27 Assisted Living Facilities near Urbandale, IA
There are 27 Assisted Living Facilities in the Urbandale area, with 3 in Urbandale and 24 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Urbandale is $3,498 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,405. Cheaper nearby regions include Ankeny with an average starting cost of $3,213.
To help you with your search, browse the 137 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Urbandale. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Urbandale 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Johnston with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Urbandale, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Urbandale, IA
24 Assisted Living Facilities near Urbandale, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Urbandale
Urbandale is a suburb of Des Moines, the capital of Iowa, and is centrally located in the state. The community is quiet and picturesque, close enough to take advantage of big-city conveniences. The population is 41.500, with 17 percent of seniors over 62. To house these seniors, there are 20 assisted living facilities in Urbandale, with a further in 34 Des Moines. In Urbandale, assisted living communities, as in the rest of the state, are monitored and inspected by the Iowa Department of Health Facilities. Oversight includes specific security requirements, caretaker training and investigation of improper care of residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Urbandale
- Urbandale's cost of living is 101.6, falling in line with the national base of 100. Health care costs and housing are higher than the national average, at 111 and 124, respectively, which might increase assisted living costs for seniors.
- Winters in Urbandale can be cold, with January temperatures averaging 12 degrees and plenty of snow. Those at risk of falls should use caution when venturing outdoors. Summers are warm, with regular rainfall, with July highs averaging 85, supporting outdoor activity much of the year. Tornadoes are a risk in the spring.
- The Urbandale area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Methodist West Hospital and Unity Point Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Urbandale, as part of metro Des Moines, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Crime rates in the U.S. are measured on a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being the safest. Urbandale violent crime rates are just 12.6, compared to the national average of 31.1. Property crimes are 26.7, compared to the average of 38.1. Seniors will enjoy living in a safe community.
- Urbandale is moderately tax friendly for seniors. Social Security benefits are exempt from the Iowa state income tax. Other forms of retirement income are taxed, but seniors are eligible for a deduction of up to $6,000 on that income.
Paying for Assisted Living in Urbandale
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Urbandale start around $3,498 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Urbandale and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Urbandale
Seniors in Urbandale, as in all of Iowa, may apply for a Medicaid Waiver to help offset the cost of assisted living. Seniors may also be eligible for a bridge loan to help offset the cost of transitioning into an assisted living facility. Veterans may also have options for financial aid, as may those on Social Security income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Urbandale
Urbandale and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Urbandale, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Urbandale
Urbandale-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Urbandale, IA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Urbandale
Review of Bickford of Urbandale
Bickford is such a home-like environment that my grandma felt comfortable right away. The staff is so warm and welcoming and the food has been excellent so far. Read more
Review of Deerfield Retirement Community
Deerfield Retirement Community was very nice, clean, and appeared to be very well managed. There were a lot of extra things available, but it's way beyond my price range. The staff who toured me wa... Read more
Review of Deerfield Retirement Community
Horrendous management from the DON, the ADON, to the Sales Director who pretends to be a social worker. So terribly rude, I wouldn't wish anyone get care from their, which is unfortunate since the ... Read more