The Lorelton

Reviews of The Lorelton

Assisted Living Reviews for The Lorelton

September 11, 2022

By Deborah

This is a relatively small and well-kept facility where everyone on the extremely caring staff knows every resident. I just took my mom to her eye doctor who said that Lorelton is one of the few residences where he has never been concerned that his patients will receive their eye drops as ordered. I know my mom is comfortable, safe and well cared-for.

September 08, 2022

By John

The Lorelton provides good care, lots of activities and the staff is friendly and patient. The rooms are beautiful and the director works hard to ensure that the air quality is as virus free as possible. A big plus during these pandemic times.

September 14, 2021

By Diane

The Lorelton in Wilmington's facility was very charming and well maintained. The staff seems to know the residents quite well and cares about them. What was especially nice is that it does not feel institutional. The residents can have some of their furniture or something important to them outside their door and it makes it very charming. It does not seem like an institutional assisted living place at all. The memory care wing is especially lovely. It has lots of light, is beautiful, and has beautiful artwork and paintings. The people I interacted with there seemed like they felt safe and they interacted with us. It was a very, very positive visit, both at the assisted living and the memory care side. I know some people who have lived there. I have talked to them about the meals and they are perfectly happy with it

November 17, 2020

By Annie

I love the birds, the girls and the food. They keep it clean. I have good friends here.

January 23, 2020

By Steven

The Lorelton was an older and unique building, but it was nice. The rooms were OK. They were comfortable and nice, too. The dining room was very nice. I met their manager. The place was a little dated; they need to spruce up some of the common areas that were outdated.

By Mollie

Excellent for friends and connections, which they did not have at private residence. Staff is very caring and helpful when needed, but not overly solicitous.

By Ginny

My sister seems to be happy here. Food is good (I've been here for meals).

By Lisa

Great service. Staff is attentive and friendly. They are responsive to the patient/resident needs and are prompt in following up with family members. My dad enjoys the special lunches that are held and likes the fact that he can bring family members.

By Estalla

Attention to residents is tops. Good food. I have been here in The Lorelton going on nine years now. I really enjoy it. I like the people who work here and I enjoy being here. Food is nice. You get three meals a day and you don't have to pay for the food. I'm very happy and comfortable. We have 24-hour service. I'm very satisfied.

November 22, 2018

By Cynthia

Personally, I receive good care. Usually, when there is a problem, it is taken care of immediately.

November 12, 2018

By Angeline D.

I've been here 6 years and have been very happy.

November 07, 2018

By Betty

I like everything about it! Been here 2 years.

November 01, 2018

By Lucia

I love The Lorelton. It's like living with family. The staff is friendly and very helpful. My apartment is very comfortable and it's my home. There's great activities and always something to do.

January 31, 2018

By Toni

I liked The Lorelton. It was a very nice community but we're not going to be able to afford that. The person who took us around was very nice, informative, and we appreciated that she took a lot of time with us. The rooms were nice and it seemed like we could personalize it if we wanted to, which I liked. It also seemed like there was enough space. I liked the dining room setup, which was cheerful and nice.

April 18, 2017

By Betsy471343

The Lorelton was a nice, open facility but we were in need of a memory care unit which was not in place yet. The rooms that were being put together for the memory care unit and the assisted living were very reasonable. You had sun in the morning and in the evening on whichever side of the building you were on, plus basic amenities. It looked like they were in the process of upgrading and are a project under construction.

January 02, 2017

By Maureen526542

The Lorelton is great. They have lovely rooms of different sizes wherein people need to bring their furniture. It is an old building, but they keep it lovely. They have things going on every day. They sang Christmas carols and have Bingo and all kinds of things. My mother is not a bingo person but she does go to the musical things, and they have children who come in and sing. The food is very good. They have their own nursing staff, which is very good, and they offer therapy for my mother.

September 30, 2016

The Lorelton was very nice, but it wasn't for us. The staff treated us very nicely, and they were very friendly and accommodating. It only had apartments, and it was not what I was interested in. The place was clean and modern, and it didn't have a nursing home smell at all. The parking was not very good because it was a street parking.

May 10, 2016

By MaryDVHVM

The Lorelton was beautifully decorated with really friendly and welcoming staff. They had a beautiful dining room. It's an old historic school in the City of Wilmington that was converted into rooms and apartments. I toured with one of the sales managers who was very friendly. It was a large, lovely facility with bright hallways, well lit with big bright beautiful windows in all of the apartments. They had lots of activities like gardening outside, sponsored movies, clubs and groups, and trips outside the facility. They also had a craft room. Regular groups go together based on interests and hobbies that were expressed by the residents, and clubs were formed around the collective interest of the community, not just a social worker or an activities director. The apartments were just so bright with high ceilings and big, beautiful windows.

March 15, 2016

By Caring Husband4

Lorelton was the one that I liked the best, but it was very expensive. The rooms were very large. I had a meal there of prime rib, and it was excellent. They seemed to have a lot of activities going on. There was a lot of interaction and games for the residents. I was impressed with the size of it, the courtesy of the staff, and the fact that people seemed happy there.

November 30, 2015

By Rosemary26

We went to The Lorelton. I was impressed with it. It was very nice. The apartments were extremely nice and spacious. There was a lady doing chair exercises and everybody seemed happy. The staff was very nice and pleasant. The place was clean and had a very homey atmosphere.

September 12, 2015

By Caring116720750

The services here are very satisfactory and the convenience and happiness of the residents are of prime concern. The friendliness and kindness of the staff are a great asset.

June 29, 2015

By Caring109019250

The Lorelton is a nice facility, and my father seems well adjusted. The staff is very helpful, and they have nurses. They have very nice and clean apartments. He has a one-bedroom apartment. The dining room is the one thing we really like, which looks like a restaurant. They have a lot of different things everyday -- trips to the casino, to the grocery store, to the restaurant -- and they have walks.

Memory Care Reviews for The Lorelton

By David

Excellent. Great staff and the care is personal. The administration is awesome to work with and make sure they help you any way they can. For us, the Lorelton is an additional home and the people like family. That is how they treat us. My mom is in their memory care level right now.

November 28, 2018

By Pat

The beautiful memory care dazzled the eye! The rooms are filled with natural light. The staff is terrific from the front desk and throughout the facility, residents (and often visitors) are greeted warmly by name. He had wonderful care here.
See all Memory Care reviews (6) See fewer reviews

Questions about The Lorelton

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at The Lorelton. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The Lorelton has a great mix of residents both Ladies and Gents. Many are still young and active, and others need a little more help but it doesn't stop them from joining into all the great activities we do everyday!

What programs or activities does The Lorelton offer to enrich residents' well-being?

The most popular activities at The Lorelton are Golf, Tai Chi, Bocce Ball, Bingo, Arts & Crafts Classes and our most attended activity would have to be Happy Hour on Tuesdays & Fridays. We call it Social Hour because not all drink alcohol but all have a great time snacking on a variety of Hors d" Oeuvres and beverages provided.

What places are near The Lorelton or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We have a bus stop right out front, but if you're in the mood for a stroll we have many area restaurants, convenience stores, salons, libraries, churches, dollar tree, water ice, fast food and much more. We are considered to be the "Art District" of Wilmington, so the sky's the limit!

What transportation services does The Lorelton offer to assisted living residents?

We take trips every week to the grocery store, the dollar store, the post office, the bank and many other places one needs to visit regularly. We also provide medical transportation if needed. We also have Doctors who visit so you can be seen by Primary Care, Podiatry and Psychiatry.

What makes the chef or dining program at The Lorelton exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

You can literally eat 3 delicious meals at The Lorelton for only $10.00 a day!! Our Dining Director purchases everything locally and our chefs prepare each meal with care and to your specification. We can accommodate all types of diets and the best part is every resident at The Lorelton gets a free meal every day! We also have brunch every Sunday, hors d' oeuvres at social hour, and make a door to door snack delivery every day and when we throw a party, which is about every month, WE GO ALL OUT residents are free and so are guests!

What safety features or security measures does The Lorelton offer to assisted living residents?

The Lorelton's dedicated nursing staff does quarterly health checkups on each resident and we have Bayada here every day to provide Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy so we can keep you strong and healthy. The stronger you are, the less likely you are to fall. We also have a yearly clinic on site for flu and pneumonia shots. We try to keep everyone hydrated and if we see a change in behavior we get you checked out.

How does The Lorelton keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We reach out to families anytime your loved one is ill, and if they have a year with no issues they get a yearly update in writing. We're a family at The Lorelton, and many loved ones visit often. If we see you, and you've got time to chat we sit down and discuss any and all concerns in person.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at The Lorelton during daytime and nighttime hours?

Although we are Not For Profit, and Family Owned The Lorelton doesn't cut corners when it comes to staffing. We are actually staffed at a Skilled Nursing Level. Our Nurse to Resident Ration in Assisted Living is 1 to 11 and in Memory Care its 1 to 4. Our "call bell" time is literally within minutes. We log every call for help, the time it came in, and the time it was answered.

If The Lorelton accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

The Lorelton does allow pets as long as the resident is able to care for it. Many have cats, but dogs are welcome too as long as they are leashed and under 25 pounds. There is a park directly across the street for walks. For those who would rather just visit with a pet than own one, we also have Therapy Pets that you can sign up to visit. Think of it like a grandchild. They come to visit, give you joy and go home. :)

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

The Lorelton has full time RN's, LPN's as well as nurses aids at all times. Each staff member continues their education and keeps up to date with their certifications. We hold monthly staff meetings designed to not only team build, but to further educate our staff. Lorelton staff members also take continuing education classes online and also attend local conferences. In addition, our Memory Care Director has every geriatric and ALzheimer''s certification you can acquire.

What safety features or security measures does The Lorelton provide to protect residents who wander?

The Lorelton has a dedicated secured memory wing that was completely renovated called Lore Village. It was designed to look and feel as though you're walking down a lovely street in Tuscany Italy. When you visit for the first time, it's like stepping into a whole new world.

Costs for The Lorelton

• Tai Chi

• Staff Patient Ratio: 11:1
  • Pets: Yes

About The Lorelton

Built in 1932, The Lorelton building was originally the historic Charles B. Elementary School. Taking up and entire city block, our amazing architectural structure gives our residents not only a great deal of space but each apartment features high ceilings and literally endless walls of windows. The Lorelton is owned by a Foundation not a chain. We are Non-Profit so we keep our rates reasonable. We are locally owned and managed so we have the flexibility to incorporate our resident’s wants and needs into their day rather than rules dictated by a corporate VP via conference call.

We’ve got privacy when you want to be alone, and people nearby when you want to share experiences. If you’re looking for a dedicated caring home like community with friendly staff and residents then you’ve come to the right place!

Map of The Lorelton