8 Assisted Living Facilities near Norwalk, IA
Also serving communities of Winterset.
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Norwalk area, with 2 in Norwalk and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Norwalk is $2,995 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Indianola with an average starting cost of $2,940.
To help you with your search, browse the 24 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Norwalk. Better rated regions include West Des Moines with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Norwalk, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Norwalk, IA
6 Assisted Living Facilities near Norwalk, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Norwalk
Norwalk, located in South Central Iowa, is home to bowling alleys, golf courses, many area parks, along with walking and biking trails. The city is also home to 782 seniors, some of whom might be thinking of taking up residence in an assisted living facilities. There are two assisted living facilities in Norwalk to support those seniors, with another six located in the nearby communities of Des Moines and West Des Moines.
The Department of Inspections and Appeals, Health Facilities Division licenses assisted living programs and residential care facilities in Norwalk and in all of Iowa.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Norwalk
- Seniors with respiratory ailments may be more comfortable living in Norwalk than in other areas of the state or the country because of the city’s good air quality. On a 100-point scale where 100 represents the best air quality, Norwalk has a rank of 79, more than 20 points higher than the U.S. average of 100.
- Iowa partially taxes pensions and retirement savings account income which could impact Norwalk seniors who rely on those types of income to fund their facility expenses.
- Norwalk’s cost of living is 98.8, slightly higher than the state average of 89.5, and slightly lower than the U.S. average of 100. Although groceries and transportation expenses in the area are lower than the national average, both healthcare and housing are higher at 113 and 101.7, respectively. Seniors might want to keep in mind that the higher costs for housing and healthcare in the city could drive up facility operating costs and ultimately assisted living expenses.
- The Norwalk area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MercyOne Norwalk Medicine Clinic, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Safety-conscious seniors looking for a safe place to retire might enjoy living in Norwalk. The city has a violent crime rate of 22.7, and a property crime rate of 19.5, both significantly lower than the U.S. averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- Weather in Norwalk means warm summers with July highs of 85 degrees and cold winters with January lows of 12. The city gets 28 inches of snow each year, two more than the national average of 26, which is something seniors with mobility issues may want to keep in mind.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Norwalk
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Norwalk start around $2,995 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Norwalk and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Norwalk
Norwalk seniors who need help paying for their assisted living expenses may qualify for assistance from Iowa’s HCBS Elderly waiver. Qualified applicants must be at least 65 years old, be Medicaid eligible and meet certain financial and asset criteria.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Norwalk
Norwalk and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Norwalk, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Norwalk
Norwalk-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.