29 Assisted Living Facilities near Kew Gardens, NY
Also serving communities of Jamaica, Queens Village, Queens.
There are 29 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kew Gardens area, with 2 in Kew Gardens and 27 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Kew Gardens is $3,947 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 228 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kew Gardens. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kew Gardens 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Forest Hills with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 12 families in Kew Gardens find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kew Gardens, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Kew Gardens, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kew Gardens
Seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors can find nature in Kew Gardens, with Forest Park located on the neighborhood's western border. Kew Gardens is part of Queens Borough where 15 percent of the population is aged 65 and older. There are 26 assisted living facilities catering to seniors in the area which are regulated by the New York State Department of Health. They're referred to as Adult Care Facilities or Assisted Living Residences depending on the license they hold.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kew Gardens
- New York City, including Kew Gardens, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Kew Gardens area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The MTA provides public transport to people in Kew Gardens and riders aged 65 and over can apply for a Reduced-Fare MetroCard that gives a discount on fares. Some seniors may also be eligible for Access-A-Ride, a service for people who have difficulty using the fixed-route service.
- There is plenty of arts and culture close to Kew Gardens for seniors to enjoy. Queens is known for its flourishing arts scene with venues like the Sculpture Center offering interesting cultural experiences. Some assisted living facilities may offer trips into New York City to visit the Museum of Modern Art or see a Broadway show.
- Social Security Income is not taxable in New York. Other forms of retirement income are taxable, but the state offers a sizable deduction for people aged 60 and over. The average sales tax in New York is among the highest in the country, but groceries and medications are exempt, which can help seniors who are on a fixed income.
- The Borough of Queens, including Kew Gardens, has mixed air quality. The borough received an A grade for 24-hour particle pollution in the State of the Air 2018 report, but ozone pollution received a failing grade. Seniors with respiratory illnesses may wish to investigate impacts this may have on their health.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kew Gardens
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Kew Gardens start around $3,847 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kew Gardens and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kew Gardens
A limited number of people in New York can access financial assistance for assisted living through the Assisted Living Program (ALP). Seniors in Kew Gardens who receive Social Security may also be eligible for the Optional State Supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kew Gardens
Kew Gardens and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kew Gardens, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kew Gardens
Kew Gardens-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Kew Gardens, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kew Gardens
Review of Atria Kew Gardens
The staff at Atria Kew Gardens was friendly. The place was very clean and looked like they had nice amenities. They had outdoor patios, a movie room, and a library. The person who toured us was goo... Read more
Review of Atria Kew Gardens
This is the third place I’ve moved my mother and I could not ask for better staff and better service. My mom is so happy and engaged every day. I love all of the carestaff and the management team w... Read more
Review of Atria Kew Gardens
My 75 year old mother moved into assisted living at Atria Kew Gardens in July, 2020. Her apartment is absolutely stunning and everyone who works there goes above and beyond the call of duty. I am s... Read more