45 Assisted Living Facilities near Rockaway Park, NY
Also serving communities of Rockaway Beach.
There are 45 Assisted Living Facilities in the Rockaway Park area, with 2 in Rockaway Park and 43 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 320 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Rockaway Park. Better rated regions include Far Rockaway with an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Rockaway Park, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Rockaway Park, NY
43 Assisted Living Facilities near Rockaway Park, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Rockaway Park
The small community of Rockaway Park is located on the Rockaway Peninsula, New York, bordered by Jamaica Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. The Rockaways were once known as New York's playground, and today, seniors in the area can still stroll along the famous beaches. The population in Rockaway Beach and the adjacent neighborhoods is around 20,000 people, and 18% of residents are aged 65 and over.
There are 45 assisted living facilities offering accommodation to seniors in the area who are mostly independent but want some help with activities of daily living. In Rockaway Park, and all of New York, these facilities are licensed and monitored by the New York State Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Rockaway Park
- The Rockaway Park area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. John's Episcopal Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Metropolitan Transportation Authority provides public transport to Rockaway Beach. Riders aged 65 and over are eligible for reduced fares. Seniors may also be able to use the Access-A-Ride Paratransit service that offers a shared-ride origin-to-destination and feeder services to eligible passengers.
- New York City, including Rockaway Park, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The State of the Air 2018 report awarded Queens County, including Rockaway Park, an A grade for 24-hour particle pollution. However, the county received a failing grade for ozone pollution, which could have a detrimental impact on the health of seniors with respiratory illnesses.
- Rockaway Park has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Jewish Association Serving the Aging, an organization that provides services to enrich and sustain the lives of aging residents as well as more than three senior centers.
- Seniors in Rockaway Park do not pay state income tax on income from Social Security and selected public pensions. In addition, there is a sizable deduction for taxpayers aged 60 and over on income received from retirement accounts and other pensions. New York's sales taxes are among the highest in the country, however many everyday expenses such as groceries, medications and selected clothing, are exempt.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Rockaway Park
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Rockaway Park start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Rockaway Park and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Rockaway Park
Rockaway Park seniors who receive Social Security benefits may be able to access financial assistance through the Optional State Supplement. The Assisted Living Program also helps fund care for people in assisted living, although the funding available is limited.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Rockaway Park
Rockaway Park and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Rockaway Park, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Rockaway Park
Rockaway Park-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.