21 Assisted Living Facilities near Gurnee, IL
There are 21 Assisted Living Facilities in the Gurnee area, with 6 in Gurnee and 15 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Gurnee is $4,338 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,425. Cheaper nearby regions include Grayslake with an average starting cost of $4,237.
To help you with your search, browse the 152 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Gurnee. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Gurnee 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Libertyville with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Gurnee, call (855) 863-8283.
6 Assisted Living Facilities in Gurnee, IL
15 Assisted Living Facilities near Gurnee, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Gurnee
As part of the Chicago metropolitan area, Gurnee gives seniors easy access to an abundance of restaurants, shops and local attractions. The city is home to 30,957 people — 23.8 percent of whom are age 55 and older. Seniors in the area have 20 assisted living communities from which to choose, including five within the city proper and 15 located in nearby communities. Assisted living facilities in Gurnee, and the rest of Illinois, are licensed and regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Gurnee
Lake County's Division of Transportation operates a public bus system throughout the county. There are several bus routes that run through Gurnee. The area is also served by the Regional Transit Authority (RTA) and the Metra system, making it easy for seniors to get to and from Chicago. The Illinois Department on Aging's Free Ride Permit allows eligible seniors to ride the PACE bus, Metra, CTA buses and RTA buses for free.
- Illinois is considered a tax-friendly state for retirees. Seniors aren't taxed on their Social Security income, withdrawals from retirement accounts or pension payments.
- Gurnee's harsh winter weather may make things difficult for some seniors. The lowest average temperature in January is 24 degrees Fahrenheit, but it's not uncommon for temps to dip into the teens, and snowfall is a regular occurrence. In July, the average high temperature is 72 degrees Fahrenheit, making it easy for seniors to enjoy outdoor activities.
- Living in Gurnee might be difficult for seniors on a low or fixed income. The city's cost of living is 17 percent higher than the national average. Fortunately, the cost of health care services is on par with the state average, but the average cost of groceries is 8 percent higher than the national average and 11 percent higher than the average in Illinois.
- While overall crime rates in Gurnee are 68 percent higher than the Illinois average, the city's violent crime rate is 83 percent lower than the state average and 81 percent lower than that of the United States. Because of this, seniors should feel fairly safe traversing the area on their own.
- The Gurnee area is home to world-class medical facilities, including United Hospital System, North Shore Medical Group and Aurora Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Gurnee
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Gurnee start around $4,338 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Gurnee and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Gurnee
Seniors who need assistance paying for assisted living in Gurnee can apply for one of the state's two Medicaid wavier programs — the Supported Living Program and the Managed Long-Term Services and Supports program. Illinois also has a Optional State Supplement (OSS) available to seniors residing in assisted living facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Gurnee
Gurnee and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Gurnee, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Gurnee
Gurnee-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Gurnee, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Gurnee
Review of Sunrise of Gurnee
Sunrise of Gurnee is an older community. It's very small so they don't have the same activities as the other places I visited. There's only like 40 people there, but the staff was very nice. There ... Read more
Review of Bickford of Gurnee
My grandmother is a resident here, and the only reason I gave 2 stars instead of 1 is because of the amazing CNA’s here. While Bickford is a gorgeous facility and I cannot say enough wonderful thin... Read more
Review of Gurnee Manor
I have been to several homes recently trying to find the best one for my grandmother. I am so glad that I found Gurnee Manor, from their home cooked delicious meals to their excellent care givers a... Read more