Hempstead is a city of 55,113 residents located on the western portion of Long Island in Nassau County, roughly 20 miles from the heart of New York City. Within a five-mile radius, the city’s 5,952 seniors have access to numerous medical facilities including NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island, Mount Sinai South Nassau and Nassau University Medical Center. Hempstead also has more than double the national average of physicians per capita

After hospitals, Hempstead’s nursing homes offer the most robust array of care services. Physicians and licensed nurses are typically on-site 24/7 ready to provide emergency medical care, assist with daily living activities and provide other care services such as glucose management and wound care. Rehabilitative services such as physical, speech and occupational therapy are usually available on-site as well. Since nursing home care in Hempstead averages $11,771 a month, nearly 52% above the national median, seniors may want to consider assisted living or home care if it satisfies their needs.

In addition to covering the costs of senior care in and around Hempstead, we’ve included several resources that may help seniors finance nursing home care and reduce their spending.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Hempstead, NY

Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center.

1 Greenwich St, Hempstead, NY, 11550

I was here for quite a few months, the care was outstanding all my needs were attended too.

Hempstead Park Nursing Home

800 FRONT STREET, Hempstead, NY, 11550

The facility makes daily automated phone calls to residents’ family/friends, letting them know if a confirmed covid case is identified in the facility. This has shown to be an efficient way of maintai … (read more)

Mayfair Care Center

100 BALDWIN ROAD, Hempstead, NY, 11550

My mom was admitted in October, 2016. I cannot say enough about the staff. They all have angel wings on their shoulders. The care my mother gets is superb. Everyone knows my mom’s name and the resp … (read more)

Meadowbrook Care Center

320 W Merrick Road , Freeport, NY, 11520

Our mother has been in five different rehabs over the years and Meadowbrook Care Center is one of the best rehabs in Nassau County. Mom was on Unit 2A and we cannot say enough about the outstanding l … (read more)

Belair Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

2478 Jerusalem Avenue, Bellmore, NY, 11710

I went to Belair Care Center after a total knee replacement. I couldn’t have been happier with my stay there! The staff is friendly and helpful. The place is very clean and gives you a warm feeling … (read more)

Sunharbor Manor

255 WARNER AVENUE, Roslyn Heights, NY, 11577

I you care for your family member or friend, avoid this place at all cost! My best friend was there for 3 weeks and was on Warfarin. When he came out of there, his INR level was 6.7, instead of 2.5 … (read more)

Highfield Gardens Care Center of Great Neck

199 COMMUNITY DRIVE, Great Neck, NY, 11021

I would like to express gratitude to Esther my occupational therapist who not only was able to converse with my fluently with me because of the Russian speaking program but helped me get stronger so I … (read more)

Townhouse Center For Rehabilitation & Nrsg

755 Hempstead Turnpike, Uniondale, NY, 11553

The staff (nurses, therapists, aides, maintenance, housekeeping) is wonderful. It is an effectant, caring and kind group. The Social Work staff is very helpful. Town-house includes a woman who helps t … (read more)

The Five Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

1050 Central Ave, Woodmere, NY, 11598

There’s nothing that I didn’t like at The Five Towns Premier Rehabilitation and Nursing Center. I like that even with COVID going on, they gave us a complete tour of the building. It’s immaculate, it’ … (read more)

Lynbrook Restorative Therapy & Nursing

243 Atlantic Avenue, Lynbrook, NY, 11563

After beating COVID 19, my mother (in her early 80’s) needed Physical Therapy and Cardio Therapy to get back on her feet after an extended hospital stay. I chose to send her to Lynbrook Restorative T … (read more)

Queen of Peace Residence

11030 221st St, Queens Village, NY, 11429

The Queen of Peace is extremely clean, and the food is delicious. They have a lot of volunteers, and the staff was very helpful, nice, and professional. The room I saw was like a studio, and you can b … (read more)

A Holly Patterson Extended Care Facility

875 JERUSALEM AVENUE, Uniondale, NY, 11553

A.Holly Patterson is a warm and friendly place. The staff are very helpful and informative. The floors are clean and neat and no smells. The main objective for the employee’s is to give the best quali … (read more)

Little Neck Care Center

260-19 Nassau Blvd, Little Neck, NY 11362, Little Neck, NY, 11362

It is impossible to get any information on my wife’s condition. All I get is pushed from one office to another. Never get to talk with the doctor.

Garden Care Center

135 FRANKLIN AVENUE, Franklin Square, NY, 11010

My father-in-law is in Garden Care Center. It’s nice. The place is old. I wouldn’t say rundown, but it’s not updated. Everyone was very nice. It just wasn’t updated, that’s all I could say. They shoul … (read more)

Parker Jewish Institute For Health Care & Rehabilitation

27111 76th Ave, New Hyde Park, NY, 11040

The only good thing about this facility was the proximity of our home to the facility. The Social Worker assigned to my father was unresponsive even after her direct managers were contacted- when and … (read more)

New Glen Oaks Nursing Home

26001 79th Avenue , Glen Oaks, NY, 11004

This facility should not have a 5 star rating but instead should have at least a 6 star rating. The building and furnishings are old but the care is far more than anyone can expect from any nursing fa … (read more)

Highland Care Center

9131 175TH STREET, Jamaica, NY, 11432

Two weeks ago my dad was send there from the hospital to get rehab because he was so weak. My dad ask to go to the hospital because he was having problems breathing they told it waa not a emergency, t … (read more)

Park Avenue Extended Care Facility

425 NATIONAL BOULEVARD, Long Beach, NY, 11561

As a Long Beach resident it was important for me to choose a facility for my mom close to me and my sisters so that we could visit her often. We were recommended to Park Avenue and it was the best p … (read more)

Central Island Healthcare

825 OLD COUNTRY RD, Plainview, NY, 11803

My dad is at Central Island Healthcare and, thus far, they’ve been very, very helpful. His social workers are very engaged with us and letting us know his status. His RN case manager has been very hel … (read more)

Grace Plaza Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

15 ST PAULS PLACE, Great Neck, NY, 11021

My sister moved into The Grand Rehabilitation and Nursing at Great Neck. They’ve been okay. She’s only been there for two weeks, and there’s no visiting, so it’s difficult to ascertain much informatio … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Hempstead, NY

The median monthly costs for nursing home care in Hempstead, NY, are $11,771 for a semiprivate room and $12,927 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Although seniors in Hempstead pay substantially more for nursing home care than the national median of $7,756, the city’s $11,771 median cost of nursing home care is more affordable than most cities in the area. On average, seniors in Kingston and Poughkeepsie pay $3,026 and $1,977 more per month, respectively, and older adults in nearby Bridgeport, CT, pay about $2,342 more each month. Compared to Hempstead, Binghamton’s seniors save about $228 a month while across the state, older adults pay about $548 more for nursing home care, on average.

$11771

$11543

Binghamton

$14113

Bridgeport, CT

Note: Data for Hempstead was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, New York, was used instead.

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Adult day health care’s $1,950 median monthly cost is the most affordable type of senior care followed by home care and home health care, which both average $4,957 a month. At an average of $5,991 a month, assisted living falls toward the middle of the cost range. Nursing home care represents the upper end of senior care costs in Hempstead, with a private room averaging $1,156 more per month than a semiprivate room.

$4957

Adult day health care

$5991

Assisted living

$11771

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$12927

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Hempstead, NY

Free Resources for Seniors in Hempstead, NY

We’ve compiled a few social assistance programs and organizations in the list below that can help seniors move into a nursing home by paying for care or lowering their living expenses.

ResourceContactDescription
Wellness In Nutrition Program(516) 227-8930The Wellness in Nutrition Program helps seniors at risk of malnutrition meet their dietary needs by delivering nutritious meals straight to their doorsteps. Meals are approved by a registered dietitian and designed to meet a third of seniors’ daily recommended nutritional intake. To qualify, seniors must be at least 60 years of age, have limited mobility and lack friends or family who can prepare meals for them.
Nassau County Department of Social Services(516) 227-8519At the Nassau County D.S.S., seniors can learn about and enroll in a variety of public assistance programs such as Medicaid and programs offering cash and food assistance. Workers at the agency can assist seniors in understanding the eligibility guidelines for Medicaid and its benefits including skilled nursing care and medical transportation.
Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program(516) 466-9718The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program ensures seniors in nursing facilities have someone to advocate for their rights and wellbeing. Ombudsmen frequently get involved when seniors have complaints about their quality of care as well as during financial disputes.
Nassau Suffolk Law Services Committee(516) 292-8088The Nassau Suffolk Law Services committee offers free legal services to low-income seniors. The committee has extensive experience handling legal matters common to older adults, and it prioritizes those who receive assistance from public benefit programs such as Medicaid.