Located on the Chesapeake Bay, Bel Air is a charming small town considered part of the greater Baltimore area. It has a population of 10,119 people, of whom a high percentage are seniors, at 20.6%. Residents of Bel Air can take advantage of affordable sales taxes and low health care costs. In addition to a wide variety of entertainment and enrichment options, the city also has several award-winning health care providers.

Bel Air also has a wide variety of assisted living facilities for seniors who need a little help with their daily lives. Staff at these facilities take care of maintenance, housekeeping and meal preparation. In addition, residents can get help with hygiene and personal care. It costs around $5,000 per month for assisted living in Bel Air, which is higher than the national average.

This guide discusses the cost of assisted living in Bel Air and the rest of Maryland. It also lists some of the area’s free senior resources.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Bel Air, MD

Commonwealth Senior Living at Bel Air

1415 St. Francis Road, Bel Air, MD, 21014

Commonwealth Senior Living at Bel Air was nice. It’s very clean, well-kept, and nicely decorated. The staff was very friendly and it seemed like the residents were taken care of very well. It’s a beau … (read more)

Lorien Bel Air

1909 Emmorton Road, Bel Air, MD, 21015

My parents are planning to move into Lorien Bel Air. It has a lot of community space, so that they can spread out. We saw empty rooms, and they seemed spacious and like they would be nice. They had ni … (read more)

Brightview Avondell

128 West Ring Factory Rd., Bel Air, MD, 21014

Jacob’s Well Assisted Living

522 Thomas Run Road, Bel Air, MD, 21015

I think Jacob’s Well Assisted Living is wonderful. It’s beautifully landscaped. It’s got a lovely porch that the residents can sit out on and look at the pond with the ducks. All the rooms are very we … (read more)

Brightview of Bel Air

300 West Ring Factory Road, Bel Air, MD, 21014

We went to Brightview of Bel Air, and we had a nice tour. It was a small and nice community with a nice feel to it. There’s not as much community space as the other place we looked at. The only staff … (read more)

Bel Air Assisted Living

144 N Hickory Ave, Bel Air, MD, 21014

We placed my grandmother in this facility, believing she would be safe and well cared for by a skilled, honest and compassionate staff. We were mistaken. Realizing our error, we began the process of m … (read more)

2022

Forest Hills Heights Located in Bel Air North

1 Colgate Road, Forest Hill, MD, 21050

My mother moved to Forest Hills Heights Located in Bel Air North. We chose this place because they had a lot of activity and they were very nice. You could say that the people were active there, the s … (read more)

The Cottages of Perry Hall

9900 Walther Boulevard, Baltimore, MD, 21234

I like The Cottages of Perry Hall. I like the fact that it was more of a family setting. I didn’t meet everyone, but from what I saw, the staff members seemed nice. They said they had an activity coor … (read more)

Dulaney Valley Assisted Living at Baldwin

5001 Carroll Manor Road, Baldwin, MD, 21093

We toured Dulaney Valley Assisted Living at Baldwin. They were very good. They had the stairs, and they had the lift chairs. My father likes to wander on his own, so that’s why we were looking for a p … (read more)

Hart Heritage Estate

1915 Rock Spring Road, Forest Hill, MD, 21050

This is not a family oriented facility. Family members are not permitted in the resident rooms. Covid restrictions have been lifted but they still will not allow visitors to enter the rooms of thei … (read more)

Glen Meadows Retirement Community

11630 Glen Arm Road, Glen Arm, MD, 21057

I toured Glen Meadows Retirement Community. It was very, very nice. It was gorgeous inside, and they made the rooms look like new before each resident moved in. At that time, you actually had to purch … (read more)

Brightview Perry Hall

9657 Bel Air Road, Nottingham, MD, 21236

Brightview Perry Hall was pleasant. It’s a very nice facility, but it’s pricier than the other two places I visited. They had activities when I was going through the tour. They also have another facil … (read more)

Hart Heritage

3708 Grier Nursery Rd, Street, MD, 21154

My dear hard workers, Your kindness really mad a difference, your thoughtfulness really touched my heart, the gratitude I feel really can’t be put into words. Thank you for all that you did to make … (read more)

Hummingbird Manor Assisted Living Inn

452 W. Bel Air Avenue, Aberdeen, MD, 21015

My aunt was a resident at Hummingbird for 3 years. She was happy and well taken care of. The staff provided phenominal care to her and the other residents. My aunt was able to maintain her dignity … (read more)

Joyous Living

11130 Philadelphia Road, White Marsh, MD, 21162

Joyous Living was an excellent place. The owner built it so she would have a place for her parents to go to. They were very friendly, and they know all their residents by name. Everything was clean, t … (read more)

Ma Maison Senior Assisted Living Facility

9404 Belair Rd, Nottingham, MD, 21236

My grandmother is a resident of this facility. She had been at a large impersonal facility, but due to a variety of reasons, it did not work out. . Ma Maison is an unassuming place. The staff is … (read more)

madonna heritage

3982 Norrisville Road, Jarrettsville, MD, 21084

Diet of residents is questionable at times. Meals range from healthy to junk food. Rooms are small but quaint and well furnished. For the most part caretakers are kind and helpful. However, I have … (read more)

Smith’s Care For The Elderly

1205 Hanson Road, Edgewood, MD, 21040

My grandfather was a resident of Smiths Care For The Elderly. He passed away a couple months ago. During his time their, our family went through tough times. It was tough for us to remove him from hi … (read more)

Young At Heart I

1520 Philadelphia Road, Joppa, MD, 21085

We saw Young at Heart. It was very nice. It’s all one level, like all their rooms are on one level, but where my father would be is under construction, so that’s why we didn’t choose that one. The sta … (read more)

Angels Among Us

12820 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21220

My grandmother was placed and Angels among us assisted living three years ago Angels Among Us is a great place to place your loved one. Always something cooking. It always smells good. They do everyth … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bel Air

In Bel Air and the rest of the state, assisted living communities are governed by the Maryland Department of Health’s Assisted Living Unit. This unit ensures that the residents of long-term care communities are treated with respect by their caregivers. It conducts regular inspections of facilities and verifies that staff licenses are up-to-date.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bel Air

• Bel Air gets lots of sun, with 213 sunny days per year compared to the U.S. average of 205. It also gets mild winters with below-average snowfall levels, making it ideal for seniors trying to avoid extreme weather.
  • The city was named the best place to retire in the whole state by SmartAsset due to its easy access to health care and leisure. It has a lively arts and entertainment district as well as a range of outdoor green spaces.
  • The overall cost of living in Bel Air is 13 points above the national benchmark of 100. However, health care costs are 10.7 points lower than average.
  • The sales tax rate in Bel Air is lower than the U.S. average. The state also offers a few tax exemptions for retirees.
  • There are fewer physicians per capita here than the national average, at 139 per 100,000 compared to 205 per 100,000. However, high-quality medical care is easy to find. The local University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Medical Center is rated high-performing in two specialties.

Paying for Assisted Living in Bel Air

In Bel Air, seniors pay around $5,000 per month for assisted living. According to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, this is on par with the state average of $5,000. Assisted living in Bel Air is more expensive than the national average price of $4,300 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Assisted living prices in Bel Air fall right on the state median at $5,000. Bayside city California is much more expensive, at $6,200. In Salisbury, seniors pay $5,500. The same type of care costs $4,665 in Cumberland. Averaging $4,500 per month, Hagerstown has the lowest assisted living prices in the state.

Bel Air

Salisbury

$6200

California

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors looking to save money might also like to consider other types of long-term care other than assisted living. The cheapest option is adult day health care, which averages $1,896. Homemaker services cost $4,671 per month, and home health aides cost around $4,957. Nursing homes provide high levels of care at a high cost. A semiprivate room averages $11,984, and a private room averages $12,805.

$4671

Homemaker Services

$4957

Home Health Aide

$1896

Adult Day Health Care

Assisted Living Facility

$11984

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$12805

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Data for Bel Air was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Baltimore, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bel Air

Seniors in the Maryland area may be eligible for assistance with funding from the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bel Air

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Bel Air

Seniors living in Bel Air can use the following community services and assistance programs to help them plan their long-term care.

ResourceContact Service
Harford County Office on Aging(410) 638-3025As the local Area Agency on Aging, this organization supports seniors with case management and health insurance counseling programs. In addition, this agency offers education on a range of topics, from fraud and scams to health and physical fitness. Finally, this body’s Long-Term Care Ombudsman helps residents of assisted living communities resolve concerns about their care.
Dundalk Vet Center(410) 282-6144This veteran center serves as a central access point for federal veterans’ benefits such as financial aid for housing and medical care. Here, veterans can also get referrals to physicians and specialists through the VA health system. In addition, individual and group mental health services are available.
Harford County Senior Activity Centers(410) 638-3032These free senior centers provide enrichment and social activities to aging adults across the county. They offer low-impact fitness classes, sports and special interest groups. Seniors can take part in arts and crafts as well as educational opportunities, including computer courses and healthy living classes.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bel Air

Bel Air-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bel Air