13 Assisted Living Facilities near Ankeny, IA
Also serving communities of Bondurant.
There are 13 Assisted Living Facilities in the Ankeny area, with 5 in Ankeny and 8 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Ankeny is $3,280 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Ames with an average starting cost of $2,819.
To help you with your search, browse the 62 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Ankeny. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Ankeny 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Story City with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Ankeny, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Ankeny, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Ankeny
The Ankeny region, which is a rapidly growing suburb of Des Moines located in Polk County, has a population of 53,413. It is home to 21 assisted living facilities, with five in Ankeny and 16 facilities nearby. Here, facilities are divided into two categories: assisted living programs, which are for three or more seniors who can care for themselves and participate in making decisions regarding their care; and residential care facilities, which are for seniors who need more supervision and assistance with the activities of daily living. Both types of facilities are licensed through the Department of Inspections and Appeals, Health Facilities Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Ankeny
- Ankeny has an extreme climate with hot summer days and cold winter temperatures, which may be a consideration for seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors. The July high in this city is 85 degrees, and the January low is around 12 degrees.
- The cost of living in Ankeny is 4 percent below the national average, making it a good option for older adults on a tight budget. Seniors can expect to spend about 7 percent less on groceries, 13 percent less on health care, 4 percent less on transportation than they would in other U.S. cities.
- Ankeny has an overall crime rate that is 37 percent lower than the state average and 47 percent lower than the national average. In regard to violent crime, the rate is 26 percent below the state average and 44 percent below the national average. The rate of property crime is 39 percent lower than the state average and 48 percent lower than the U.S. average.
- Ankeny is a senior-friendly city with a variety of amenities and activities for older adults. The city’s Parks and Recreation Department hosts several senior day and overnight trips throughout the year, and the local library hosts book clubs, craft sessions and card games for seniors.
- The Ankeny area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Des Moines.
- Ankeny has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Old Worker Employment Program, an organization that helps seniors find and maintain meaningful employment, as well as two senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Ankeny
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Ankeny start around $3,280 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Ankeny and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ankeny
Qualifying seniors in Ankeny may apply to receive financial assistance through the Medicaid 1915 (c) Elderly Waiver program. Seniors who qualify for Supplemental Security Income may also receive the optional state supplement to help cover the cost of their care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Ankeny
Ankeny and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Ankeny, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ankeny
Ankeny-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Ankeny
Review of Vintage Hills
Vintage Hills offers a clean, comfortable setting. Our parents share a 2-bedroom unit, with plenty of windows for natural light. There are also plenty of shared spaces throughout the facility tha... Read more
Review of Vintage Hills
In the fall of 2019, my dad fell and fractured his back while at home. After 10 days of hospitalization, we realized he needed to move into assisted living. It was a very stressful time for our f... Read more
Review of Journey Senior Living of Ankeny
I really liked Journey Senior Living of Ankeny. The staff member was really friendly, spent a lot of time with me, and thoroughly explained the things that they do. They had studios, one-bedrooms, ... Read more