63 Assisted Living Facilities near Far Rockaway, NY
There are 63 Assisted Living Facilities in the Far Rockaway area, with 6 in Far Rockaway and 57 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Far Rockaway is $3,500 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 488 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Far Rockaway. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Far Rockaway 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lynbrook with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Far Rockaway, call (855) 863-8283.
6 Assisted Living Facilities in Far Rockaway, NY
57 Assisted Living Facilities near Far Rockaway, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Far Rockaway
Far Rockaway is a town in the eastern part of the Rockaways on the Rockaway Peninsula in Queens, New York. This seaside community sits between Jamaica Bay and the Atlantic Ocean just 17 miles from Manhattan. The senior population in Far Rockaway can choose from six assisted living facilities in town and over 50 in the surrounding areas. These communities are called adult care facilities (ACFs), and they provide nonmedical room and board for seniors. Assisted living in Far Rockaway is regulated by the State of New York’s Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Far Rockaway
- Far Rockaway has a variable climate with hot summers and cold, wet winters. Temperatures generally reach 82 degrees Fahrenheit in July and can drop to averages of 26 degrees in January. Snowfall is around 24 inches per year, and rainfall is 45 inches annually, on average.
- Far Rockaway offers seniors plenty to do including Rockaway Beach, Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge and the Riis Park Beach Bazaar. The town is also home to the Bayswater and JASA senior centers which offer seniors activities such as lunches, fitness programs, classes and day trips.
- Seniors on a budget may have difficulty living in Far Rockaway as the cost of living here is 69.3 percent higher than the U.S. average. This is due primarily to high housing and transportation costs, but groceries are also above average. Healthcare comes in right at national medians.
- The State of New York does not tax social security benefits and private pensions and retirement account are deductible, which can help seniors in Far Rockaway make the most of their retirement income.
- Seniors who don’t drive can get around Far Rockaway easily with the MTA public bus and the New York subway A line. MTA offers reduced fare metro cards with automatic refill options for seniors 65 and over. The Long Island Rail Road also provides services between Far Rockaway and points in Queens and Manhattan with special fares for seniors over 65.
- Far Rockaway is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively working toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Far Rockaway
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Far Rockaway start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Far Rockaway and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Far Rockaway
Seniors seeking financial aid for assisted living may apply through two different New York state governmental programs: Medicaid’s Managed Long Term Care Waiver (MLTC) and the Assisted Living Program (ALP).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Far Rockaway
Far Rockaway and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Far Rockaway, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Far Rockaway
Far Rockaway-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Far Rockaway, NY
Other Options in Far Rockaway, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Far Rockaway
Review of Long Island Living Center
The first time I enter the facility I was impress of how, the place is clean. and friendly. The people seems very happy and content, The staff are very attentive with the clients needs. I would ... Read more
Review of Central Assisted Living
I have visited this facility as an option for my grandmother. It was very clean. Everyone I met and staff were quite thoughtful and seemed to be very caring people. Was a great facility, and hope w... Read more
Review of Long Island Living Center
I have visited residents who have and are living at LIHLC and I heard such wonderful praises of the staff, so much about the food. One of the elderly gentlemen kept telling his wife to come join h... Read more