Foulk Living

Offers Assisted Living, Independent Living, Nursing Homes, Continuing Care Communities, and Memory Care

1212 Foulk Road, Wilmington, DE 19803
Foulk Living (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Foulk Living

Assisted Living Reviews for Foulk Living

January 19, 2018

By Mary

We weren't as impressed with Foulk Manor North. The apartments we looked at were smaller and they were more expensive than other places. The facility wasn't as updated and things looked old and used. The main person who was supposed to give us a tour was not in that day so they had someone fill in who was very nice, but it's not her usual job so there were a lot of questions she couldn't answer. Their carpets looked old and the chairs in the hallways need to be replaced.

Dear Mary, as the Executive Director at Foulk Manor North, I can assure you that it is always our intent to exceed the expectations of our guests who visit our senior living community. We take pride in the quality care and comfort we provide to the many happy residents we serve. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your specific needs and welcome your feedback. Thank you for your consideration.

May 30, 2017

By geraldine663820

My aunt is in Foulk Manor, and she loves it there. The rooms were very nice, clean, and modern. The staff was friendly, the food was excellent, and they keep them very active. They had happy hours, parties, and Bingo.

December 13, 2016

My father is not happy at Foulk Manor North at all, mostly because of the staff. They're not good. He's living in a moderately clean apartment, but the windows and the blinds are dirty. The food seems to be OK, and my dad likes the food.

Thank you for your input, we appreciate it. We are very pleased to hear your dad enjoys the food. Please contact the community Executive Director: 302-478-4296 as we will make sure they address the blinds issue. Moreover, Five Star Senior Living communities offer a variety of activities and programs designed to encourage spiritual, mental and physical well-being of our residents. We strive to deliver quality care and hold our staff only to the highest standards of hospitality and service. We encourage you to visit our Lifestyle360 section of our web site with outlines of the program to inspire your father to participate in some of the activities offered: https://www.fivestarseniorliving.com/the-five-star-difference/lifestyle360

November 05, 2016

By Christel477472

Foulk Manor North was friendly, and the apartments are in one building with various sizes.

September 29, 2016

By Linda370547

Foulk Manor was nice. The facilities were nice and clean, and the staff was very informative and professional. I would consider it; however, I wanted something closer to the train station.

June 10, 2016

By Christiane1

Foulk Manor North was very nice. We didn’t go there because their therapy was just a visiting service, and my friend needed it all the time. The facility was great, and the people were very nice. I went through the whole place, and they told me the different levels of care that were available, and I was interested at that time in their assisted living facility as well as respite care. The apartments all looked very nice, well taken care of, and clean. I also was interested in finding out if they had a built-in lift, and I don’t think had that; they had the wheeled-in one. It was very nice, but the therapy is what my friend needed and that was not available.

August 26, 2014

By Candace4

They showed a more compassionate level of care for the people in the assisted living at Foulk Manor North and they were kind of quieter, but that was because of the stage of aging that the residents were in. But the facility itself was very bright, warm, inviting, and uplifting. And, they just showed good care to the patients who live there. They even showed how they had this open policy where people can open their bedroom doors, so that they can see light. One resident even had a pet like a little kitten or maybe it was a tiny puppy, but it was a teeny, tiny animal that they would allow on the premises as long as the pet is a manageable and well-behaved small animal. They don't advertise to bring pets in, but if someone is going to do poorly if their pet is taken away, then they would allow the resident to keep it. It was just amazing to see that this pet was so used to this woman and they thought it would be detrimental to her if they take the pet away, so it was just really nice.

July 22, 2014

Foulk Manor was VERY good. ItÕs clean and orderly. The staff was fine. The organization was good, and the patients seemed to be well taken care of. It seems that they had a problem with a surprise visit from one of my sisters.

May 10, 2014

By Sabra1

Foulk Manor North was one of my favorites. They had 12 apartments, and they offered a memory care unit. I liked the fact that it was small, and so it would have been very personal. The woman who showed us around was very nice, very professional, and very smart. She had a lot of information. She talked to us about a geriatric doctor that they could recommend if Mom went there. I do know that the medication and all that they would give to my mother would have been included in the monthly fee, so there wasn't a lot of extras that they were going to tack on to the initial price. She told us that if any of the residents had special needs, they would be aware of that because it was small. A lot of folks with dementia, when the sun goes down, they have a difficult time at that point of the day. If they knew that my mom was going to have a difficult time at that part of the day, they would have distracted her before that would have even occurred. So that was nice that they were going to be proactive on issues. My mom had gone to the hospital with UTI, and the woman who showed us around said was my mom's UTI never would have sent her to the hospital because they would have recognized that. They know their residents so well that they would have recognized right away if something was unusual with my mother. I liked the kind of care that I thought she was going to get there. They had a small dining room. The apartments were a nice size. They have an activities director six days a week from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, so that's a pretty long time to be there to offer that. They had four aides for three floors and two for night shift. One was always available for the hall my mom would have been in in memory care. The aides were aides for the patients. They had different folks working in the dining room. They had different folks working for cleaning. So it wasn't like the aide had multiple duties of cleaning up dinner or cleaning the apartments and taking care of the residents. I think that's the only place that I found where they had different types of staff for different activities.

November 26, 2013

By caring1614

I found Foulk Manor to be very acceptable. They're clean and the rooms were nice and spacious enough. The work attitude of the staff was excellent and the people were friendly. I like the facility.

November 23, 2013

I was just most impressed with Foulk Manor North. Firstly, it was close to me. We had my mother there in their memory care unit until she had to be moved to a nursing unit. The facility was very nice. They had all kinds of activities for the people. The people that worked there were lovely. I would go there everyday and if I did get there at lunch, I tasted a few things and they were actually good. My mom liked it. I absolutely would recommend this facility to others.

October 13, 2013

By Alice13

My mother spent about two years in Foulk Manor North. I liked everything about that facility. It was lovely and excellent. Everybody was very kind and very nice. Her room was big and wonderful, almost like a suite. There was a little kitchenette and she had a separate bedroom area, two closets and a lovely bathroom.

January 27, 2012

By DelawareTodd

I have visited the Foulk Manor Facility on numerous occasions, typically two times a month to visit a relative who has been a resident over the past year. My impressions of the facility are generally positive for the nature of the business. Upon walking in you notice Foulk Manor is very well maintained and does not appear to be an assisted living facility. The furniture looks new and modern looking and gives the feel of a lively place. Residents can be seen walking around and intereacting with other resdents and staff. I have been approached by personal by residents looking to engage in conversation. The staff takes special attention to tend to the needs of the residents. They engage them in games and activity throughout the day to keep them occupied and entertained. Some residents like peace and quite, they are allowed the ability to stay in their rooms and do things at their leisure. Buses can be seen entering and leaving the grounds through out the day, These are offereed to residents as an opportunity to leave the premises and go places such as doctors appointment, etc. Overall while no one wants to end up in an assited living facility, Foulk Manor of Wilmington is top notch and the staff are very accomidating.

January 06, 2012

By JoePell1

After my grandmother recently passed away, my grandfather decided that he wanted to move into a retirement community. I have always been pretty active in my grandfather's life so I wanted to be one of the ones who went with him to look at places. I have to say, the one that stood out most in my mind was Foulk Manor and I hope it turns out to be the one that he decides on. I had never had a lot of experience with assisted living facilities, I had always thought they were more like hospitals. Some of the facilities we visited fit that mental picture more than others but the one I was most impressed with was Foulk. It was like it was almost like a regular apartment complex only with a lot of really friendly people to help out with the day to day things. The staff there really seemed to care about the people living there. My grandfather has always been pretty independent so the Independent Living facilities they have were perfect for him. The thing that impressed me the most was how peaceful it seemed there with lots of outside areas to sit and relax in. My grandfather has always liked the outdoors so the fact that it wasn't stuck in the middle of a city was perfect for him. It really is beautiful there and I really think my grandfather would be happy living there.

May 29, 2011

By Loveandlight

Friend or relative of resident

I have several church friends who are residents at this facility, and I have taken scout troops to volunteer with residents. The common spaces on the first floor of the main building are spacious and well maintained. The are a variety of space types, which lend themselves to many different activities. Within the facility, there are many levels of care. For those able to live independently, there are garden condos. There are typical assisted living room, and an area for those who need medical care as well as daily living care. There are many assisted living facilities in the area, but this one has been an enjoyable and engaging home for my friends.

Independent Living Reviews for Foulk Living

June 29, 2018

By Grace

Foulk Manor North was very nice. The staff members were very nice too. The lady gave us a lot of information. She seemed to take her time with us. They provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner. As for activities, there is a lady who comes in and entertains the residents with music.

July 17, 2017

By Faith

We were given a tour at Foulk Manor, and that was fine. We had a very good lunch there. The dining area was warm, welcoming, and friendly. We were shown a cottage with two bedrooms, full kitchen, patio, living room, and area for laundry; we liked it. Everybody seemed friendly.

September 30, 2016

We had a very nice visiting experience at Foulk Manor North, and we ended up living in. It is a beautiful community and there was a cottage available with 2 bedrooms, which is what we wanted. It is very nice with a nice kitchen, a living/dining area and 1 bathroom. I enjoy the kitchen that I have.

August 26, 2014

By Candace4

The staff at Foulk Manor North was extremely courteous, overly accommodating, kind, caring, and compassionate. They seemed very interested in providing care and service and they really cared about our situation. Financially, she showed me some different options when it comes to the rooms. She also explained how people transitioned at different stages of life whether it be due to age or because they need a community where they don't have to do everything themselves. She also explained what type of housing and care they offer as well as what might be needed at each point in the different stages of aging -- she was just really helpful and caring. The facility was gorgeous. I would move in there myself. The décor was warm and inviting; the people that we encountered during the tour were happy and at ease with being there -- they were socializing and they had activitie. They also had beautiful garden grounds to walk around and a little enclosed park area where you can sit on benches. It was just really, really top notch. It was so nice.

December 27, 2013

Foulk Manor North was really expensive. I did a tour with their marketing director. It was nice and it was clean. They don't provide furniture for the rooms, you have to provide it yourself. The rooms were extremely small, too.

September 24, 2013

By Lyn6

My mother-in-law has been in Foulk Manor North for two months now. The staff is very good. They seem very attentive and on top of things. Everyone is very nice. Food is good. We actually had lunch there before and we enjoyed it. With regards to activities, they have movies, trips, exercise classes, etc. They also have a shuttle bus that takes them shopping or to restaurants. Overall, it is a nice facility.

August 27, 2013

By Looking for a place

Foulk Manor North is a bright place. It is an excellent facility. The people seem happy there. Their two-bedroom apartments are the same size as the other apartments we checked out, but then again, they are also very small.

Nursing Home Reviews for Foulk Living

May 24, 2012

By chiclet9

While the actual facility was nice, the patients seemed very demotivated and "hum-drum". I had a chance to talk with a few of the patients and they expressed a lot of concearn with the fact that a lot of the nurses ignored their needs because they either A. did not understand the request because they spoke little to no english and B. did not care because they figured the elderly patient would just forget about it. It was very eye-opening to see how residents are actually being treated. Again, aesthetically, the place was very beautiful but after hearing complaints from some of the residents I chose not to take the position.

Questions about Foulk Living

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our Memory Care staff receive yearly training and monthly in-services that they are able to attend.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Foulk Living. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Overall, Foulk Manor North's average age in our Assisted Living is 87 yrs old. Our residents in Assisted Living enjoy an array of activities that our completed by our LifeStyle 360 Program.

What programs or activities does Foulk Living offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Residents can enjoy daily games, such as Bingo, Uno, Classic and Michigan Rummy, to countless days of entertainment provided by our local musicians. Many daily word creations and games to help enrich the quality of life.

What places are near Foulk Living or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Within our community, our Bistro and common areas alike, provide many hands on activities and events our Assisted Living Residents can enjoy. Throughout the North Wilmington Area, our transportation department can assist in providing services to our residents favorite places, church services, dining establishments, or just an overall ride.

What transportation services does Foulk Living offer to assisted living residents?

Transportation is free for all our residents. Depending on the need of the transportation, our drivers can assist our residents routinely Monday thru Friday.

What makes the chef or dining program at Foulk Living exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Chef's our classically trained to provide the upmost dining experience at all times. Our menu ranges on a daily bases to provide quality but tasty meals that everyone is sure to enjoy. If you're not a fan of the menu selections for that day, that's OKAY! We have a wide range of available All-American selections that you can choose at any time!

What safety features or security measures does Foulk Living offer to assisted living residents?

Our nursing department is in our community 24 Hours a day to provide, not only quality of care, but to provide an overall sense of safety. Throughout the evening, we do provide overnight security to ensure our community is safe at all times. During our normal business hours, we have all of our management team and various staff positions in the community to ensure our residents, family and our staff are safe at all times!

How does Foulk Living keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We continually provide newsletters and updated information to our families through email, direct mail, or in house conversations.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Foulk Living during daytime and nighttime hours?

Staff to Resident ratio is always determined by how many residents we have at any given time. In Foulk Manor North, you're loved one or yourself is always at the hands of care at any given time. As many questions arise during this process, our Director of Residential Care is the person to answer any of the staff support questions at the time of your arrival.

If Foulk Living accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Foulk Manor North proudly accepts animals within our community. We ask, though, that you are able to properly care for your animals as we are tasked to ensure you have all the proper care and supports needed for you or your loved one.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our staff continue their education yearly through our in house training and those who carry professional licenses, must continue there education through various programs and courses offered throughout a year.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Foulk Living. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our Independent Living residents our the life of the party within our community. Our residents range in a variety of ages as it about their overall strength and will. On average, our residents range from 80-90 Years of age.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

We are located in the heart of North Wilmington! Our residents have many shopping outlets, dining establishments, churches, and programs that they are able to attend at any given time!

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Foulk Living has organized?

Our residents enjoy various plays and shows that have been within the surrounding area during this past holiday season. Throughout the year, the residents attend many Phillies and Blue Rocks games. Trips to the beach and many more!

What transportation services does Foulk Living offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Foulk Living exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Our Chef's our classically trained to provide the utmost dining experience at all times. Our menu ranges on a daily bases to provide quality but tasty meals that everyone is sure to enjoy. If you're not a fan of the menu selections for that day, that's OKAY! We have a wide range of available All-American selections that you can choose at any time!

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

In our community, common areas are available to our residents at any time of the day or night. Our beloved screened-in porch is our most wanted attraction as it provides to large ceiling fans to provide movement of air, but it embraces our communities' landscape with stunning views of our courtyard. The bistro is our 2nd most favorite as it allows our residents the area to catch up on the news, watch their favorite movies, enjoy a nice beverage and engage in many games and activities throughout the day.

What safety features or security measures does Foulk Living offer to independent living residents?

During the day, our residents have all of our internal staff (housekeepers, maintenance, management, dining services) in the community. In the evening, we continue to provide a front receptionist until 8PM. At that time, our community is serviced by our overnight security guard to ensure our community is protected at all times!

If Foulk Living accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Foulk Manor North is proudly Pet Friendly in our Independent Living! They can enjoy the comfort of the residents room and our outside grounds.

Does Foulk Living work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Foulk Manor North is a non-licensed Independent Living community but we do partner with many Senior Helper companies to provide our residents quality of care and life while residing in the Independent Living. These companies provide a variety of services from Medication Reminders, to help within the everyday ADL's.

What safety features or security measures does Foulk Living provide to protect residents who wander?

At Foulk Manor North, we strive to ensure all our residents are safe and secure from exiting the building without proper safety. In the event we need to use preventative measures, we are able to place a WanderGuard that will alert our staff of any thresholds or access areas if crossed.

What programs or activities does Foulk Living offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our residents are extremely fortunate to have their own LifeStyle 360 Programming. The programming is very in-depth and Montessori based. Our Bridge to Rediscovery Coordinator is very hands on and trained in the many different ways to help encourage, embrace, and overall enhance the quality of life for our Memory Care Residents. The style and difference in activities, help our residents embrace their intellectual abilities and help captivate their abilities to still embrace a common thing; having FUN!

Our assessments our completed by our Director of Residential Care. Each assessment is done every 6 months, but if needed, they can be done right away to ensure we are always maintaining the proper level of care needed for your loved ones at all times.

What techniques does Foulk Living use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Our residents are embraced with family style dining on the well-known "FiestaWare". This provides very bright and enriched colors for the residents to identify what they are using at the current time! Our staff is always assisting during any meal times to ensure they are properly able to eat and enjoy doing such.

How does Foulk Living keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around Foulk Living. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Foulk Manor North is located in the heart of North Wilmington and surrounded by beautiful wooded areas. We are located on Foulk Rd. which is a main drive through the area. We are located next to the Brandywine Library. In our immediate area are many neighborhoods and schools.

Is Foulk Living affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are not directly affiliated with 1 particular hospital but use Christiana Care and St. Francis hospital.

Costs for Foulk Living

• Check

• State Licenses: License # 1306

About Foulk Living

Distinctive Senior Living in Wilmington, Delaware

Nestled on 10 wooded acres with beautiful streams and parklands in a residential area just north of Wilmington, Foulk Manor is a full-service, rental continuing care retirement community offering carefree independent living, the helping hand of assisted living, compassionate memory care, and comprehensive skilled nursing. Right next to the Brandywine Hundred Regional Library and close to shopping and a variety of professional services, this is the place where you’re sure to live your best life every day.

Foulk Living has beautiful cottages with a walking path around the building. It is a stately looking building.

Map of Foulk Living