21 Assisted Living Facilities near East Meadow, NY
Also serving communities of Uniondale, Massapequa.
There are 21 Assisted Living Facilities in the East Meadow area, with 2 in East Meadow and 19 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in East Meadow is $7,692 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 300 reviews below for assisted living facilities in East Meadow. On average, consumers rate assisted living in East Meadow 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Franklin Square with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in East Meadow, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in East Meadow, NY
19 Assisted Living Facilities near East Meadow, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in East Meadow
East Meadow is a hamlet on New York's Long Island. It's home to around 38,000 people, and almost 17 percent of the population are 65 or older. East Meadow has two assisted living facilities that cater to seniors, and there are a further 56 in nearby communities.
In New York these facilities are known as Adult Care Facilities (ACF) or Assisted Living Residences (ALRs), depending on the license they hold. They're regulated by the New York State Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in East Meadow
- New York State, including East Meadow, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- East Meadow has hot summers and cold winters. The average July high is 83 degrees, and the low in January averages 24. The hamlet gets 22 inches of snow each year, 4 inches less than the national average, which may be challenging for seniors who enjoy spending time outside.
- The overall cost of living in East Meadow is 171 on the Sperling index, 71 points higher than the national average. The main factor in this is the price of housing. Seniors will find groceries more affordable at only four points higher than the national average, and the cost of health care is equal to the national average.
- East Meadow has an overall crime rate of around nine crimes per thousand residents, making it safer than 70 percent of American communities. Violent crime occurs at a rate of just 0.57 per 1,000 residents, compared to the state average of 3.76. Property crime is also low, with a rate of 8.72, compared to 15.46, making East Meadow a safe retirement option close to New York City.
- The East Meadow area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Nassau University Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Town of Hempstead, including East Meadow, has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Department of Senior Enrichment, an organization that provides social, recreational and educational opportunities for seniors, as well as more than one senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in East Meadow
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in East Meadow start around $7,692 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in East Meadow and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in East Meadow
Limited financial assistance is available to New York seniors living in assisted living facilities through the Assisted Living Program (ALP). Seniors receiving income through social security may be eligible for additional assistance through the Optional State Supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in East Meadow
East Meadow and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in East Meadow, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in East Meadow
East Meadow-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in East Meadow
Review of Sunrise of East Meadow
I saw Sunrise for my mother. The community was great, but it was too expensive. I did a full tour. I would have preferred that my mother was there because everything was good. They had a walking tr... Read more
Review of The Bristal Assisted Living at East Meadow
Very professional and compassionate. Comprehensive, excellent follow through. Listened and gave feedback correctly so we both understood the plan of action. Extensive knowledge and resources. Read more
Review of The Bristal Assisted Living at East Meadow
The staff is professional, friendly and responsive. Housekeeping, maintenance and food service are top notch. I know that my sister is in a safe place, which gives me great comfort. Read more