63 Assisted Living Facilities near Joppa, MD
There are 63 Assisted Living Facilities in the Joppa area, with 2 in Joppa and 61 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 201 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Joppa. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Joppa 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Edgewood with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Joppa, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Joppa, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Joppa
The former colonial town of Joppa served as a major fishing port in the early 18th century. Today, this city is home to nearly 13,000 residents, about 15% of whom are aged 65 and older. To support the local senior population, Joppa is home to two assisted living facilities, and there are over 50 more in the surrounding cities.
In Joppa, and throughout the state, assisted living facilities may also be referred to as assisted living programs. The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene licenses three types of assisted living programs, which are categorized based on the level of care they provide.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Joppa
- Joppa seniors do not pay state income tax on Social Security benefits, and income from government pensions and withdrawals from retirement savings accounts are only partially taxed. Private pensions are fully taxable. This may affect how much money can be put toward local assisted living services.
- Overall, Joppa's air quality is subpar, which may be a concern for seniors with respiratory illnesses or cardiovascular disease. The American Lung Association gives Harford County, where Joppa is located, an F for ozone pollution but a B for short-term particle pollution and a passing score for annual particle pollution.
- The Joppa area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Bel Air.
- While the cost of living in Joppa is about 15% higher than the national average, it is a fairly affordable place to live compared to Maryland as a whole. Overall living costs come in about 10% below the state average, which may make it a good option for seniors with tight retirement budgets.
- Over the course of a year, temperatures in Joppa range between 26 degrees and 85 degrees. To ensure year-round comfort, seniors may want to seek out an assisted living facility that provides individual climate control in private rooms.
- Safety in Joppa is rated 43 out of 100, meaning that the city's crime rate is lower than 43% of U.S. cities of all sizes, and its crime rate is lower than 48% of Maryland communities of all sizes. However, its crime rate is relatively low compared to similarly sized communities across the country, which may provide peace of mind for seniors relocating to the area.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Joppa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Joppa start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Joppa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Joppa
Seniors residing in Level II and Level III facilities may be eligible to have services covered under the Medicaid 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Options waiver program. Additionally, Maryland's Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program may also pay for some services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Joppa
Joppa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Joppa, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Joppa
Joppa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Joppa
Review of Young At Heart I
We saw Young at Heart. It was very nice. It's all one level, like all their rooms are on one level, but where my father would be is under construction, so that's why we didn't choose that one. The ... Read more
Review of Young At Heart I
Went there for a tour, had a scheduled apt and it was BAD! Noone would answer the door and finally a little elderly sweet lady unlocked and opened the door. We went in and there were no workers... Read more
Review of Young At Heart I
The staff was warm, professional, and informative. Unfortunately my Mother was there at the height of covid 19. Pat the administrator gave my Mother personal attention care and treatment. It kept m... Read more