Essex is a small unincorporated community just 19 minutes from downtown Baltimore. The city has a population of just over 40,500, with 15% ages 65 and older. With a low cost of living and tax breaks for retirees, the city is an option for seniors looking for an affordable place for assisted living. There are also four distinctive seasons for seniors who enjoy the outdoors.

Assisted living communities provide housing for seniors who need customized levels of medical and personal care. These types of adult living facilities have different types of living spaces, including apartments, individual rooms, homes and shared living quarters. This home-like atmosphere encourages seniors to remain independent for as long as possible. Assisted living communities in Essex cost an average of $5,000 per month, which is comparable to the state average but is slightly more than the national average.

This guide describes assisted living in Essex and provides an overview of the costs of assisted living throughout the state. The guide also covers the other types of care available and a list of free and low-cost resources to seniors in the area.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Essex, MD

Gloria Friends Home

929 Back River Neck Road, Essex, MD, 21221

Everything is fine.
Everything is fine.

2014

Morningside House of Satyr Hill

8800 Old Harford Road, Parkville, MD, 21234

We did both a virtual and an in-person tour of Morningside House of Satyr Hill. My mom and I were both much more impressed with that one than the other facility we looked at. She likes to sit outside, … (read more)

Charter Senior Living of Towson

6451 N. Charles St, Baltimore, MD, 21212

We chose it for my sister. We liked the people there, the atmosphere, the pricing, and we worked with them to make it affordable. It was just the actual place and the people more than anything else th … (read more)

Lighthouse Senior Living at Hopkins Creek

1813 Old Eastern Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21221

I liked Lighthouse Senior Living at Hopkins Creek, I thought it was very nice and pleasant. The marketing director gave me a wonderful tour. It seemed a lot bigger to me than it looked from the outsid … (read more)

God’s Way Only Assisted Living

511 Walker Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21212

Chemell and her staff have provided quality, professional care to my Uncle who suffers from multiple major health challenges. Chemell runs her facility with professionalism, empathy, compassion and at … (read more)

College Manor

300 W Seminary Ave, Lutherville Timonium, MD, 21093

The tour experience at College Manor was good. The staff was very good. We saw people playing games, bingo, and all kinds of stuff. The rooms were nice and clean. It was an older community.

Angel Core Home Of Care

4719 Elison Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21206

We went to tour Angel Core Home of Care. We really liked that one. The staff was excellent. The place was nice, but they had stairs. After visiting, we chose the one that didn’t have stairs just for s … (read more)

Woodlands Assisted Living

1320 Windlass Drive, Baltimore, MD, 21220

Woodlands Assisted Living is located near State Route 700 in a charming residential area just northwest of Baltimore, MD. Visitors and family members give the facility positive reviews for its clean e … (read more)

Symphony Manor at Roland Park

4301 Roland Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21210

My brother-in-law was at Symphony Manor for almost 2 years. EVERYDAY he got extraordinary care at every level. This is a place where staff took the time to get to know him (He had had a stroke), found … (read more)

The Cottages of Perry Hall

9900 Walther Boulevard, Baltimore, MD, 21234

I like The Cottages of Perry Hall. I like the fact that it was more of a family setting. I didn’t meet everyone, but from what I saw, the staff members seemed nice. They said they had an activity coor … (read more)

Kind Heart Assisted Living

2519 Keyworth Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21215

Kind Heart Assisted Living was very pleasant. It’s a nice location, it’s clean, and very satisfactory as an assisted living place. The owner works full time as a nurse, and he’s started this up on his … (read more)

KP Assisted Living

3811 White Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21206

I visited KP assisted living for my 89 year old mom. I really loved the neighborhood and enjoyed the activity sheet for the residents knowing that my mom would have lots of activities to occupy her… … (read more)

Community Caregivers Assisted Living

3900 Norfolk Ave, Baltimore, MD, 21216

I toured Community Caregivers Assisted Living. Marché was very knowledgeable in what she was telling me. They were very clean, the rooms were very clean, and just upon entering the home, it was clean … (read more)

Optimum Care Homes LLC

1906 Cecil Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21218

My mother has stayed there now for almost a year. Clean environment. Friendly staff. Happy we were able to get her in this place.

Up & About Care

2902 Lyndhurst Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21216

Up & About Care was really clean. The backyard was pretty big, so if they want to do activities there is plenty of space. The only downfall I didn’t like was how far off it was. If a person got on … (read more)

Locust Lodge Assisted Living

184 Meadow Road, Pasadena, MD, 21122

My mom will be moving into Locust Lodge II. I like the price because she’s having an OK income, but it just doesn’t qualify for that high end stuff. Everything seems to be starting at $6,000 a month, … (read more)

Serenity Garden Manor

2311 Roslyn Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21216

My tour at Serenity Garden Manor was very nice. Gail was very knowledgeable, very helpful, and she knew a lot about what she was talking about. She kind of answered the questions that I had before I h … (read more)

Inspirations Memory Care of Lutherville

1414 & 1420 Front Ave, Lutherville, MD, 21093

Shining Moon Elder Care Alf

1310 Dulaney Valley Road, Towson, MD, 21286

Ebenezer House LLC

5008 Walther Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21214

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Essex

Assisted living in Maryland is regulated by the Office of Health Care Quality, which is a division of the Maryland Department of Health. These regulations cover everything from the levels of care to staffing.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Essex

• Essex is an affordable city in Maryland with a cost of living that is lower than the national average and the state average. Seniors can expect to pay less than the national average for groceries and healthcare.
  • Summers in Essex are hot with July highs around 89 degrees, but with 210 sunny days per year, Essex provides plenty of opportunities for exploring the outdoors. The city gets around 15 inches of snow each year, which is ideal for seniors who appreciate colder temperatures as well.
  • Seniors living in Essex can keep more of their money in comparison to other states because Maryland is moderately tax-friendly towards retirees. The state doesn’t tax social security income and withdrawals from retirement accounts are only partially taxed. Public pension is also only partially taxed.
  • Seniors who need transportation services in Essex can use Connect-A-Ride (CAR) for medical appointments, errands and other outings. The service links seniors with public, private and volunteer services. It is funded by the Montgomery County Government and is available Monday through Friday.
  • For illness and injury, there are several hospitals in the Essex area. These facilities include MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center and the Baltimore Medical System

Paying for Assisted Living in Essex

At $5,000 per month, assisted living in Essex is the same as the state average. It’s $700 more than the national average of $4,300.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

According to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, the average monthly cost of assisted living in Cumberland is $4,665 per month and in Hagerstown, seniors pay around $4,500, $500 less than Essex. Salisbury is one of the more expensive cities for assisted living at $5,500 per month — $500 more than Essex.

Essex

Hagerstown

$5500

Salisbury

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Assisted living is just one type of long-term care option for seniors in Essex. Adult day health is the least expensive option, at $1,896, for seniors who need supervision during the day. Homemaker services at $4,671 and home health care at $4,957 are ideal for those who prefer to age in place. A nursing home is the most expensive option for those who need round-the-clock care. A semiprivate room costs around $11,984 per month and a private room costs around $12,805.

$4671

Homemaker Services

$4957

Home Health Aide

$1896

Adult Day Health Care

Assisted Living Facility

$11984

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Essex was not available, so data for the closest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Essex

Seniors in Maryland who are eligible for Social Security payments, or would be except for their income, may be able to access financial assistance through the Optional State Supplement (OSS). Residents of small assisted living facilities may also be able to get help from the state’s Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Essex

Essex has many different resources to offer seniors in the area. These services range from low-cost help to free resources and benefits that focus on health and well-being.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Essex Senior Center serves seniors in Baltimore County. It provides a safe and secure environment for recreational activities like games and parties and fitness and health activities, including exercise classes. The center offers arts and crafts, social groups, dances and scheduled outings.

MAP helps seniors get information, referrals and options counseling for services and benefits. The group also provides brochures and booklets on a variety of topics involving aging, guest speakers for community organizations, information and assistance for loved ones and helps seniors obtain loans for medical equipment. It can also help low-income individuals obtain financial benefits to pay for care.

The Baltimore County Department of Aging serves as the Area Agency on Aging. It provides program information and services for older adults and their caregivers. Through the Department of Aging, seniors have access to available services, including mobility assistance programs, meal plans, help with housing, individual counseling, respite care and supplemental services.

Maryland Legal Aid helps seniors by offering free limited legal services by phone and in person. Help involves topics like debt collection, elder abuse, landlord/tenant information and other civil matters.

The Baltimore Department of Veterans Affairs helps prior military obtain and identify available services and benefits. Once benefit, the aid and attendance benefit helps veterans pay for home and community-based services in long-term care. The agency can also assist with housing, medical care and counseling.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Essex

Essex-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maryland