119 Assisted Living Facilities near Essex, MD
There are 119 Assisted Living Facilities in the Essex area, with 1 in Essex and 118 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 198 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Essex. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Essex 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Essex, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Essex, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Essex
Essex is a community in Baltimore County, close to the City of Baltimore. In the 2010 Census it was home to almost 40,000 people, and almost 15 percent of the population is aged over 65. There's one assisted living facility in Essex and a further 59 in nearby communities. These are licensed and monitored by the Maryland Department of Health, Assisted Living Unit.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Essex
Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) provides public transport in the Essex area. Seniors who are unable to use the fixed-route service may be eligible to use MobilityLink, a door-to-door service run by MTA.
- Essex has an overall crime rate of 44 per 1,000 residents, which is higher than 94 percent of Maryland's other towns and cities. The violent crime rate is 8.21, almost four points higher than Maryland's state average of 4.72. Property crime is similarly high, with a rate of 35.48, compared to the state rate of 22.48, which may bother seniors who are concerned with their safety.
- The cost of living in Maryland is rated 109 in Sperling's index, 9 percent higher than the national average. The cost of transportation has the largest impact on this number. Day-to-day costs like groceries and health care are slightly lower than the U.S. average, which means seniors can save money for retirement living.
- The Baltimore area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Social Security income is exempt from income tax in Maryland, but income from private pensions is fully taxed. Retirement funds and public pensions are subject to income tax, but residents aged 65 and over can claim a deduction. The state also has an estate tax and an inheritance tax, which may impact any legacy seniors wish to leave for their loved ones.
- Air quality in Baltimore County, including Essex, is mixed. The county received an A grade for particle pollution in the State of the Air Report 2018. However, ozone pollution is high, receiving a failing grade, which may have health implications for seniors with respiratory problems.
Paying for Assisted Living in Essex
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Essex start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Essex and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Essex
Seniors in Maryland who are eligible for Social Security payments, or would be except for their income, may be able to access financial assistance through the Optional State Supplement (OSS). Residents of small assisted living facilities may also be able to get help from the state's Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Essex
Essex and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Essex, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Essex
Essex-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Essex
Review of Gloria Friends Home
Everything is fine. Read more