9 Assisted Living Facilities near Zion, IL
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Zion area, with 2 in Zion and 7 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 52 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Zion. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Zion 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Pleasant Prairie with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Zion, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Zion, IL
7 Assisted Living Facilities near Zion, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Zion
Located along the western shores of Lake Michigan near the Wisconsin border, the dynamic city of Zion is a place known for celebrating its history. While only 10.7% of the residents are aged 65 and over, the city has two assisted living communities in town and an additional seven located nearby. In Zion and throughout the state, the Illinois Department of Public Health regulates four distinct types of assisted living facilities under one set of rules: assisted living establishments, shared housing establishments, sheltered care facilities and supportive living facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Zion
- Much of the arts and culture in Zion reflects the city's love of history. Seniors in the area enjoy many different historical spots, including the Zion Museum. Also known as the Shiloh House, this converted mansion features many original and restored objects that were part of the city's early development.
- Seniors concerned about security and safety should be aware that Zion has relatively high rates of crime. The violent crime rate is 13.7 points higher than the national average of 22.7, while the property crime rate is 7.6 points higher than the national average of 35.4.
- Lake Country, where Zion is located, gets a grade of F for ozone pollution from the American Lung Association. Seniors who like to go outside should check the daily air quality before venturing out as ozone pollution can cause various cardiovascular and respiratory problems.
- Seniors looking for a more affordable place for assisted living may find Zion an appealing location. The cost of living here is 9.2 points below the national average of 100 and 10.7 points below the Illinois state average of 101.5.
- Many seniors in Zion benefit from Illinois' friendly tax policies for retirees. Full deductions are provided for all income from Social Security, private and public pensions as well as retirement savings accounts. There is a 1% state tax on pharmaceuticals.
- Zion has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Waukegan.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Zion
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Zion start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Zion and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Zion
Seniors in Zion who qualify for Medicaid will be able to find public financial aid for assisted living. The HCBS Waiver for Supportive Living Facilities covers the cost of supportive services, including personal care assistance and medication management, in assisted living communities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Zion
Zion and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Zion, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Zion
Zion-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Zion
Review of Rolling Hills Place
This assisted living facility is constantly shorthanded. The director is inconsistent in what she will do and not do. The residences are hearing constantly that they are 'short handed' but yet the ... Read more
Review of Barton Senior Residences of Zion
Barton Senior had very small rooms. There were activities, like bingo and crafts, but people were just reading in the lobby. It was clean and orderly. The staff was pleasant. Read more
Review of Rolling Hills Place
Rolling Hills Place was very nice but expensive. The food was fantastic. The way they treated people was very nice. It had very clean and beautiful apartments. They had bingo, big parties to welcom... Read more