9 Assisted Living Facilities near Newark, DE
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Newark area, with 3 in Newark and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Newark is $4,883 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Elkton with an average starting cost of $4,192.
To help you with your search, browse the 78 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Newark. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Newark 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Kennett Square with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Newark find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Newark, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Newark, DE
6 Assisted Living Facilities near Newark, DE
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Newark
Home to the University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware has many locales for seniors to enjoy, including over 650 acres of trails and parks. Seniors, who make up over 11 percent of residents here, will find four assisted living facilities in Newark and 21 near the city including Hockessin and Wilmington and in neighboring towns in Maryland and nearby boroughs in Pennsylvania.
Assisted living facilities (ALFs) in Newark, Delaware are licensed and regulated by the Division of Long Term Care Residents Protection under the state’s Department of Health and Social Services. Newark ALFs provide residential arrangements and personalized assistance for the elderly who do not require skilled nursing care and supervision.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Newark
- Newark’s humid subtropical climate is characterized by hot summers averaging 87 degrees, high amount of rainfall and mild to chilly winters averaging 24 degrees. Its Sperling comfort index of 49 is lower that the national average of 54 and is an important consideration for seniors who like to go outdoors.
- Despite its cost of living slightly higher than the national average, the city of Newark offers seniors partial exemption on property tax, and the state of Delaware has no sales tax and doesn’t tax social security benefits.
- Newark is a very walkable and bicycle-friendly city, and its local and intercity bus and rail systems offer reduced fares for seniors. The UNICITY Bus offers free rides around the community and stops at the Newark Senior Center which also has its own Senior Center bus for door-to-door arrangements. Delaware’s Senior Citizens Affordable Taxi (SCAT) program gives 50% fare discounts to adults 65 and older.
- There is a thriving arts and culture scene in Newark. ALF residents may enjoy trips to museums, art galleries and other exhibits in the University of Delaware and visit local performing arts theaters. The Newark Arts Alliance holds classes and regular events and encourages artists of all ages to showcase their artworks.
- The Newark area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Christiana Hospital and the University of Delaware Emergency Care Unit (UDECU) in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Newark has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Newark Senior Center, an organization that offers affordable meals for all ages and a broad range of programs and services for adults 50+.
Paying for Assisted Living in Newark
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Delaware
Assisted Living costs in Newark start around $4,883 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Newark and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Newark
The Diamond State Health Plan Plus (DSHP-Plus) program by the Division of Medicaid and Medical Assistance (DMMA) of Delaware covers the cost of AL services for eligible seniors in Newark through a 1115 waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Newark
Newark and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Newark, please visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Newark
Newark-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Delaware are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Delaware page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Newark, DE
Other Options in Newark, DE
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Newark
Review of Paramount Senior Living at Newark
Mom moved into the memory care unit of Brookdale White Chapel. The dining area is very nice. She likes the food, and they feed her well. They have arts and crafts and take them out for rides, donut... Read more
Review of Millcroft
Millcroft took very good care of my friend. We were very disappointed with the food. We told them my friend didn't like any kind of seafood, and yet she would continually be given tuna fish sandwic... Read more
Review of Somerford House & Place of Newark
We visited Somerford House & Place of Newark, which was an OK senior community. The staff was very nice and the residents looked busy. We saw some of the rooms and they were adequate. The commu... Read more