30 Assisted Living Facilities near Bel Air, MD
There are 30 Assisted Living Facilities in the Bel Air area, with 6 in Bel Air and 24 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Bel Air is $5,134 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Edgewood with an average starting cost of $2,800.
To help you with your search, browse the 97 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bel Air. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bel Air 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Joppa with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in Bel Air find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bel Air, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Bel Air, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bel Air
Many residents consider Bel Air “the heart of Harford County,” which they officially deem the “new center of opportunity.” Seniors can enjoy Bel Air’s historic preservation, arts and culture. Americans voted Bel Air the seventh best city for a healthy retirement. The town has six assisted living facilities for seniors to choose from, and 39 other communities nearby. Each facility provides care and remains safe due to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene regulations.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bel Air
- In Maryland, unlike places such as California, there are four definite seasons. It rains, snows or has other precipitation 22 percent, or 81 days, of the year. During the winter months, Bel Air receives 22 inches of snow annually.
- The American Lung Association gives Bel Air an “F” rating because the town has many high ozone days. Compared to Washington, D.C. or Baltimore, 39 percent of its population, mainly those age 65 and over, have a reduced risk of experiencing complications due to Bel Air's quality of air.
- The cost of living index is significantly higher in Bel Air (126) and all of Marlyland (125) than the national index (100). Low-income seniors may not be able to save money here.
- The crime rates of both violent and property crime in Bel Air is higher than national rates. Seniors are advised to take safety precautions when traveling out of their assisted living communities.
- Bel Air has a walk score of 73, so active seniors can get around the city with ease for errands and fun. In Bel Air, seniors can shop along the Potomac River boardwalk, have a flavorful dining experience with celebrity chefs, take a leisure walk in Heavenly Waters Park or visit the Hays House Museum.
- The Bel Air area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Medical Center and Harford Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bel Air
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Bel Air start around $5,134 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bel Air and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bel Air
Many seniors in Bel Air and all of Maryland receive help to pay for care with Medicaid’s Home and Community Based Waiver if they meet the eligibility criteria. Also, for those who qualify, another source of financial support is available in Bel Air for long-term care with the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bel Air
Bel Air and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bel Air, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bel Air
Bel Air-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Bel Air, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bel Air
Review of Jacob's Well Assisted Living
My mom is at Jacob's Well Assisted Living. It is much more a home-like environment. It is only two stories and out in the country with beautiful surroundings. There's a pond and trees. It is small ... Read more
Review of Commonwealth Senior Living at Bel Air
My mother moved into Commonwealth Senior Living at Bel Air last month. Our experience is great, but she hates it. It's very nice, and the staff there is very nice. Her room is a little small for he... Read more
Review of Bel Air Assisted Living
We placed my grandmother in this facility, believing she would be safe and well cared for by a skilled, honest and compassionate staff. We were mistaken. Realizing our error, we began the process o... Read more