29 Assisted Living Facilities near West Hartford, CT
Also serving communities of Hartford.
There are 29 Assisted Living Facilities in the West Hartford area, with 5 in West Hartford and 24 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in West Hartford is $3,696 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,425.
To help you with your search, browse the 137 reviews below for assisted living facilities in West Hartford. On average, consumers rate assisted living in West Hartford 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Newington with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in West Hartford find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in West Hartford, call (855) 863-8283.
5 Assisted Living Facilities in West Hartford, CT
24 Assisted Living Facilities near West Hartford, CT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in West Hartford
West Hartford, located in central Connecticut, is one of the 50 best places to live in the United States, according to Money magazine. Nearly 18 percent of the town’s 63,000 residents are seniors. With 23 assisted living facilities in West Hartford itself, and another 113 in the surrounding towns, local seniors have many choices.
Connecticut’s assisted living facilities are home to seniors who need assistance with personal care tasks. These facilities are licensed as assisted living services agencies by the Connecticut State Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in West Hartford
- The West Hartford area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Hartford Hospital and UConn John Dempsey Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illnesses.
- Winters in West Hartford are cold and snowy, with lows in the teens and an average of 36 inches of snow per year. However, summers are warm, with highs in the 80s. Seniors who participate in winter activities, like snowshoeing, may appreciate the climate.
- West Hartford’s cost of living is 27.6 percent higher than the national average. Housing costs are the biggest factor, though other budget categories, such as healthcare and transportation, are also more expensive. Other towns in Connecticut may be more suitable for seniors on tight budgets.
- Connecticut has been ranked one of the least tax-friendly states for retirees by Kiplinger. Social Security benefits aren’t exempt from state income tax, and neither are retirement plans or private pensions. Seniors who want to lower their tax burdens may want to consider retiring elsewhere.
- Seniors in West Hartford can browse the town’s many museums and galleries, including the Noah Webster House and West Hartford Historical Society. They can also visit any of the town’s 39 historic sites, such as the Sarah Whitman Hooker House. Concerts, plays and sporting events are offered year-round at the nearby University of Hartford.
- West Hartford has one of the highest crime rates in the state. Its crime rate is higher than 95 percent of communities in Connecticut. This is largely driven by property crime, and the risk of becoming a victim of violent crime is extremely low: only 1 in 942.
Paying for Assisted Living in West Hartford
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in West Hartford start around $3,856 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in West Hartford and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in West Hartford
West Hartford seniors may be eligible for assistance through the Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders, a Medicaid waiver program. Connecticut also provides top-up payments to SSI recipients who live in assisted living facilities through the optional state supplementation program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in West Hartford
West Hartford and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in West Hartford, please visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in West Hartford
West Hartford-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near West Hartford, CT
Other Options in West Hartford, CT
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in West Hartford
Review of Brookdale West Hartford
My brother moved into Brookdale West Hartford, it's good, and he likes it. The staff is good, and he has a studio apartment. They have painting, puzzles, and a lot of different stuff that they do. ... Read more
Review of Atria Hamilton Heights
Would not recommend this place. No real concern for the elderly, money driven. They prey upon your "what's best for Mom" emotions and try to make it sound like they care. They don't. I feel this in... Read more
Review of Atria Hamilton Heights
Would not recommend this place. Unfortunately, all they really want is your money. No real concern for the elderly. They prey upon your "what's best for Mom" emotions and try to make it sound like ... Read more