Calvin Community

Reviews of Calvin Community

Assisted Living Reviews for Calvin Community

July 05, 2012

By hagend4

I visited Calvin Community to see my grandfather who was staying under long term care at the facility. All of the staff were friendly - greeting visitors with a smile and remembering my grandmother's name (she was a frequent visitor), so the personalized touches were nice. As far as I could tell, the dining area doubled as a recreation area for the residents to socialize in. There was also a garden type area in the back of the facility with a walking path. All in all, there were possibilities for the residents to be entertained.The place is kept clean and organized, and all necessary facilities are there. There was an exercise room across the hall from my grandfather's room with stairs to walk on and an assisted railway path I assume was used for physical rehabilitation for residents that needed it. The place was very presentable and well put together. The only negative thing, which may not be a fault of Calvin Community, but of long term care in general, was that it is tremendously expensive to stay there. My grandmother told me how much it was, and I was quite shocked - it seems like they could hire a full-time live in nurse for their home for the price they paid to stay at Calvin Community.

April 30, 2012

By Amber80

This is a great facility for all kinds of people. Make sure that if you are in the Des Moines, Iowa area and you have a family member or a loved on that is in need of assisted living, or long term nursing home care that you check it out. It is very clean and comfortable. The rooms are spacious and you get to put your own things in them if you want and they feel very homey. The halls and the common areas are all clean and neat and there are a lot of great things in them. The staff is kind and helpful and is always there to help you or the resident if you need anything. They don't let the residents get bored, they have a lot of daily activities and events and the residents can pick and choose what they would like to do. From people that come in and do manicures to movie nights an d more. The food is great as well. All the residents seem to like it. Make sure that you check this facility out.

September 30, 2011

By werewolficd

My father was a resident of this 'fun' and 'friendly' community, yet what I discovered completely blew away the sugar coated facade that Calvin Community claimed to be. When we first visited him, we noticed a strong odor of urine and feces as soon as we walked in. Various residents were scattered here and there, as if in a mental hospital; some calling for help, while others buried in their own misery. The C.N.A.s in charge all seemed to be on break at the same time, as during our 45 minute visit, his call light stayed on right until we left. I went to tell a Nurse that he needed help, but was quickly told that, "I'm on break." in a very snoody tone. Overall, I would never send anyone that I love there, nor would I ever go back if I had the choice. The only reason that I rated it two stars was because of a few of the newer C.N.A.s, who were friendly, and trustworthy.

Services and Amenities of Calvin Community

About Calvin Community

Calvin Community is a senior living provider in Des Moines, Iowa that offers residents Assisted Living, Nursing Homes, and Continuing Care Communities. Contact Calvin Community for more details on services and rates.

Map of Calvin Community