60 Assisted Living Facilities near West Chester, PA
There are 60 Assisted Living Facilities in the West Chester area, with 9 in West Chester and 51 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in West Chester is $4,518 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Exton with an average starting cost of $4,263.
To help you with your search, browse the 407 reviews below for assisted living facilities in West Chester. On average, consumers rate assisted living in West Chester 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Downingtown with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 11 families in West Chester find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in West Chester, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in West Chester, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in West Chester
West Chester, Pennsylvania has a population of just over 20,000 with almost 9 percent of residents considered seniors. To meet the needs of this group, there are eight assisted living facilities throughout West Chester, along with another 61 in neighboring communities including Coatesville and Media, as well as Wilmington, Delaware. In each of these facilities, seniors receive room and board in a comfortable residential setting, along with personal care services that include medication management and assistance with the activities of daily living, such as dressing, bathing and grooming. Assisted living facilities in West Chester, and in the rest of Pennsylvania, are licensed by the state's Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in West Chester
- The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) provides public transportation throughout West Chester, connecting the city to Philadelphia and King of Prussia. Discounted fares are available for seniors. SCCOOT and Krapf Transit also provide bus lines that travel through West Chester, and OurBus runs directly from West Chester to Manhattan.
- The West Chester area is home to world-class medical facilities, including West Chester Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Even though it can get hot and humid in West Chester, the weather here is variable, and uncomfortable temperatures rarely last long. Thunderstorms hit during late summer, and heavy snowfall occurs every few years.
- West Chester has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Chester County Department of Aging Services, an organization that provides Medicare counseling and protective services, as well as one senior center.
- The cost of living in West Chester is 37.6 percent higher than the average national cost of living, making this area a good choice for seniors who have ample retirement savings or income.
- West Chester is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in West Chester
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in West Chester start around $4,526 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in West Chester and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in West Chester
While the state of Pennsylvania doesn't offer any financial assistance to help low-income seniors pay for assisted living costs, including through Medicare, it does offer a couple of prescription assistance programs that provide varying degrees of financial benefits based on income. These programs, known as PACE and PACENET, shouldn't be confused with the Medicare PACE program, which is not available in Pennsylvania.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in West Chester
West Chester and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in West Chester, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in West Chester
West Chester-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near West Chester, PA
Other Options in West Chester, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in West Chester
Review of Barclay Friends
My mother experienced negligence at Barclay Friends in West Chester. The heels of her feet turned black from neglect. She had ulcers on her toes. I discovered it by accident because she her ankl... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Westtown
Sunrise of Westtown was very good and I enjoyed the tour. It was a nice place. I saw a specific room that I thought would be perfect for my uncle. The rooms were nice, spacious and clean. I like th... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Westtown
The tour at Sunrise of Westtown was a really good experience, it was very informative, they were very welcoming, and it was a very nice tour as well. It was very clean, kept well, and the rooms wer... Read more