3 Assisted Living Facilities in Ames, IA
Also serving communities of Nevada, Madrid.
The average cost of assisted living in Ames is $3,589 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 13 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Ames. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Ames 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Story City with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in Ames find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Ames, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Ames, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Ames
The Ames region, home to Iowa State University, has a population of 27,546. It offers 10 assisted living facilities, with three located within the city and an additional seven situated nearby. In Iowa, assisted living is broken down into two categories: assisted living programs and residential care facilities. Assisted living programs provide housing for three or more seniors who are able to self-direct and participate in making decisions regarding their care. Residential care programs are for seniors who need assistance with the activities of daily living. All assisted living facilities are licensed through the Department of Inspections and Appeals, Health Facilities Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Ames
- Ames ranks low on Sperling’s Comfort Index, rating 33 out of 100 for the number of days per year outside of a comfortable temperature range. The July high in this city is 84 degrees, and the January low is 11 degrees. This may be a consideration for seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors.
- Ames seniors don't have their Social Security income taxed, and there's a deduction for other types of retirement income. This may leave more money in the assisted living budget.
- The overall cost of living in Ames is slightly below the national average. Seniors can expect to spend about 5 percent less on groceries and 3 percent less on miscellaneous expenses, though health care and transportation may cost somewhat more than they would elsewhere.
- The overall crime rate of Ames is 70 percent lower than the national average, and the city is among the top 20 percent of safest cities in the United States.
- Ames city bus service is provided courtesy of CyRide, which operates nearly two dozen routes throughout the city. Seniors age 65 and over are eligible to receive a discounted fare.
- The Ames area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mary Greeley Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Ames
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Ames start around $3,047 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Ames and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ames
Services in both assisted living and residential care facilities in Ames may be covered through the Medicaid 1915 (c) Elderly Waiver program. Additionally, Iowa provides an optional state supplement for qualifying seniors who live in residential care facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Ames
Ames and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Ames, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ames
Ames-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Ames, IA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Ames
Review of Bickford of Ames
I was very impressed with Bickford of Ames. The rooms are small compared to what my mom has now, but their goal is you don't spend a lot of time in your apartment. They have activities for the resi... Read more
Review of The Rose of Ames
I visited The Rose of Ames. They're a good facility, just not quite what I was looking for. The staff was friendly. The place was big enough for him, but the level of care was not what he's gonna n... Read more
Review of Accura Healthcare
The food was horrible. The room was small, not even a TV. They didn’t give my mother her nighttime meds. We had to check her out AMA after one day because she was in tears all day. Don’t do it! Read more