2 Assisted Living Facilities in Peru, IN
The average cost of assisted living in Peru is $2,294 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Peru. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Peru 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Wabash with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Peru, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Peru
Visitors to the north-central Indiana town of Peru tend to pronounce the city's name like the country, but seniors who've lived here their whole lives stress the first syllable, saying the name as "PEE-roo." Home to over 11,400 people, 15.4% of whom are seniors aged 65 and over, Peru has two assisted living facilities that offer safe and comfortable independent living. These residential care facilities, like similar properties across the state, are licensed through the Indiana State Department of Health Residential Care Facility Licensing Program.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Peru
- The weather in Peru is highly seasonal. Summer high temperatures average 84 degrees, while January lows can dip to an average of just 16 degrees. This can be an issue for some cold sensitive seniors. Peru gets a little over 40 inches of rain in the spring and fall, with another 19 inches of snow falling in winter.
- Peru's cost of living is low by national standards. Town residents pay roughly 26% less than the average American to cover all of their personal expenses in Peru. Seniors in Peru pay an average cost for healthcare that's 14% lower than the national average.
Crime rates are on the high side in Peru. Property crimes, such as theft, are roughly 10% more common in Peru than the national average, though seniors in town are relatively safe from violent crime, which is at least 20 percent less common in Peru than elsewhere in the nation.
- Public transportation in Peru must be booked at least 24 hours in advance by calling the Miami County Transportation dispatch office. Service is available throughout the county, and drivers can assist mobility-impaired riders from their front door to the drop-off location. Seniors' caregivers may ride free of charge with a medical letter of authorization, and public grants or specific insurance plans may pay some seniors' fares. All vehicles in the fleet are ADA-equipped and able to accommodate riders with wheelchairs or other mobility aids.
- The Peru area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Logansport Memorial Hospital and Dukes Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Peru has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Area Five Agency on Aging & Community Services, an organization that helps seniors get lower rates on their utility bills through the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), as well as more than one senior center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Peru
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Peru start around $2,294 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Peru and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Peru
Seniors in Peru who meet the income limits for Medicaid may be eligible for help with the cost of assisted living through the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program (RCAP).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Peru
Peru and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Peru, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Peru
Peru-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Peru
Review of Aperion Estates Peru
I found the staff of Aperion Estates Peru to be helpful and the place to be clean. The dining area was very small and conducive to having conversations. I found the community to be very nice. I wou... Read more
Review of Aperion Estates Peru
Aperion Estates was cheap, and we stayed there for about 9 months. The place was fine and well-maintained. There was plenty of space, and you have your own apartment. They have activities like bing... Read more