22 Assisted Living Facilities near Des Moines, IA
Also serving communities of Pleasant Hill, Altoona, Altoona.
There are 22 Assisted Living Facilities in the Des Moines area, with 13 in Des Moines and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Des Moines is $3,679 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include West Des Moines with an average starting cost of $3,498.
To help you with your search, browse the 85 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Des Moines. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Des Moines 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include West Des Moines with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 11 families in Des Moines find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Des Moines, call (855) 863-8283.
13 Assisted Living Facilities in Des Moines, IA
9 Assisted Living Facilities near Des Moines, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Des Moines
Seniors in Des Moines, Iowa, will find plenty of attractions in the city from car and horse racing to walking tours. When days trips are over, seniors will return to one of the 20 assisted living facilities in the Des Moines area, with 13 in the Des Moines city limits and 7 located in the nearby areas of Johnston, Pleasant Hill and Urbandale areas. These facilities are ideal for older adults who need some help with daily tasks like dressing and recreational activities but who do not need nursing home level of care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Des Moines
- With an average annual temperature of 51°F the weather is generally cold all year round in the Des Moines, which isn't the best environment for those who enjoy an outdoor life that is based on warmer climates.
- The air in the Des Moines area has an air quality index (AQI) score of 20, or "good". The air quality in Des Moines is considered to be among the best in the nation.
- There are many things to do in Des Moines that seniors will enjoy. With an impressive range of art centers and exhibits to choose from, there's something to suit all tastes.
- The Des Moines area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Iowa Lutheran Hospital and the Mercy Medical Center Des Moines, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Des Moines, IA is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to the AARP.
- Des Moines, IA, has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Southside Senior Center, an organization that offers a range of activities and hot meals, as well as four other senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Des Moines
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Des Moines start around $3,679 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Des Moines and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Des Moines
Seniors in the Des Moines area can have the cost of their assisted living accommodation subsidized by the Medicaid program. Medicaid waivers are also available for individuals who require long-term care that they are unable to pay for themselves.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Des Moines
Des Moines and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Des Moines, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Des Moines
Des Moines-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Des Moines, IA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Des Moines
Review of Edencrest at Beaverdale
Edencrest was lovely, new, and airy. Their common areas were very nice and large. It was very nice. The food was fine. The rooms were fine, too. There were lots of lights. There was a very positive... Read more
Review of Edencrest at Beaverdale
Edencrest at Beaverdale is wonderful. The staff has been fantastic. It's always clean and well lit. There are lots of activities. There are card groups, exercise groups, excursions, and they're goi... Read more
Review of Prairie Hills Des Moines Retirement Community
I thought Prairie Hills Des Moines had a very homey type atmosphere, and had good activities for the people living there. The rooms were set up nicely, I liked the outdoor walkway they had, the lan... Read more