35 Assisted Living Facilities near Edgewood, MD
There are 35 Assisted Living Facilities in the Edgewood area, with 2 in Edgewood and 33 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Edgewood is $2,800 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 131 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Edgewood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Edgewood 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Bel Air with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Edgewood, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Edgewood, MD
33 Assisted Living Facilities near Edgewood, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Edgewood
Edgewood is an unincorporated community in the southern region of Harford County that was originally inhabited by the Susquehannock tribes. Seniors, 10% of Edgewood's community of 26,000 residents, can spend time exploring the city's history that stretches back hundreds of years, perhaps with friends from their assisted living home.
Assisted living facilities in Edgewood, as in all of Maryland, are divided into three categories, depending on the level of care they provide. All types of facilities are licensed by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Edgewood is home to two assisted living facilities, and there are 33 more nearby.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Edgewood
- Edgewood's ozone pollution levels are high, but the area's particle pollution levels are decent, which may be a consideration for seniors who have respiratory or cardiovascular conditions. The American Lung Association gives Harford County, where Edgewood is located, an F for ozone pollution and a B for short-term particle pollution.
- The Edgewood area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lifebridge Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transportation in Edgewood is provided by Harford Transit LINK, which operates several routes throughout the region. Older adults age 60 and over are eligible to ride for a reduced fare.
- Edgewood seniors do not pay state income tax on Social Security benefits. While withdrawals from retirement savings accounts and disbursements from public pensions are taxed, taxpayers age 65 and older can claim a deduction against this income. Income from private pensions is fully taxed.
- While the overall cost of living in Edgewood is about 2% higher than the U.S. average, it is about 20% lower than the statewide average, which may make it a good option for seniors with restrictive retirement budgets. Transportation costs in this city are about 25% higher than the national average, but healthcare expenses are about 3% lower here than in the nation as a whole.
- Edgewood is safer than just 26% of U.S. cities of all sizes, but when the city's crime rate is compared only to similarly sized cities across the nation, it is near the average. This may provide peace of mind for seniors considering assisted living in this city.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Edgewood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Edgewood start around $2,800 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Edgewood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Edgewood
In Edgewood, the Medicaid 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Options waiver program covers services in Level II and Level III facilities. Additionally, Maryland provides a Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program, which may also cover services for eligible seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Edgewood
Edgewood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Edgewood, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Edgewood
Edgewood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Edgewood
Review of Smith's Care For The Elderly
My grandfather was a resident of Smiths Care For The Elderly. He passed away a couple months ago. During his time their, our family went through tough times. It was tough for us to remove him from... Read more