Tampa, Florida, is a modern and vibrant city located on Florida’s Gulf Coast. The city is home to about 400,000 residents and about 12.3% of its population are over the age of 65. It has a temperate subtropical climate with hot and humid summers and mild winters making it a popular choice with seniors wanting to escape the cold winters in the north. Seniors in Tampa have access to Tampa General Hospital, which has achieved national ranking by US News in 5 specialties, including cardiology and orthopedics.

Nursing home care provides full-time medical care for seniors with chronic illnesses and disabilities who require constant assistance. This type of care is generally an expensive care option due to the number of qualified staff required to provide this high-level of care. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average monthly cost of nursing home care in Tampa is $9,946, which is higher than the US average of $7,756. Family members may want to look at alternative care options such as assisted living or home care if possible.

This guide looks at the costs of senior care options in Tampa and neighboring cities as well as useful resources.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Tampa, FL

University Village FL

12250 N 22nd St, Tampa, FL, 33612

I have put my mom in Nursing Center At The University Village. It’s great. I think for the value, it’s very good. The staff is great, but the food is bad. They have bingo and music. They have differen … (read more)

Manorcare Health Services Carrollwood

3030 Bearss Ave, Tampa, FL, 33618

My name is Rosa Pérez González. I want to thank you for the attention you gave me. Although I had an unpleasant situation with a nurse named Esther, the other employees are very professional. I want … (read more)

Canterbury Tower

3501 Bayshore Blvd, Tampa, FL, 33629

Canterbury Towers was outstanding, but they couldn’t take us because they had three acute patients already on their ward. They have to balance the number of acute patients against the staff there so … (read more)

Palm Garden Of Tampa

3612 E 138thAve, Tampa, FL, 33613

Great place, great staff and awesome therapy department!!⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Great place, great staff and awesome therapy department!!⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Carrollwood Care Center

15002 Hutchinson Rd, Tampa, FL, 33625

My father went to this rehab. He was in very bad shape and they put him in a wheelchair. He fell out the chair and hit his head ( brain bleed) and we never got an explanation or an apology! He died … (read more)

Woodbridge Rehabilitation & Health Center

8720 Jackson Springs Road , Tampa, FL, 33615

This place is smelly broken doors water not hot makes you wonder if things are sanatized ants in rooms broken televisions most of staff do not care you report to ofgice and they dont care all they car … (read more)

Excel Rehabilitation And Health Center

2811 Campus Hill Drive , Tampa, FL, 33612

Staff was nice but it’s very unorganized. I brought my father 5 pairs of cloths he left w 3 shirts, 2 pairs of underwear and 2 pairs of socks . I never actually saw him wearing any of the cloths I b … (read more)

Fairway Oaks Center

13806 NORTH 46TH ST, Tampa, FL, 33613

When my mother began her journey there, all began rather well and all seemed great. As time went by and I continued to visit her, I noticed some very down moments. Her days began very well, she ate a … (read more)

Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center of Tampa

4411 N Habana Ave, Tampa, FL, 33614

I’m at the Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center of Tampa. It’s fair. Food is not appetizing, and some days I look at it and push it aside. The staff members are very good, very nice, and very friendly … (read more)

The Bristol at Tampa Rehabilitation & Nursing Center

1818 E Fletcher Avenue, Tampa, FL, 33612

My mom was in Accentia for a period of time in rehab because she fell and broke her ribs. She’s back home now. Accentia worked with us well and everything seemed to be in good order. Of course, my m … (read more)

John Knox Village Med Center

4100 E FLETCHER AVE, Tampa, FL, 33613

My mother was admitted to this center to be rehabilitated from a broken pelvis. While there she was neglected, did not get her proper medication and her clothes were stolen twice from her room during … (read more)

South Tampa Health and Rehabilitation Center

4610 S Manhattan Ave, Tampa, FL, 33611

My mother is currently being cared for at South Tampa Health and Rehab. They have been very attentive to her needs and she feels safe and secure at this facility. She likes the food and the friendly … (read more)

Fletcher Health and Rehabilitation Center

518 W Fletcher Ave, Tampa, FL, 33612

Please do not send your relatives here. My husband was here and we had to call 911 to get him out of there before he died. They never cleaned him. He was on feeding tube so he would soil himself. … (read more)

Ybor City HealthCare and Rehabilitation Center

1709 Taliaferro Ave, Tampa, FL, 33602

The rooms are nice and enviromental folks do a great job keeping these rooms clean for the nice people that stay here for one reason or another. No poop smell here ! Most of the staff are nice , bu … (read more)

Mariner Health Of Tampa

3117 W Gandy Blvd, Tampa, FL, 33611

The first thing I noticed with this facility was there was ample parking, beautiful grounds and a large patio and walkway with sitting area outside for the residents and visitors. When I went inside I … (read more)

Whispering Oaks

1514 E CHELSEA ST, Tampa, FL, 33610

Whispering Oaks was wonderful to my brother. When I left with him, they all came up to me and thanked me for allowing them to take care of him. They were excellent. My brother was there for three mont … (read more)

Habana Health Care Center

2916 HABANA WAY, Tampa, FL, 33614

Please, if there are ANY other options, PLEASE take your loved one elsewhere. The place is absolutely filthy. My bedrails were so dirty, I could not grab them to pull myself up in the bed. I’ll chalk … (read more)

The Home Association

1203 East 22nd Ave, Tampa, FL, 33605

Horrible!!!! Do not be fooled by photos. And when you arrive there for a visit, go up to the second floor. All the patients are so drugged up and left in beds. My mom was admitted and because I did n … (read more)

Fletcher Health Care

518 WEST FLETCHER AVENUE, Tampa, FL, 33612

Nursing Home Costs in Tampa, FL

The average monthly cost of nursing home care in Tampa is $9,946 for a semi-private room and $11,391 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Looking at the average monthly cost of semi-private rooms in nursing home care, Tampa costs about $2,190 per month more than the national average of $7,756. Additionally, care costs are higher in Tampa than the Florida state average of $8,669.

Nursing home care costs are similar in the neighboring city of Orlando at an average of $9,125 per month. However, costs in Tampa are higher than in other nearby cities such as Jacksonville ($8,638), Miami ($9,095) and Tallahassee ($7,543).

$9946

Miami

$7543

Tallahassee

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Family members may want to look into other care options for their loved ones if the high level of care in a nursing home is not necessary. At the cheapest end of the scale is adult day care at an average cost of $1,993 per month. Assisted living facilities have an average monthly cost of $3,225. Homemaker services and home health aide services cost an average of $4,195 and $4,576 respectively. At the other end of the cost scale, nursing home care in a semi-private room is $9,946 and $11,391 in a private room.

$1993

$11391

Nursing Home (Private)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Tampa, FL

Free Resources for Seniors in Tampa, FL

Below is a range of resources that seniors living in the Tampa area may find useful. Some of them may help seniors stay home and receive care there at a lower cost than in a nursing home.

ResourceContactServices
Senior Connection Center(800) 963-5337The Senior Connection Center is a nonprofit organization in Tampa that provides a number of services to assist seniors in the area. The Elder Helpline is staffed 24/7 and provides information and connections for seniors to programs that can assist them with in-home care, legal assistance or transportation. Trained volunteers are available each day to assist seniors with Medicaid questions and health insurance issues. Additionally, the organization provides health and wellness courses for seniors covering yoga, healthy eating, balance, active living and managing diabetes.
Meals on Wheels(813) 238-8410The Meals on Wheels program delivers meals to homebound seniors throughout the Tampa area. In order to qualify for the program, seniors need to be 60 or over and unable to prepare a meal for themselves due to a disability or illness. Volunteers deliver a hot meal at noon each day from Monday to Friday. The volunteers also carry out a social wellness check and report any issues to the relevant family members or authorities. There is a small charge for each meal but financial aid is available for those who cannot afford the fees.
Hillsborough County(813) 272-5250The Hillsborough County Department of aging provides a range of free services to seniors in the area. These services include a nutrition program, transportation, adult day services and senior centers. Additionally, it offers in-home care services for those needing respite care or assistance with basic tasks such as meal preparation or light yardwork.