Known for its cultural outlets, parks and downtown area, New Britain is the retirement community of choice for many older Americans: Of the city’s 72,945 residents, over 13% are seniors 65 years of age or above. They can pick from an array of strong medical facilities, with one example being Hartford HealthCare’s New Britain General Campus, which offers many services.

Some older adults choose to live in assisted living communities to ease the burdens of everyday life, especially when keeping up with one’s daily tasks becomes taxing. Aid with meals, personal care and medication is typically available at these facilities, and staff members handle chores such as laundry and housekeeping. Assisted living communities tend to also emphasize socialization. The Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey reports that in New Britain, assisted living costs an average of $5,753 per month. That is lower than the Connecticut state average of $6,300, but it is higher than the national average of $4,300.

This guide offers a detailed look at prices for assisted living and other options in New Britain. Then, it gives information on sources of aid for New Britain’s older adults.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in New Britain, CT

Jerome Home and Arbor Rose

975 Corbin Avenue, New Britain, CT, 06052

I liked Jerome Home. They keep it nice and the rooms are beautiful. They have a nice dining room. The staff was very nice. The facility was well kept and it was clean.

Mulbery Gardens at Marian Heights

314 Osgood Ave, New Britain, CT, 06053

Atria Greenridge Place

One Elizabeth Court, Rocky Hill, CT, 06067

The tour experience at Atria Greenridge Place was very good. It was informative. The tour guide took us through all the living areas. There were two model units that were open and available, so he sho … (read more)

Brookdale Gables Farmington

20 Devonwood Drive, Farmington, CT, 06032

We are choosing Brookdale Gables Farmington for my parents. We had a great tour of the place. The staff was on time and they were friendly. I liked the layout of the building. And the lake view, I thi … (read more)

River Ridge at Avon

101 Bickford Extension, Avon, CT, 06001

I’m not impressed at all with River Ridge at Avon. It doesn’t have that warm and cozy feeling. There’s just some vibe I didn’t like there. The rooms were small and there was nothing special about it. … (read more)

The Village at South Farms

645 Saybrook Road, Middletown, CT, 06457

I toured The Village at South Farms, and it was a nice facility. However, the studio apartment is way too small. Although, it offered a lot and was very clean. The staff there was very, very congenial … (read more)

The Village at Kensington Place

511 Kensington Ave, Meriden, CT, 06451

The Village at Kensington Place is a senior living community located in Meriden, Connecticut, near I-691 and shopping centers. Visitors describe the facility’s apartment-style rooms as clean and spaci … (read more)

2014, 2015

AVIVA West Hartford

1 Hamilton Heights Drive, West Hartford, CT, 06119

I toured and I liked it a lot. I liked the programs that they had to keep the seniors busy for assisted living. I also liked the apartments that they had. There was the efficiency, the one-bedroom apa … (read more)

Brookdale West Hartford

22 Simsbury Road, West Hartford, CT, 06117

The rooms at Brookdale West Hartford were lovely. The one that I looked at has been newly painted and newly carpeted. The cabinets in the little kitchenette were in good condition, but could still be … (read more)

Addison Place at Glastonbury

1177 Hebron Avenue, Glastonbury, CT, 06033

I really, really liked Addison Place at Glastonbury. I’m hoping my parents will pick it. The staff is very, very professional, very caring, and a very nice feel. They showed me the whole facility, and … (read more)

The Residence at Ferry Park

60 Cold Spring Rd, Rocky Hill, CT, 06067

I liked that The Residence at Ferry Park had both assisted living and memory care. The people could go back and forth between the two. So if a resident of memory care wants to go to some type of funct … (read more)

Brookdale Chatfield

One Chatfield Drive, West Hartford, CT, 06110

I liked Brookdale Chatfield a lot. They were very good, but the location was tough for me. They had a nice facility and a nice set up. The garden was very nice.

The Hearth at Glastonbury

281 Western Blvd, Glastonbury, CT, 06033

I toured The Hearth at Glastonbury. They were very detail-oriented in providing total care for the people that live there. One of the most important things from my mother was her spiritual needs and e … (read more)

The Residence at Brookside

117 Simsbury Road, Avon, CT, 06001

The Residence at Brookside was lovely and brand new. The staff was very lovely. The rooms were postage stamp-size. They were so tiny, I could never live there. The 1-bedroom wasn’t any bigger either … (read more)

Hoffman SummerWood Community

160 Simsbury Road , West Hartford, CT, 06117

Hoffman SummerWood generates a lot of people of the Jewish faith. It is basically built by Jewish people, so the food is kosher, and the majority of their residents are Jewish. There is nothing wrong … (read more)

Anthology of Simsbury

142 Cooper Avenue, Weatogue, CT, 06089

Anthology of Farmington

1 Bridgewater Road, Farmington, CT, 06032

I went to look at the Anthology of Farmington. The person I spoke to was very nice and informative. She took me through to show me the possible unit my mother could be staying in. She showed me the ca … (read more)

The McAuley

275 Steele Rd, West Hartford, CT, 06117

Blessed House

122 East Main Street, Plainville, CT, 06062

Avery Heights

550 Avery Heights, Hartford, CT, 06106

What to Consider About Assisted Living in New Britain

In Connecticut, the Facility License and Investigations Section of the Department of Health oversees assisted living facilities. To provide assisted living care in the state, facilities require a license from the Department of Health. Various rules govern the operation of assisted living facilities.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New Britain

• Along with the New Britain General Campus, the city is also home to the Hospital for Special Care, which focuses on patients with unique needs. Additionally, seniors in New Britain are relatively close to the UConn Health system.
  • Senior transportation is available from organizations like the Human Resources Agency of New Britain and Senior Transportation Services.
  • New Britain can be quite cold in the winter; however, its overall climate rates out as more comfortable than the climate in most other Connecticut locales. Seniors looking for four-season weather may enjoy it here.
  • Unfortunately, Connecticut taxes retirement income, including Social Security payments, and it has relatively high property taxes. On the bright side, there are age- and income-based relief programs for property taxes, and seniors may also be eligible for exemption from taxes on Social Security benefits.
  • Somewhat atypically for Connecticut, New Britain features a lower-than-average cost of living. On the Best Places scoring system, New Britain’s cost of living is rated at 95.7, which is lower than the United States average of 100 and the Connecticut average of 107.8. (In this system, lower numbers mean an area is more affordable.) Relatively low health care and housing costs contribute to New Britain’s overall score.
  • The New Britain Senior Center offers many perks for older adults, including service coordination, community support programs and health and wellness clinics. Seniors can also socialize with their peers through this venue.
  • Older adults with far-flung relatives may be interested to know that multiple airports service Connecticut. In particular, the Hartford–Brainard Airport is not far from New Britain.

Paying for Assisted Living in New Britain

Knowing what assisted living costs can make it easier for seniors to decide if it’s the right option. In New Britain, the average assisted living facility charges $5,753 per month, as reported by the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

New Britain’s average rate is lower than the Connecticut median of $6,300. As for other Connecticut cities, Norwich’s average rate is $5,700, making it slightly less expensive than New Britain. Otherwise, New Britain is very competitive: It is several hundred dollars cheaper than New Haven, where assisted living typically costs $6,445, and over $2,000 less expensive than Bridgeport, where the median rate is $7,838.

$5753

Norwich

$6445

New Haven

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

In New Britain, assisted living is more expensive than adult day health care, which runs an average of $1,896 per month. Also cheaper than assisted living facilities are home care and home health care, which have median rates of $4,528 and $4,767, respectively. However, seniors in assisted living pay much less than those in nursing homes, where the rate is $13,079 for a semiprivate room and $13,992 for a private one.

$4528

Adult day health care

$5753

Assisted living

$13079

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$13992

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for New Britain was not available, so data for the nearest city, Hartford, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Britain

Any resident that qualifies for Medicaid can use the program to pay for assisted living facilities. Low-income individuals who prefer to live in an ALF rather than a nursing home may also receive help through the Assisted Living Waiver Program.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Connecticut

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in New Britain

Long-term planning, including that for assisted living, becomes simpler when seniors tap into resources set up to help them. The following organizations and programs can provide input on and assistance with medical coverage, seniors’ rights and other important matters.

ResourceContact Service
CHOICES

(800) 994-9422In Connecticut, CHOICES is a statewide Medicare counseling program. The North Central Area Agency on Aging handles the program in New Britain. The counselors of CHOICES conduct eligibility screenings and help seniors compare plans, and they also provide enrollment assistance. The program’s counselors may provide referrals when appropriate, too. They work confidentially and at no cost.
Community Choices(800) 994-9422Community Choices is a program the NCAAA administers. This outreach- and information-focused initiative educates seniors on long-term supportive services. Community Choices also assists family members. The program’s aid includes person-centered planning help as well as information and referrals. Advocacy is an additional function Community Choices’ personnel serve.
Connecticut Long Term Care Ombudsman Program(866) 388-1888The LTC Ombudsman Program aims to boost the quality of life for residents of assisted living facilities. It conducts consultations with residents and their family members, and it investigates and works to resolve concerns. The number at left is for the program’s general line; interested parties can also call the regional office serving New Britain at (860) 424-5221.
Office of Advocacy and Assistance(203) 805-6340Military veterans, including seniors, can contact the Office of Advocacy and Assistance for help accessing their service-related benefits. The office’s goals include counseling veterans and their spouses and dependents on available health care, rehabilitation and housing programs. The organization also represents veterans in matters before the US Department of Veterans Affairs.
Connecticut Legal Services(860) 344-0447CLS is a nonprofit law firm that helps vulnerable populations, including low-income older adults. This organization assists seniors on matters such as receiving and maintaining Medicare and Medicaid benefits, which may be of use for paying for long-term care. CLS also helps set up health care directives and durable powers of attorney, among other measures.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Britain

New Haven-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Connecticut