3 Assisted Living Facilities in Indianola, IA
Also serving communities of Leon.
The average cost of assisted living in Indianola is $2,940 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Pella with an average starting cost of $2,600.
To help you with your search, browse the 7 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Indianola. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Indianola 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include West Des Moines with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Indianola, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Indianola
Despite being a modest-sized community of just 16,000 people, Indianola has many attractions that are loved by local and visiting seniors. That's why 16.9% of the population here is aged 65 and over. For the seniors in this community who need help with daily tasks, there are three assisted living facilities available.
The assisted living facilities in Indianola, as well as the rest of Iowa, are officially recognized as Assisted Living Programs (ALPs) and Residential Care Facilities (RCFs). The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals provides licenses for these locations.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Indianola
- Seniors looking for assisted living in Indianola will find that costs are about average for the United States. The overall cost of living is just 0.8% below the national average of 100. The cost of living is 9.7 points higher than the average for Iowa.
- The air in Warren County, where Indianola is located, is considered clean and healthy, so many seniors enjoy going outdoors throughout the year. The American Lung Association gives the area an A for ozone pollution.
- Winter in Indianola can be a difficult time of year for seniors who like to go outdoors. The average low temperature in January is just 13 degrees, and the city gets about 30 inches of snow per year. The comfort index rating for Indianola is 6.9 out of 10.
- Indianola has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Des Moines.
- Indianola has cultural activities that seniors can appreciate throughout the year. People from more than 40 states come to Indianola every year to see the Des Moines Metro Opera. The Buxton Park Arboretum has an impressive array of plant life, and the National Balloon Museum celebrates the area's contribution to hot air ballooning.
- Indianola has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Community Aging Services project, an organization that provides energy assistance, emergency food, and weatherization for seniors in need as well as one senior center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Indianola
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Indianola start around $2,940 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Indianola and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Indianola
Residents of Indianola who qualify for social security may be eligible for Residential Care Facility assistance through Iowa's State Supplementary Assistance (SSA) program. There is also an Elderly Waiver that's available through the state's Medicaid system.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Indianola
Indianola and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Indianola, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Indianola
Indianola-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Indianola
Review of Windsor Manor Indianola
My aunt is in Windsor Manor, and she is doing well. They are helpful. It happens to be the only place that met her criteria. She was looking for a short-term place where she could recuperate, give ... Read more
Review of Windsor Manor Indianola
My dad has been in Windsor Manor since June 1st. They are very friendly and accommodating, and they made us feel very welcome right away. It was a smaller facility. He’s got a medium sized, one-bed... Read more
Review of Vintage Hills of Indianola
We found a community for my father. It is called Vintage Hills of Indianola. I just thought it was great. My dad is going to be there in the fall. The staff was absolutely friendly. They were reall... Read more