8 Assisted Living Facilities near Norwalk, IA
Also serving communities of Winterset.
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Norwalk area, with 2 in Norwalk and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Norwalk is $4,240 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include West Des Moines with an average starting cost of $3,849.
To help you with your search, browse the 26 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Norwalk. Better rated regions include West Des Moines with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Norwalk, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Norwalk, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Norwalk
Despite being close to big-city amenities in Iowa's capital, Des Moines, the city of Norwalk is a quiet community where seniors can enjoy many cultural activities. More than 1,300 residents here are aged 65 and over, and they have access to assisted living services at two facilities within the city limits. An additional six facilities are available in the surrounding areas.
Assisted living communities in Norwalk and the rest of Iowa are officially called Assisted Living Programs (ALPs) and Residential Care Facilities (RCFs). Licenses for these locations are provided by the Department of Inspections and Appeals.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Norwalk
- Seniors have a wide variety of arts and culture locations to visit within just a few miles of Norwalk. The State Historical Museum of Iowa features exhibits detailing the history of the state, and the Salisbury House and Gardens hosts concerts and other events in a converted 1920s manor.
- While Norwalk is considered an affordable place to live compared to most of the United States, it has slightly higher costs than other places in Iowa. The cost of living is 9.3 index points above the Iowa average of 89.5, so seniors may find assisted living more affordable in other areas of the state.
- Iowa has some tax policies that are friendly towards and seniors and others that are not quite as friendly. Social Security income is completely exempt from state tax, but income from retirement accounts and pensions is partially taxed. An exclusion of $6,000 may be available for some seniors.
- The air quality in Warren County, where Norwalk is located, is considered very good. Seniors in the community should feel free to go outdoors without worrying about the air. The American Lung Association gives the area an A for ozone pollution.
- Norwalk has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Des Moines.
- Seniors in Norwalk should feel safe in their residences and out on the town. The city has a violent crime rating that's 12.7 points lower than the national average of 22.7, and a property crime rating that's 15.9 points lower than the national average of 35.4.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Norwalk
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Norwalk start around $4,240 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Norwalk and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Norwalk
Seniors in Norwalk who meet certain eligibility requirements may be able to take advantage of Iowa's State Supplementary Assistance (SSA). This is a fully state-funded program that can help pay for Residential Care Facility assistance. The Elderly Waiver can also help to pay for services received in assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Norwalk
Norwalk and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Norwalk, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Norwalk
Norwalk-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.