28 Assisted Living Facilities near West Des Moines, IA
There are 28 Assisted Living Facilities in the West Des Moines area, with 5 in West Des Moines and 23 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in West Des Moines is $3,849 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Urbandale with an average starting cost of $3,498.
To help you with your search, browse the 135 reviews below for assisted living facilities in West Des Moines. On average, consumers rate assisted living in West Des Moines 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in West Des Moines, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in West Des Moines, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in West Des Moines
West Des Moines, which is the second-largest city in the Des Moines metropolitan area, has numerous assisted living options for seniors. The region is home to 27 assisted living facilities, four of which are located in the city proper and 23 of which are located in nearby cities. The Department of Inspections and Appeals, Health Facilities Division, which licenses and monitors assisted living facilities in West Des Moines, splits facilities into two categories, depending on the level of care they provide. Assisted living programs are for three or more seniors who can care for themselves and participate in making decisions regarding their care, and residential care programs are for seniors who need more supervision and assistance with daily living activities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in West Des Moines
- West Des Moines ranks low on Sperling’s Comfort Index, rating 38 out of 100, compared to the national average of 54. The July high in this city is 85 degrees Fahrenheit, and the January low is 13 degrees. These extreme temperatures may be unpleasant for seniors who enjoy being outdoors.
- The air quality in West Des Moines is good overall, making the city an attractive option for seniors with respiratory illnesses. According to the American Lung Association, the city tied for first place for cleanest metropolitan areas in the country for ozone pollution, and it ranked 83 out of 201 metropolitan areas for 24-hour particle pollution.
- West Des Moines is an affordable city for seniors, coming in nearly 5 percent under the overall national average. Seniors can expect to pay about 7 percent less on groceries, 13 percent less on health care, 4 percent less on transportation and 10 percent less on miscellaneous expenses than they would in other U.S. cities.
- The overall crime rate in West Des Moines is 7 percent higher than the Iowa average and 11 percent lower than the national average. The rate of violent crime is 22 percent lower than the national average and 41 percent lower than the U.S. average, and the property crime rate is 11 percent higher than the state median and 6 percent lower than the country’s average. This may provide peace of mind for older adults and their loved ones.
- The city’s public transportation system is provided courtesy of the Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority, or DART. Seniors age 65 and over are eligible to receive reduced fare. To apply for this program, seniors simply need to provide a photo I.D. with their date of birth such as a driver’s license or state identification card.
- The West Des Moines area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Methodist West Hospital and Mercy Medical Center – West Lakes, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in West Des Moines
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in West Des Moines start around $3,849 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in West Des Moines and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in West Des Moines
West Des Moines seniors who meet income guidelines may apply to receive financial assistance through the Medicaid 1915 (c) Elderly Waiver program, and those who live in a residential care facility and qualify for Supplemental Security Income may also receive the optional state supplement to help cover their living expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in West Des Moines
West Des Moines and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in West Des Moines, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in West Des Moines
West Des Moines-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in West Des Moines, IA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in West Des Moines
Review of Heritage Court
My mother moved into Heritage Court. They've been very nice to her, they've been very attentive to her blood pressure, and they have lots of activities. They have 3 different church services, scrip... Read more
Review of Bickford of West Des Moines
The person who took us around Bickford of West Des Moines was very nice and considerate to us. It was very nice, very neat, and would fit my wife's lifestyle very well in that she is a low-key, ver... Read more
Review of MorningStar Assisted Living & Memory Care at Jordan Creek
My mom has chosen MorningStar. It is the one she feels most comfortable in. It is bright, shiny, and new. She likes it. They have a theater room for movies. They also do sitting exercises and have ... Read more