24 Assisted Living Facilities near Johnston, IA
Also serving communities of Perry.
There are 24 Assisted Living Facilities in the Johnston area, with 3 in Johnston and 21 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Johnston is $4,056 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Urbandale with an average starting cost of $3,498.
To help you with your search, browse the 131 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Johnston. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Johnston 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Clive with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Johnston, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Johnston, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Johnston
Johnston is a thriving suburb of Iowa's capital city, Des Moines, and was once ranked number 25 on Business Insider's list of The 50 Best Suburbs in America. The city is home to about 21,500 people, and nearly 12 percent are 65 or older.
Senior residents in the area can receive assisted living services from two facilities in Johnston or from 22 additional facilities in nearby cities, including Ankeny and Clive. These residential communities for the elderly provide consumer-directed attendant care (CDAC) and are regulated by Iowa's Health Facilities Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Johnston
- The climate in Johnston ranks a low 36 out of 100 on Sperling's Comfort Index due to harsh winters, with an average low temperature of 12 degrees Fahrenheit and annual snowfall totals around 35 inches. However, seniors here can find agreeable weather for outdoor activities in the warmer months. The average high in July is 85 degrees.
- The overall cost of living in Johnston is 19 percent higher than the state average. Local housing prices are nearly double the typical cost for Iowa. Seniors may actually save money, though, depending on their primary expenses, as health care and grocery costs are about 7 percent lower in Johnston.
- Public transportation is available through the Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority (DART). Adults 65 and older pay half fare, and veterans ride free with proper ID.
- Seniors may find comfort in knowing the crime rate in Johnston is lower than usual for a town of its size. The local rate of violent crime is 1 in 812, which is notably lower than the state average of 1 in 344. The rate of property crime is 1 in 93, while the state rate is 1 in 48.
- Located just 20 minutes from Des Moines, the greater Johnston area offers a nice variety of opportunities for arts and culture, including the 4.4-acre Pappajohn Sculpture Park, the Des Moines Art Center, the Living History Farms in Urbandale and the Iowa Gold Star Military Museum.
- Johnston has an array of community resources for seniors, including medical screening programs, countywide games and activities and regularly scheduled times for senior-centered crafts, exercise and sports at the Crown Point Community Center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Johnston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Johnston start around $4,056 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Johnston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Johnston
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Johnston
Johnston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Johnston, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Johnston
Johnston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Johnston
Review of Edencrest at Green Meadows
My father stayed at Edencrest at Green Meadows. The staff was friendly and nice. His one-bedroom was nice and they put new carpet in. They had movie nights, there was a variety of things he could'v... Read more
Review of McCauley Terrace
The staff at McAuley Terrace is perfect, very friendly, very open, and very helpful. The condition of the rooms is great. My mother-in-law is in a studio, which seems to meet all her needs. It's ve... Read more
Review of Bishop Drumm Retirement Center
We visited Martina Place. We thought it was very inviting. The residents appeared very happy. Some of them were sitting in the entry way in the large living room. The staff was very friendly and ve... Read more