Situated in the northwestern portion of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, Rockville is a city of 68,079 residents, where approximately 16% are over the age of 65. The city has relatively low crime and a higher than average number of physicians, making it particularly appealing to retirees who place high importance on their health and safety. Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center and other local health care facilities serve most of the city’s emergency medical care needs, while nearby Washington and Baltimore also provide a large range of health care providers.

In the city’s nursing homes, seniors are supervised around the clock by nursing and physicians and can receive an array of care services such as injections, medication management, wound care and diabetes management. At $11,726 a month, Rockville’s average cost of nursing home care is significantly higher than the national average and above the statewide median as well, which should give seniors with less serious medical conditions additional incentive to look into assisted living and home care.

This guide offers an overview of the cost of senior care in Rockville as well as resources that may help seniors pay for care and resolve issues they may encounter while living at a nursing facility. Programs that may help seniors delay nursing home placement are included as well.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Rockville, MD

Hebrew Home of Greater Washington

6121 MONTROSE ROAD, Rockville, MD, 20852

Perhaps Hebrew Home was a good facility in the past, but no more. Do not place your loved one in this facility. The nursing staff does not meet residents’ basic needs, nor do they provide a caring env … (read more)

The Village at Rockville—A National Lutheran Community

9701 VIERS DRIVE, Rockville, MD, 20850

I thought about writing this, for months now, but after what happen there everyone should know. They don’t deserve any stars. I am an RN and what happen with my Aunt everyone should know what they … (read more)

Potomac Valley Nsg & Wellness

1235 POTOMAC VALLEY ROAD, Rockville, MD, 20850

Extremely poor communication from staff to families. Once Medicare stops covering patient will be discharged. Dishonest assessment of ADLs done specifically to get rid of patients with complex dementi … (read more)

Collingswood Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center

299 Hurley Ave, Rockville, MD, 20850

Do not put your loved one at Collingswood. My Dad was there recently and he was transferred from the hospital. He was in COVID isolation for a week and a half and we could not visit. No one called us … (read more)

Sterling Care Rockville Nursing

303 ADCLARE ROAD, Rockville, MD, 20850

The care my mother received was awful. Initially, she lived at home and walked, showered, and dressed herself. She was discharged from there, unable to sit without support, get up, stand, walk, or dre … (read more)

Genesis Shady Grove

9701 MEDICAL CENTER DRIVE, Rockville, MD, 20850

The staff was very kind to us but there is a trend of indifference to the senior citizens. The staff will treat them respectfully but often times they will ignore certain cries of pain or discomfort … (read more)

Asbury Methodist Village

201 Russell Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD, 20877

My relative was at Asbury Methodist Village for rehab. She was asking her caregiver what the medicines were for, but she couldn’t tell her. She could have gone back to the desk and found out. I think … (read more)

2014, 2015

Bedford Court

3701 International Drive, Silver Spring, MD, 20906

We went to see the rehab center of Bedford Court, but they also had assisted living. The staff was nice. It was a smallish facility in that there weren’t that many rehab rooms. The staff was very prof … (read more)

Arcola Health and Rehabilitation Center

901 ARCOLA AVENUE, Silver Spring, MD, 20902

My brother is in Arcola Health and Rehabilitation Center. I won’t really call them attentive, but due to everything, everybody who’s been there, and what’s going on, I can understand. They could also … (read more)

Brooke Grove

18131 Slade School Rd, Sandy Spring, MD, 20860

My mother was there over Christmas and into January 2022. We chose Brooke Grove because my father was there and had a good experience years ago. Things have changed. Rude employees, unresponsive … (read more)

Friends House Retirement Community

17340 Quaker Lane, Sandy Spring, MD, 20860

My mother was here for rehab after a fall. She broke her hip and tailbone. She would wait over an hour after pressing the button for a nurse so she could use the bathroom. They never cleaned her room … (read more)

Montgomery Village Health Care Center

19301 Watkins Mill Road, Montgomery Village, MD, 20886

After an unexpected life change, I found myself in the care of the Montgomery Village Health Care Center for some rehabilitation. Within 24 hours, nearly every department supervisor stopped by to welc … (read more)

Promedica Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Wheaton

11901 GEORGIA AVENUE, Wheaton, MD, 20902

I was never fond of Manor Care. The care that my loved one is receiving is impeccable. The PT and OT worked really hard with him to get him back on his feet. Nurse Maria, Prudence and Ruth keeps me in … (read more)

Autumn Lake Healthcare at Oakview

2700 Barker Street, Silver Spring, MD, 20910

All the staff was so AWESOME!!!!!!!! My dad was so comfortable with them. He loves the food and the activity. The activity ladies was so great with my dad. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!!!

Manorcare Health Services – Potomac

10714 Potomac Tennis Lane, Potomac, MD, 20854

I was a patient for about three weeks. I found the facility to be clean and uncluttered. The Physical and Occupational Therapists were very good and made sure that I was doing my exercises correctly … (read more)

Layhill Center

3227 Bel Pre Road, Silver Spring, MD, 20906

My relative is currently there and when I call to get updates, I either have to wait on hold for 30+ mins or dont get a call/email back. Recently I took her lunch at 1:15pm and left it at the front … (read more)

Manorcare Health Services – Bethesda

6530 Democracy Boulevard, Bethesda, MD, 20817

Right now, my father is at ManorCare Health Services-Bethesda because the other facility that we chose didn’t have a spot right away, but he’s supposedly gonna move over there this week. I think they’ … (read more)

Bethesda Health and Rehabilitation

5721 GROSVENOR LANE, Bethesda, MD, 20814

My father was given 9-12 months to live, from Prostate Cancer. We tried our best to keep him at home his final months. He was under the care of another facility, which was a great organization. We tri … (read more)

Carriage Hill Bethesda

5215 CEDAR LANE, Bethesda, MD, 20814

My father’s health declined precipitously in January 2022 while in the "care" of Carriage Hill. He went into their rehab unit with a broken hip and contracted multiple infections based on improper car … (read more)

Wilson Health Care Center

301 Russell Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD, 20877

My 87 year old father broke his hip and was admitted here on June 6, 2022. Their COVID policy required him to be in isolation for five days although he was fully vaccinated and had 2 negative Covid t … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Rockville, MD

Semiprivate rooms in Rockville’s nursing homes cost an average of $11,726 per month. For private rooms, the median cost is $13,059 a month.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Nursing home care in Rockville is more expensive than in most areas of the country, including most cities in Maryland, where the average cost of care is $1,536 less than in Rockville. Out of the cities closest to Rockville, California and Cumberland have some of the lowest costs of care at $8,137 and $8,213 a month respectively. In Hagerstown, seniors spend about $1,932 less on nursing home care than seniors in Rockville. Baltimore is one of Maryland’s cities with the highest cost of nursing home care, at $11,984 a month which is $258 more than Rockville’s average.

$11726

Baltimore

$8137

California

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

At $1,744 a month, adult day health care is the most affordable type of senior care and less than half the cost of the second-most affordable type, home care. On average, home health care costs $166 more than home care, and assisted living has a median cost of $6,000 per month. For a private room in a nursing home, seniors typically spend $13,059 a month, making it the most expensive type of care.

$4601

Adult day health care

$6000

Assisted living

$11726

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$13059

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Rockville was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Washington, D.C. was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Rockville, MD

Free Resources for Seniors in Rockville, MD

The following programs and services can help seniors who are looking for ways to pay for nursing home care or delay moving into a nursing facility by receiving care services at their homes. We also include advocacy services for current nursing home residents.

Resource

Contact

Service

Counselors with SHIP advise seniors on their eligibility for Medicare and which plans best meet their needs. In addition to its one-on-one counseling, SHIP holds frequent seminars to review common questions and issues faced by seniors reviewing insurance options. The program's employees are well-versed in Medicare's prescription drug savings plans and supplement insurance, and all counseling services are free.

Provided by the Montgomery County Aging and Disability Resource Unit, the IHAS program helps seniors avoid moving into a nursing home by providing in-home services such as meal preparation and assistance with eating, bathing and dressing. To qualify, seniors must be unable to receive the necessary services from other sources, willing to receive the services and able to pay a cost share when necessary. Depending on the program's funding and an individual's income, some seniors won't have to pay any fees.

The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program ensures seniors in nursing homes are receiving the standard of care required by law and are not subject to any forms of neglect or abuse. The program's employees also help seniors learn about and choose nursing facilities before they become residents.

At the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services, seniors can apply for Medicaid and other social welfare programs such as food and cash assistance. The office helps seniors who need to check the status of their applications or inquire about their benefits.