff was very courteous. However, in a shared room, one person can occupy a large bedroom, but the other person sharing the room would occupy a tiny room.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale West Orange

• Walking Wheelchair Assistance

• State Licenses: #30A001

About Brookdale West Orange

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale West Orange