110 Assisted Living Facilities near Tampa, FL
With an average cost of $2,844 in Tampa, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 395 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 102 facilities in Tampa.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Tampa, FL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Tampa
Because of its location and climate, Tampa is a popular destination for all ages, including seniors — almost 12 percent of the population. The city is infused with Cuban and Spanish cultures as it was once known as a melting pot where people of different cultures came together. Seniors may enjoy the Tampa Riverwalk, TECO Manatee Viewing Center, Hillsborough River State Park, Lettuce Lake Park and Tampa Museum of Art.
Most of the city’s 97 assisted living homes allow elders to continue an independent lifestyle while receiving the support they need, but some are licensed to provide more specialized nursing care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Tampa
- The cost of living in Tampa is about 6 percent lower than the national average. The main contributors to the lower costs are housing and health care which is reflected in the city’s below-average assisted living costs.
- Hillsborough County’s Sunshine Line program provides low-income seniors with door-to-door transportation or bus passes for errands such as doctor’s appointments and grocery trips.
- The crime rate in Tampa is higher than the rest of the state and the national average. There are 5.09 violent crimes per 1,000 residents per year compared to 4.3 in the state and 4 nationally.
- Florida is hot and humid. There are seven months that have average high temperatures between 80 and 90 degrees. January is the coolest month, but temperatures rarely drop below 40 and average highs are still in the 70s.
- With lots of area senior centers, miles of beaches and scores of tourist attractions and museums, there is no shortage of activities around the Tampa Bay area that residents can visit on day trips with family and friends.
- The Tampa area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Tampa General and the James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Tampa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Tampa start around $2,819 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Tampa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Tampa
Seniors in Tampa can apply for assistance through Florida’s MLTC and Assistive Care Services programs which cover supportive services. These waivers neither cover nor cap room and board fees, but the MLTC plan can negotiate those fees on behalf of participants.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Tampa
Tampa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Tampa, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Tampa
Tampa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Tampa, FL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Tampa
Review of Arbor Terrace at Citrus Park- AL
wonderful home like environment you are welcomed as soon as you walk in the door. Read more
Review of Brookdale Bayshore
Everything was wonderful at Brookdale Bayshore, such as the hospitality, the fact that they had a swimming pool, and the whole environment was welcoming and peaceful. It's just very inclusive, if t... Read more
Review of Hudson Manor
We went to Hudson Manor. There was no kitchen facility, but we liked the proximity to the hospital the most. They have some activities. My mom is really interested in swimming, and there is no swim... Read more